Sign in to follow this  
RedStar25

Pulse Memorials and Services

I'm so thankful FUMCO continues to be the progressive light of the downtown churches; in fact, getting more progressive with each passing year. All the more amazing given recent setbacks in the Methodist Church nationwide.

A really great article about FUMCO from Orlando Weekly:

http://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/06/13/a-year-later-orlando-church-tolls-the-bells-again-for-pulse-victims

The Weekly is about as secular a publication as there is so when they mention FUMCO as a safe space, it really is.

Years ago, my ex and I were sitting in our Sunday school group at FUMCO when this man I had never seen before came in with a flyer and was all hot and bothered about "those gays" and what we were going to do about them. At the time, my ex and I weren't exactly out to everyone in the congregation but enough people (including then Pastor Curry) knew or had seen us together at services for months that it was pretty obvious we were a couple.

Almost instinctively, the group closed ranks and made it clear that this man's agenda was the outlier and made sure my partner and I knew we were welcome. 

As one of Orlando's founding churches, FUMCO has been on the frontline of so many good things, including work with the homeless, working for inclusiveness with the African-American community, and supporting the LGBTIAQ community (PFLAG even meeting there.) 

The United Methodist Church nationwide is still struggling with affirming our presence in the Church, but FUMCO has been an ideal of what a Downtown Orlando church should be.

• Like 3