IKEA to Nashville

smeagolsfree

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Image result for wat

You can post a meme making fun of an elderly handicapped woman to get your point across if you want, but the truth is what it is. In Europe IKEA is low end.. a place to go for cheap 20 euro 5-drawer book case. As I said perfect for Antioch.. and perfect for Memphis. Cheers.

18 minutes ago, bellinibean said:

You can post a meme making fun of an elderly handicapped woman to get your point across if you want, but the truth is what it is. In Europe IKEA is low end.. a place to go for cheap 20 euro 5-drawer book case. As I said perfect for Antioch.. and perfect for Memphis. Cheers.

And perfect for Memphis it is. I've been there many times in the few months since it opened. I feel sorry for the Ashley right next to it.

6 hours ago, bellinibean said:

Living in Europe I'll say Ikea is less than inspiring and a perfect addition to Antioch.. The demographic that shops Ikea in Europe matches the demographic that enjoyed the World Mall..

Wow

• Like 4

Based on who I see in the store in Charlotte,  here who seems to be shopping at IKEA: many 20 somethings looking for furniture for their first apartment, college students looking for dorm items (our store is very crowded in late July early August with this group) families looking at inexpensive childrens furniture, many foreign born local residents( on a busy day you will hear many languages spoken), and overall people looking for inexpensive furniture.  I can personally vouch for this I am bought lots of their furniture when I had my first apartment after college, now I probably would not buy any furniture there. However their marketplace section which is kitchen, bedding, lighting, home office, home organization I shop in this section a good bit and so do lots of other people. I own a place at the beach and much of my kitchen supplies are from IKEA,  I know several people who remodeled their homes with IKEA kitchen cabinets and so forth for sleeker contemporary look. As IKEA is worldwide people have heard of their stores and I have noticed much changes in their stores since I went to my first IKEA back in 1986 they are more tailored to Americans now. 

Dont worry you will have people driving from Kentucky, Alabama and all over Tennessee to this new store not to mention the urban apartment dweller who needs to maximize space in their high dollar 700 sq ft apartment! 

• Like 1

IKEA is simply a huge big box furniture store. The merchandise sold there is on the cheap side in terms of both price and quality. They have stores all over the US and the world. Nothing earth shattering about IKEA and certainly not a bragging point in any way. 

• Like 2

On 5/27/2017 at 2:36 PM, bellinibean said:

Living in Europe I'll say Ikea is less than inspiring and a perfect addition to Antioch.. The demographic that shops Ikea in Europe matches the demographic that enjoyed the World Mall..

I actually don't think you have a grip on IKEA's Nashville target market at all. It's not the "less than inspiring" market of Antioch as you asserted. It's every cash strapped 20s and 30s-something resident trying to get on their feet. Housing, student loans and food alone are enough to wipe out a 40K starter salary. Have some perspective.

Edited by claya91
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, claya91 said:

I actually don't you have a grip on IKEA's Nashville target market at all. It's not the "less than inspiring" market of Antioch as you asserted. It's every cash strapped 20s and 30s-something resident trying to get on their feet. Housing, student loans and food alone are enough to wipe out a 40K starter salary. Have some perspective.

Exactly.  Just because IKEA landed in Antioch doesn't mean it's targeting Antioch residents.  IKEA will bring in shoppers from 100+ miles away, and I can guarantee you they won't all be struggling financially.  I know lots of fairly well-heeled people who love shopping there.  My brother is an aeronautical engineer who pulls in well over 6 figures, and his house is full of IKEA furniture.  Not all IKEA furniture is el-cheapo, either.  Much of it is very high quality and built to last, like my IKEA chest of drawers that's over 20 years old and still looks great.  The amount of sales tax revenue that IKEA will bring to the Davidson County coffers will be astounding.

By the way, early news reports were saying that IKEA is not going to get any financial assistance from the city.  Has anyone else heard that?  I know IKEA got the city of Memphis to give it something like a $9.5 million tax break to lure them to town.  I'm curious if IKEA is eventually going to try to fleece Nashville, too.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

I know IKEA got the city of Memphis to give it something like a $9.5 million tax break to lure them to town

We have to do stuff like that or we wouldn't get anything nice. Quite frankly, that's how it should be because we kind of just poop all over everything in this ghetto city, so we deserve it. 

On 5/27/2017 at 2:45 PM, bellinibean said:

In Europe IKEA is low end

I don't think anybody in America is expecting a Neiman Marcus experience when they go to shop at IKEA. But the same can be said for people who buy groceries at Trader Joe's, or people who shop online at Amazon. All those companies provide decent merchandise, decent prices and a pleasant overall experience, and that has a lot of appeal across pretty much every demographic.

And as for what's chic and what isn't: I've known people overseas who get quite excited when Wal-Mart, McDonald's or KFC builds in their area. So undue excitement over "low end" brands obviously isn't unique to Americans.

Edited by Jamie Hall
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

We have to do stuff like that or we wouldn't get anything nice. Quite frankly, that's how it should be because we kind of just poop all over everything in this ghetto city, so we deserve it. 

That's very true, sadly.  IKEA was the first and, if I'm not mistaken, is still the only retailer to get such a tax break in Memphis ("EDGE" deal I think is what it was called).  Kind of like the guy who brags about dating the prom queen but it turns out he had to pay her to go out with him.