IKEA to Nashville

smeagolsfree

Would be interesting to see them go urban like Atlantic Station, but I really see their demo as the Antioch, South Davidson population. Plus they would draw from north Alabama. I drove by the store in Memphis and was disappointed by the whole big box with sea of parking look.

Regarding the diverging diamond interchange, I was stuck at the crescent dr. & jimmy carter blvd.  intersection for 25 minutes last tuesday. Granted it was raining and evening rush hour, but no accidents there. Anyone have any idea why the feeder/access roads bottleneck so badly like that? Seems they work better without frontage roads.

15 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Sorry guys, the selfish Memphian in me isn't upset at the possibility of IKEA withdrawing its Nashville plans. Let Memphis have this one. Drive the three hours, enjoy the city, buy some furniture, eat a lot of BBQ and come back. It's not a bad way to spend a day or weekend.

Interesting to see some of the responses to your post. The hostile, venomous tone is particularly noticeable. Reminiscent of what white flighters or even segregationists would say.

Edited by Ingram
  • Thanks 1

I lived in Memphis for 8 long years.  That's all I'm going to say since it's against the rules to bad-mouth another city on here.  When I need my IKEA fix, I will gladly drive to Atlanta instead of Memphis if IKEA decides not to build in Nashville.

Edited by jmtunafish

Yeah, no kidding...people will be people though.  I mean we fight within our own city, our own neighborhoods, and even our own families so no one is off limits.  Heck, we even fight within ourselves.

Anyways, Memphis will always have the first hip hop group to win an Academy award and perform at the show!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Also, for godssake, its IN TENNESSEE!  Why all the in-fighting? It is *SO* ridiculous.  Ugh... anyway, that's my two cents.  

I believe there are those who know the reason for the hyper visceral reaction to Memphis.

Okay now lets drop all of this and get back to our time. The 1960s.

Edited by Ingram

Jabs get thrown at Memphis around here all the time with seemingly little to no consequence, but a few people say positive things about it for once and a thread gets locked.  I can't claim to understand that.  Annnnnywho...

IKEA...

I am certain the Antioch folks would disagree here, but I am not so sure I wouldn't prefer IKEA changed their Nashville plans.  Would it be so bad if Nashville had to wait a couple more years if it meant it got IKEA's first urban concept store in the world (or one of the first?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Jabs get thrown at Memphis around here all the time with seemingly little to no consequence, but a few people say positive things about it for once and a thread gets locked.  I can't claim to understand that.  Annnnnywho...

IKEA...

I am certain the Antioch folks would disagree here, but I am not so sure I wouldn't prefer IKEA changed their Nashville plans.  Would it be so bad if Nashville had to wait a couple more years if it meant it got IKEA's first urban concept store in the world (or one of the first?)

I've been to small, urban IKEA stores in Hong Kong.  No thanks.  For me, part of the fun in going to IKEA is wandering the acres of showrooms to get ideas that you just can't get by looking at pictures.  Those stores in HK, at least the ones in the central part of HK (Causeway Bay and Kowloon Bay) are pretty much designed for those who already know what they want.  If IKEA opts to put a small IKEA in Nashville--particularly if it doesn't also have the restaurant and the Swedish food market--I'll most likely still go to IKEA in Atlanta from time to time just because it's so much more fun.  

By the way, those jabs between Nashville and Memphis go both ways.  When I first moved to Memphis in the 90s, there was no shortage of rude, anti-Nashville jeers and comments from my Memphis friends.  The jokes were still there when I moved back to Memphis in the 2000s, and my Memphis students at UTK had no shortage of snide comments about the rest of Tennessee.  It doesn't make Memphis bashing right, but let's not pretend it's been unprovoked.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

I've been to small, urban IKEA stores in Hong Kong.  No thanks.  For me, part of the fun in going to IKEA is wandering the acres of showrooms to get ideas that you just can't get by looking at pictures.  Those stores in HK, at least the ones in the central part of HK (Causeway Bay and Kowloon Bay) are pretty much designed for those who already know what they want.  If IKEA opts to put a small IKEA in Nashville--particularly if it doesn't also have the restaurant and the Swedish food market--I'll most likely still go to IKEA in Atlanta from time to time just because it's so much more fun.  

By the way, those jabs between Nashville and Memphis go both ways.  When I first moved to Memphis in the 90s, there was no shortage of rude, anti-Nashville jeers and comments from my Memphis friends.  The jokes were still there when I moved back to Memphis in the 2000s, and my Memphis students at UTK had no shortage of snide comments about the rest of Tennessee.  It doesn't make Memphis bashing right, but let's not pretend it's been unprovoked.

I spent a long weekend in Memphis a couple of years ago and many of the people I met at bars were still upset that Nashville got the football and hockey teams. 

Half the reason I’m excited about ikea is the food area, so as long as that’s there I don’t really mind what format the store will be. I think they would be more successful with the bigger store here, though. 

• Like 2

I hope it’s a regular ikea here but I’ll still go to Atlanta or Cincinnati to get my ikea fix.  I almost always make those trips a weekend trip. I like to hit several of the Pike nursery’s while in Atlanta . It’s also nice to go to Create and Barrel but ikea is always the main stop. 

• Like 1