IKEA to Nashville

smeagolsfree

On 1/8/2022 at 2:44 AM, MagicPotato said:

Especially Norfolk, like Norfolk seriously? 

Its a well deserved thing for us. 

On 1/8/2022 at 2:44 AM, MagicPotato said:

Especially Norfolk, like Norfolk seriously? 

Well, with a metro of almost 2 million people its quite needed here. Though I do agree that its really weird that they have yet to place one in your city.

• Like 4

On 1/8/2022 at 9:16 PM, MagicPotato said:

That's probably the reason why they're so reluctant to build one in Nashville. There's already 3-4 Ikeas in about a 3-4 hour drive from Memphis, Indy, and Atlanta.  However, Atlanta does have two Ikeas in the same metro, but Nashville can't even get one.  It makes no sense. 

But yet we got one here in Hampton Roads. We literally have three stores in the NORVA/D.C./Baltimore metro. I will say the one in Norfolk does seem to do well and it is nice not having to drive 2.5 hours up to Woodbridge, VA. 

• Like 2

IKEA certainly has quirky decision makers.  I don't know what factors they consider when opening retail stores, but there doesn't seem to be any real consistency in those factors.  Nashville and the Raleigh/Durham area should have IKEA stores.  And, yes based on their locations in both Canada and European markets, Chattanooga and Knoxville should have them too.  For those who do not understand the Norfolk decision, keep in mind that Norfolk is the central point in the southeast region of Virginia which is heavily populated, has several universities and several military bases.  So, I get why they would build there.  But it further boggles the mind as to why they decided not to build a retail store in Nashville.   I live in the DMV (DC, MD, VA).  There are three IKEA stores in the DMV, though most don't consider the one in White Marsh (just north of B'more) as part of the area, it is only a little over an hours drive away from DC.  People who live between DC and B'more tend to shop at the College Park, MD location, but the White Marsh location becomes an option if the College Park location doesn't have an item in stock.

On 1/8/2022 at 9:51 PM, jmtunafish said:

Atlanta has just one IKEA.  But several large metro areas do have at least two:  Miami, DFW, Philly, DC, LA, Chicago, NYC.  IKEA is even more popular in Canada where smaller cities like Québec City (a city the size of Knoxville) and Winnipeg have IKEA, and Toronto has 6 of them.  It baffles the mind why IKEA stopped expanding in the US.

And the posters who said that IKEA's home delivery service sucks are so right.  I once ordered a chest of drawers for delivery when I lived in Knoxville.  That's it.  Just a chest of drawers.  They delivered it in a gigantic Mayflower type moving truck.  And my chest of drawers was the only thing in the truck.  I just drive to Atlanta now whenever I need my IKEA fix as I do not trust their home delivery.  Their cafeteria is really, really good, by the way.  When I lived in Atlanta I'd go there quite often just for lunch, and eating at their restaurant does help ease the pain of driving 3.5 hours to Atlanta just for furniture.

Please tell me that at least the chest of drawers was already assembled... I had to ask because most of what IKEA sells  is unassembled unless you pay to have it assembled.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

IKEA certainly has quirky decision makers.  I don't know what factors they consider when opening retail stores, but there doesn't seem to be any real consistency in those factors.  Nashville and the Raleigh/Durham area should have IKEA stores.  And, yes based on their locations in both Canada and European markets, Chattanooga and Knoxville should have them too.  For those who do not understand the Norfolk decision, keep in mind that Norfolk is the central point in the southeast region of Virginia which is heavily populated, has several universities and several military bases.  So, I get why they would build there.  But it further boggles the mind as to why they decided not to build a retail store in Nashville.   I live in the DMV (DC, MD, VA).  There are three IKEA stores in the DMV, though most don't consider the one in White Marsh (just north of B'more) as part of the area, it is only a little over an hours drive away from DC.  People who live between DC and B'more tend to shop at the College Park, MD location, but the White Marsh location becomes an option if the College Park location doesn't have an item in stock.

Please tell me that at least the chest of drawers was already assembled... I had to ask because most of what IKEA sells  is unassembled unless you pay to have it assembled.

True but the same can be said about Raleigh/Durham--the largest military installation in the world is just an hour south in Fayetteville (Fort Bragg), that area goes to Raleigh for shopping and entertainment. Plus the Wilmington area is a straight shot to Raleigh. So an IKEA in Raleigh (probably in Cary) would tap into 3 metro centers in NC and partially the Greensboro metro as the drive might be faster than towards Charlotte's IKA.  R/D CSA: 2.1 million with a massive growth rate neck-to-neck with Nashville, 850,000 from the Fayetteville CSA, and 300,000 from the Wilmington MSA and portions of the Greensboro's CSA of 1.7 million.

It's a no-brainer and yet Norfolk Ikea went through and they cancelled the Cary (Raleigh) store. Insane. 

• Like 1

I  think we've been dancing around the apparent fact that the executives at IKEA don't look at demographic characteristics beyond (maybe current popluation) when they're looking at expansion in the USA.  I had forgotten about the tax incentives that Memphis gave them, and I can understand the lure of money up front, but that doesn't appear to have worked out well for them in Memphis. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I  think we've been dancing around the apparent fact that the executives at IKEA don't look at demographic characteristics beyond (maybe current popluation) when they're looking at expansion in the USA.  I had forgotten about the tax incentives that Memphis gave them, and I can understand the lure of money up front, but that doesn't appear to have worked out well for them in Memphis. 

And there’s really no major cities outside of Memphis. Maybe Little Rock, and Jackson? Then there’s already an IKEA in St.Louis.

Meanwhile, cities near Nashville that may benefit from an Ikea includes Clarksville, Bowling Green/most of southern Kentucky, Huntsville/most of North Alabama, and Knoxville/most of East TN. Jackson and Chattanooga would have been a split between Atlanta and Memphis. 

Edited by MagicPotato
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, FrankNash said:

So it looks like IKEA is going to open 8 more stores in the US.  What do y'all think our odds are with the Memphis store so close by.  Maybe a small urban store?

So many people order almost everything for delivery these days, is there the same kind of clamor for IKEA’s new locations as there was pre-Covid?

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 10:51 AM, Licec said:

Well when I need to get my IKEA fix I drive 3 hours to Memphis. I prefer to have a shorter trip and I find the service at that store is far superior. I've had many exquisite luncheons there. I often wear my sweater tied behind my back when I have the delectable Soup, Salad, and Sandwich lunch.

I didn't know that Memphis had a store. Great to hear. You're right about the shorter trip. 

22 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

While IKEA may not be perfect. I think they are a hell of a lot better than many of the furniture stores we have around here. Ashley Furniture, American Signature, Royal (these guys may be out of business) are soooo hit or miss. IKEA brings more quality on a budget than any of the other stores. While I don't need furniture at this point, I think it would be great to land a store within Davidson County. 

I totally agree.  I hope they're able to find a place in Davidson County.  What about where they were originally going to go, off I-24 near Hickory Hollow?  I wonder if that's still an option.  That sure seems like the  ideal spot.

I don't  understand people who think IKEA furniture is nothing more than fancy Walmart stuff.  I have several pieces of IKEA furniture that I've accumulated over the years, and each one is still holding up just fine.  Not all their furniture is pressed particle board.  I'm probably going to make a run to the IKEA in Atlanta next month for a few things.  And when I retire, I fully expect to live in a small studio apartment and equip it with IKEA furnishings which are efficient and attractive.  Like what this woman did in NYC:

• Like 3

My main living room sofa is from IKEA and I love it. Also, I have a friend in Boston whos condo flooded and needed a brand new kitchen. All of it is from IKEA. My late cousin was a talented cabinet builder and he ended up going to work for IKEA in Florida doing cabinet build outs. The Swedes know how to do furniture (and apparently meatballs, not that I've ever had them lol).

• Like 1

"Ikea stores coming soon to 8 new US locations" ... 

Ikea announced yesterday expansion for the comping years in the US.  

Don't know if you remember back in 2017, Ikea announced they were building a store in Nashville at the Century Farms development (Hickory Hollow exit).   The store was to open in 2020 Ibelieve.  

In 2018 they pulled the plug along with 2 other locations saying they were no longer building big box stores.    Ikea does have a pick up spot off of Murfreesboro Road now.  

What are the odds of Ikea coming to Nashville now?

They did say their focus now is on the East and West Coast ... and also the South.  

Edited by Boybugle63
Font
  • Like 1

I think Ikea would be ideal for Nashville.  While the growing younger population would benefit from it, don't be fooled, there are a lot of older people buying from Ikea as well.  Certainly the young single and young family demographic makes up a huge portion of their target market, but older folks and downsizing seniors love it just as much. 

One thing that I noticed the last time when I was in Nashville were a bunch of cheap discount furniture stores.  If they are like any of the similar stores here in Maryland, I can assure you, Ikea is better.  Especially better than those furniture stores that have been going out of business since the day they opened... LOL!!!

I have a few items from Ikea that I purchased well over 10 years ago.  All of those items are holding up very well.  I honestly didn't buy any  of them thinking I'd have them this long.  As for the assembly issue some people like to bring up, let me say this... 1) I didn't have any issues assembling any of the pieces I have from Ikea.  2) I have ordered from Wayfair and have had to return several items because they were missing pieces or damaged.  I didn't have that issue with Ikea.  3) I ordered a sleeper sofa from Wayfair that required extensive assembly, so I don't see ordering furniture from Ikea as being any different.

The other positive aspect of Ikea is that they have pretty good home furnishings outside of furniture.  You can pretty much outfit an entire apartment or home simply shopping at Ikea if you so desire.  Keep in mind they have dishes, cookware, utensils, lamps, artwork, rugs, linen, blinds, curtains, fake and real plants.  Not to mention seasonal items like Christmas trees and décor, outdoor furniture and décor.   Ikea in essence is a stop and shop home décor and  design center.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, FrankNash said:

So it looks like IKEA is going to open 8 more stores in the US.  What do y'all think our odds are with the Memphis store so close by.  Maybe a small urban store?

Instead of IKEA, I'd rather we get a Bergdorf's and  Hermes.  I think we all would be much happier. 

Edited by FromParkAveToTN
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1