IKEA to Nashville

smeagolsfree

The Nashville IKEA will be 341,000 square feet.  Here's how it stacks up to other IKEA stores:

Saint Louis - 380,000
Atlanta - 366,000
Kansas City - 359,000
Charlotte - 356,000
Columbus - 354,000
Tampa - 353,000
Cincinnati - 344,000
Nashville - 341,000
Dallas-Frisco - 310,000
Orlando - 310,000
Salt Lake City - 310,000
Houston - 300,000
Indianapolis - 296,000
Dallas-Grand Prairie - 290,000
Jacksonville - 290,000
San Antonio - 290,000
Memphis - 271,000
Austin - 252,000

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I have nothing to support my thoughts here, but I wouldn't think it would have much of an impact, only because for most people, it seems that going on a trip to IKEA is more akin to going on a trip to Six Flags than it is to going on a trip to, say, Home Depot.  In other words, I think most people that are going to IKEA are strictly GOING TO IKEA, and not really out on an all day shopping hop.  I've seen IKEA's set up shop in industrial areas and be perfectly fine.  They're kind of self-reliant in that way, I guess.

I think that's true for people in and around Nashville.  However, for people coming from Bowling Green, Knoxville, Paducah, Clarksville, Cookeville, etc., they will very likely end up going out to eat or stopping at some other stores.  My wife and I made a trip into Atlanta (we were in north Georgia for another reason) to go to Ikea and after we finished up we spent some time in Atlantic Station eating and browsing through some of the other stores. I seriously doubt, however, that there will be anything near our Antioch that is quite the same as Atlantic Station. I'm sure it will spur a nice, suburban strip mall or two.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I have nothing to support my thoughts here, but I wouldn't think it would have much of an impact, only because for most people, it seems that going on a trip to IKEA is more akin to going on a trip to Six Flags than it is to going on a trip to, say, Home Depot.  In other words, I think most people that are going to IKEA are strictly GOING TO IKEA, and not really out on an all day shopping hop.  I've seen IKEA's set up shop in industrial areas and be perfectly fine.  They're kind of self-reliant in that way, I guess.

I agree, and to a limited extent I would compare it to the former Expo Design Center, Home Depot's once high-end chain,  which seemed to signal its downfall early on before finally succumbing to the 2007-2008 economic downturn.  Of course, IKEA has an entirely different business model, not directly affected by market saturation and speculative factors of the former high-display overhead of EDC, but I would suppose that people would seek IKEA for similar purposes of engendering ideas, which ultimately could or would lead to outright purchases.

I also would deem the surging new-housing base has ripened as a driving force, in the decision to commence construction of an IKEA in the region.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

That's how my family is.  When we go to IKEA we make sure to eat at IKEA.  IKEA's food is wonderful, absolutely delicious and very inexpensive.  It's cheaper than fast food and soooo much better (real butter, real cream, etc.).  The Swedish meatballs meal (10 meatballs, mashed potatoes, vegetables, sauce) is $4.99.  Pasta and meatballs is $3.  Chicken breasts stuffed with artichoke and parmesan with mashed potatoes and vegetables for $4.  Or go early for breakfast:  scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, Swedish pancakes, and jam for $2.  Children's meals are only $2.49 (free on Tuesdays).  Even a smoked salmon plate is only $6.99.  The restaurant is located right smack in the middle of the store which makes it a very convenient place to take a breather.  Then just outside the cash registers is a snack bar with things like hot dogs, soft serve frozen yogurt, fresh baked cinnamon rolls, soft drinks, again for ridiculously cheap prices (2 hot dogs and a drink for $2).  And a Swedish food market where you can stock up on Scandinavian cookies, cheeses, chocolates, jams, pastries, big bags of frozen meatballs, salmon, etc.

In other words, while I'm sure some people will leave IKEA and head to a nearby restaurant, a whole bunch of IKEA devotés (like me) gladly eat at IKEA.  When I lived in NoVa I would sometimes even go to IKEA precisely just to eat.

Hahaha, i'm the same way!  I don't go to IKEA often, as they're all way out in the burbs, but when I do, more often than not I'll leave the store empty handed in terms of furniture, but damn if I didn't make sure to fill my belly with meatballs, mash, gravy, lingonberry sauce... oh man am I hungry now... I'll usually make sure to buy a bag or six of frozen meatballs out of the freezers by the registers too.  I have issues... :tw_expressionless:

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Hahaha, i'm the same way!  I don't go to IKEA often, as they're all way out in the burbs, but when I do, more often than not I'll leave the store empty handed in terms of furniture, but damn if I didn't make sure to fill my belly with meatballs, mash, gravy, lingonberry sauce... oh man am I hungry now... I'll usually make sure to buy a bag or six of frozen meatballs out of the freezers by the registers too.  I have issues... :tw_expressionless:

I think they secretly put opium in their lingonberry sauce because it is soooo addicting!  Every time I go, I tell myself I'm going to get something besides Swedish meatballs because everything does look so good.  But in the end I usually settle for the tried and true, and I waddle out of there a very happy boy.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

So much parking. Its a shame to see all that land taken up. I suppose the financial numbers won't work out if they invested in structured parking.

It really is a shame.  I mean, I'm glad IKEA is coming, and I know that isn't exactly an urban part of town, but that parking takes up enough space to build another two IKEA stores.  If you compare the whole complex to downtown, it's basically the size of a square area with the perimeters of Broadway, 1st Ave, 5th Ave, and Peabody.   It's so ridiculously and needlessly wasteful.  Funny how there seems to be a connection between multi-national corporations not being able to "afford" parking structures only when they're building in cities that don't make them build parking structures.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

To answer your question about other retail around IKEA I would say get ready for a flood. When IKEA built in Charlotte at Belgate shopping center there was nothing around it and I mean nothing but roads. Now check out the shopping center. http://www.ddr.com/properties/A21109   I know in San Antonio where they are getting a new store they are building as much retail or more around it as the store itself. 

• Like 1

So this is on the West side of I24? If so that rendering is confusing me. It doesn't seem to line up with the roads if it is indeed behind Conn's HomePlus. Hickory Hollow Pkwy doesn't go over the interstate like that, unless they have redesigned it lately?

17 hours ago, bigeasy said:

So this is on the West side of I24? If so that rendering is confusing me. It doesn't seem to line up with the roads if it is indeed behind Conn's HomePlus. Hickory Hollow Pkwy doesn't go over the interstate like that, unless they have redesigned it lately?

http://wkrn.com/2017/05/25/interstate-exit-to-undergo-big-changes-for-new-developments-in-antioch/

• Like 3