IKEA to Nashville

smeagolsfree

Well, let's compare that parking to that of two stores in a similarly sized city (i.e. Brussels). Both are in areas that approach American suburb-like densities. The first is in the southwest and has a huge parking garage, as I recall. The second is up near the airport, way on the other side of town.b4abefe14490ee5bf66e74d614d18367.jpg5023eede5b5a822a0e517dbab4a49360.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Rebuilding of the I-24 & Hickory Hollow Parkway interchange is still on track to begin late Spring/Summer with target completion late 2019

EDIT: it will be a diverging diamond interchange (only the 2nd in Tennessee), so it should allow for a large volume to flow through

Nothing confirmed for site prep, but expecting late 2018

Edited by LA_TN
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Tennessee seems to have two DDIs to date ─ one near Alcoa-Maryville and another near Sevierville.

Unfortunately the Web site (https://divergingdiamond.com/) is poorly navigable by mouse drag, if one is using a PC ─ at least on one of my devices.  I had to use the arrow- and the +/- keys to pan and zoom. (smartphone browser might have better navigability, but I have not tried).   An additional one at Hickory Hollow Pkwy should really become a "proving ground" for that design.

https://divergingdiamond.com/item/i-40-sr-66/
https://divergingdiamond.com/item/us-129-middlesettlements-road/

image.png.10676355d3cb5594fd5d32df05660283.png

At least two existing (older) single-point urban interchange (SPUI) sites can be found mid-state.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rookzie said:

Tennessee seems to have two DDIs to date ─ one near Alcoa-Maryville and another near Sevierville.

image.png.10676355d3cb5594fd5d32df05660283.png

At least two existing (older) single-point urban interchange (SPUI) sites can be found mid-state.

I was reporting what I was told/read!! I have driven all over Maryville, but did not realize that diverging diamond was below the bridge! Thanks!

Some single point interchanges near us:
1) Briley Pkwy & McGavick Pk
2) Briley Pkwy & Murfreesboro Pk
3) I-65 & McEwen Dr

Edited by LA_TN
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Folks what's the advantage to Diverging Diamond vs. Double Diamond (or so I was told they're called) like the McEwen Drive & I-65 interchange? 

And thanks Rookzie for that link/explanation. I've driven through those but didn't know what they're called. 

They're significantly safer and provide better traffic flow than standard dual-four-way diamond intersections. Many of the benefits of a full cloverleaf exchange with less cost in terms of real estate usage.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, LA_TN said:

I was reporting what I was told/read!! I have driven all over Maryville, but did not realize that diverging diamond was below the bridge! Thanks!

Some single point interchanges near us:
1) Briley Pkwy & McGavick Pk
2) Briley Pkwy & Murfreesboro Pk
3) I-65 & McEwen Dr

Off the top of my head...two more spui's..(single point urban interchange)....

840 where the Nashville Speedway was..

And the newly opened State Route 41 with Old Stone Fort Pkwy in Murfreesboro. 

There are a few in Memphis and Huntsville, Alabama had some of the first spui's in the nation.

Their efficiency is derived from the fact that they only require three traffic signal phases, meaning the traffic movements can overlap. The Murfreesboro spui was almost ruined when some well meaning, but obviously traffic engineering challenged individuals insisted on keeping a small road open and requiring a fourth phase. I made my argument against it and would like to think they listened and corrected the mistake and consequently saved the project. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

There are a few in Memphis and Huntsville, Alabama had some of the first spui's in the nation.

Nearly all of the interchanges on State Route 385 (Bill Morris Parkway) in Shelby County are SPUIs, even the "rural" ones.

10 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

They're significantly safer and provide better traffic flow than standard dual-four-way diamond intersections. Many of the benefits of a full cloverleaf exchange with less cost in terms of real estate usage.

Specifically DDIs allow free-flow left-turning traffic, so their strength is in locations where left-turn movements are heavy.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

IKEA just cancelled their 2nd store in NC in Cary a huge suburb of Raleigh saying they were going in another direction.  Less on suburban stores and more on smaller urban stores.  I wonder if this will affect the new Nashville store or is this just a one off decision?  http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article211750844.html

• Like 1

An Ikea spokesperson sent the following statement in response to questions about the Nashville store:

We are in a rapidly changing retail environment. To be fit for long-term growth, we are creating a new business model to make sure we’re accessible and convenient for our customers today and in the future. … [We] are looking to expand to more urban city centers to be more accessible to more consumers. As a result, some of our expansion plans may change, but at the same time we are also investing in our e-commerce and services to ensure customers can access Ikea no matter where they are. … While this is an extremely difficult decision, we will not be moving forward with our plans to build a store in Cary, N.C. In terms of other projects such as Nashville, each of the other stores are unique, and we are at different points in their development. Ikea has not announced any changes to its plans in Nashville.

The developer of the store's planned home, Mark McDonald, said things are moving forward with respect to the Antioch project. Bids are due next month for road projects related to the store, including the addition of a new Hickory Hollow Parkway interchange off Interstate 24. Construction of the store itself isn't expected to begin until 2019, setting up the previously announced 2020 opening.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/05/25/ikeas-strategy-shift-raises-questions-nashville.html

Furniture Today a trade publication is saying IKEA will scrap a Glendale AZ store a  suburb of  Phoenix in addition to the Cary-Raleigh NC  store.   Nashville is still being evaluated according to this. Charlotte is about 2.5 hours from the Cary site and the Nashville store is about that distance to Memphis correct?   http://www.furnituretoday.com/article/554144-ikea-drops-glendale-az-store-plans-too/

• Like 2

Sorry guys, the selfish Memphian in me isn't upset at the possibility of IKEA withdrawing its Nashville plans. Let Memphis have this one. Drive the three hours, enjoy the city, buy some furniture, eat a lot of BBQ and come back. It's not a bad way to spend a day or weekend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Sorry guys, the selfish Memphian in me isn't upset at the possibility of IKEA withdrawing its Nashville plans. Let Memphis have this one. Drive the three hours, enjoy the city, buy some furniture, eat a lot of BBQ and come back. It's not a bad way to spend a day or weekend.

Ikea is spending a day.  2.5-3 hour drive there,  2-3 hours inside, 2.5-3 hours back.   the times that I have been I saw nothing but IKEA and the exit ramp.   

4 hours ago, VSRJ said:

What?? Technically the UP rules say we can't bad-mouth another city. So I'll just say I have seen the Memphis airport, not by choice, and that's about all I need to see of that city. Is that okay to say? If I need anything from IKEA, I will buy online or go to Atlanta.