Charlotte area population statistics

On 4/19/2018 at 2:32 PM, tarhoosier said:

Catawba county gains more than loses, if I am seeing this correctly.

A bit more than halfway down his website is the original for magnification:

https://metricmaps.org/

us-daytime-population-loss-and-gain.png

How is the Charlotte surrounding area loosing population? It’s one of the fastest growing areas. Like Union Co. for example.

Edited by Cadi40

39 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

How is the Charlotte surrounding area loosing population? It’s one of the fastest growing areas. Like Union Co. for example.

This is a commuting map showing where daytime population  swells like in Meck vs other commuter counties.  Look at Atlanta how Fulton county swells with commuters.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2018 at 2:51 PM, KJHburg said:

^^ I would say both. S Central Va if you look really closely there is people commuting into Lynchburg which is an independent city as they have in VA.  Some do commute south to the Triad as Greensboro and Winston both have some very good paying manufacturing and office jobs.  

Hickory is a local employment hub for the counties surrounding like Alexander, Caldwell, even Lincoln and Burke.  

Especially Burke as small parts of Hickory actually straddle the county line between Burke and Catawba. The airport and Crawdad's stadium are both in Burke County.

On 3/23/2018 at 10:45 AM, JBS said:

Almost hard to believe.  Does that mean that we are getting close to being able to support MLB here?

No, it means we could have supported it long ago but for some reason, many can't understand it.

• Like 3

In-migration into North Carolina from other states continues and is the 4th highest domestic migrated to state.  The top 5 states with the most outmigration  NY IL Calfornia NJ and CT all high tax and high cost of living states.  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/05/17/n-c-among-top-states-for-attracting-new-residents.html

• Like 3

First column is city, second is SMA (Not CSA) third is city proper population. San Antonio is huge by city borders and even annexes into neighboring counties (Whoa, Texas). Raleigh is the opposite, for reasons unknown to me. Indianapolis and Jacksonville are city-county combined governments thus single entity for each. Most recent figures from today and 2016.

San Diego                3,337,000            1,420,000                
San Antonio                2,195,000            1,512,000            
San Jose                1,837,000            1,035,000            
Raleigh                2,037,000            430,000        
Charlotte                2,475,000            859,000        
Indianapolis                1,971,000            865,000        
Columbus                2,106,000            879,000        
Jacksonville                1,345,000            892,000        

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

915,000 is the big watermark to hit.  Will put Charlotte over 3000/sq mile.  Gets Charlotte into the ballpark of Phoenix and Austin density wise.  Obviously they will continue to densify as well.

For all the hype Nashville gets, its density is an impressive 1390/sq mile.  Indianapolis 2300.  Fort Worth 2500.  

• Like 3

N.C. and S.C. Cities of 50,000+ Ranked by July 1, 2017, U.S. Census Bureau Estimated Population

North Carolina Cities 50,000+

(1) Charlotte                             859,035

(2) Raleigh                                  464,758

(3) Greensboro                       290,222

(4) Durham                                267,743

(5) Winston-Salem                244,605

(6) Fayetteville                        209,889

(7) Cary                                        165,904

(8) Wilmington                        119,045

(9) High Point                           111,513

(10) Greenville                            92,156 

(11) Concord                                92,067

(12) Asheville                               91,902

(13) Gastonia                               76,593

(14) Jacksonville                        72,447

(15) Chapel Hill                          59,862

(16) Huntersville                       56,212

(17) Rocky Mount                     54,523

(18) Burlington                           53,077

(19) Apex                                        50,451

South Carolina Cities 50,000+

(1) Charleston                           134,875

(2) Columbia                              133,114

(3) North Charleston            110,861

(4) Mount Pleasant                   86,668

(5) Rock Hill                                  73,068

(6) Greenville                               68,219

(7) Summerville                          50,388

Link;   https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=PEP_2017_PEPANNRSIP.US12A&prodType=table  --  U.S. Census Bureau American Fact Finder

• Like 3

So if I've copied these numbers correctly, that makes 7/1/2017 estimates:

859,035 - Charlotte

1,076,837 - Mecklenburg

2,525,305 - MSA

2,684,121 - CSA

Also:

2,537,990 - Primary Statistical Area from 7/1/2014

2,950,320 - Charlotte "region" --- as a marketing tool: http://charlotteusa.com/business-info/charlotte-usa-overview/

1,249,442 - Charlotte Urban Area from 2010

A few estimates for the city limits based off of a consistent annual rate (I know this isn't necessarily feasible once this area is fully built out and many other reasons, but it's fun to see):

2017 Population: 859,035

2020 Population: 907,351

2026 Population: 1,012,223 - Over 1 million mark

2030 Population: 1,088,805

2040 Population: 1,306,573

2050 Population: 1,567,898

2100 Population: 3,901,551

If we keep up the current growth rate, we would double in population roughly every 37-38 years. Who wants more high rises?

Edited by DH17
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

I think Charlottes growth rate is going to continue to increase into the foreseeable future according to research, But that looks to be a decently good ball park number. 

Is that research metro based or city limit based? Not disagreeing, I'm just curious if future growth will largely be inside or outside of the city limits as the remaining easily developed land is swallowed up.

17 minutes ago, DH17 said:

Is that research metro based or city limit based? Not disagreeing, I'm just curious if future growth will largely be inside or outside of the city limits as the remaining easily developed land is swallowed up.

It’s been a while since I’ve done reasearch, But recalling I think mainly both. Charlotte is loosing development opportunities from empty plots but it’s never out of the question to tear down some structures for a larger one. Charlotte’s Metro and Ring Cities are also very quickly growing. But if I do recall, By 2040 Charlotte will be the fastest growing large city. 

6 hours ago, ah59396 said:

I’d bet money no one at that time would have ever thought 60 years later, Detroit would have lost over 1,000,000 people and be sitting at 730,000. 

Those numbers are for city, not metro.  And like Detroit, Charlotte may soon face a similar struggle. I'd bet no one then ever thought development patterns would dramatically shift metropolitan growth outside city limits.

Given how difficult the NC Legislature has made annexation, Charlotte may be looking at America's largest generation increasingly moving outside its limits in coming decades.  All of the yuppies enjoying new apartments may consider housing farther from work, when they form families, especially if CMS can't offer better options outside the overpriced south wedge.

Outside the booming core of apartment projects, 2020 complete-count numbers may also detail how much of the city's growth is actually from larger family-size, working-class households living in Charlotte's middle-ring cresent, compared to the increasingly graying, empty-nester south wedge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, southslider said:

Those numbers are for city, not metro.  And like Detroit, Charlotte may soon face a similar struggle. I'd bet no one then ever thought development patterns would dramatically shift metropolitan growth outside city limits.

Given how difficult the NC Legislature has made annexation, Charlotte may be looking at America's largest generation increasingly moving outside its limits in coming decades.  All of the yuppies enjoying new apartments may consider housing farther from work, when they form families, especially if CMS can't offer better options outside the overpriced south wedge.

Outside the booming core of apartment projects, 2020 complete-count numbers may also detail how much of the city's growth is actually from larger family-size, working-class households living in Charlotte's middle-ring cresent, compared to the increasingly graying, empty-nester south wedge.

That’s correct.  Detroit metro is still huge.  I was referring only the city limits so thank you for clarifying that.  And I don’t want to crap on Detroit either, it’s having a nice little renaissance at the moment that I hope continues.  

It’s really an amazing and sad example of the effects of white flight and suburbanization.

Ill just be interested to see if the trend of urbanization and density continues, especially in sunbelt cities.  For now, cities like Charlotte and Atlanta and Houston continue to add density and maintain pretty low cost of living relative to northern  and west cost peers.  

There’s got to be a tipping point (I suspect) where cost of living will outweigh desire and you’ll see a greater shift to the burbs.  And, unlike many more established cities, the sunbelt cities have nothing but room to sprawl more.  Which again is why it’s so important for cities like Charlotte to promote smart urban planning.

I also think your dead on about Charlotte’s growth figures.  While the interior has been densifying as of late, I’d love to see how much we’ve really added inside the old “ring” which was effectively our 1960 city limits.  I’d bet it’s less than 100k in 60 years.

(I may be wrong.  If so, someone please correct the crap out of me!)

7650BAC3-8D77-4462-9187-711CC655C577.thumb.jpeg.1f0879c3a1db0959b7d06540205afa95.jpeg

Edit:  the CMS issue is also absolutely legit.  I’m 33 and I know plenty of people my age who recently had kids and jetted for the burbs.  Not even because they wanted to, but because CMS is so awful and they worried about their children going to a sketch school.  

Quite honestly, I would have likely done the same.  I lived in a nice house off Woodlawn, walking distance to the light rail.  But my son would have had to attend Harding.  Ranked worse than 89% of high schools in NC.  No thanks.

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 2

South Carolina's annexation laws have been in the books for over one hundred years. That's why the City Limit populations are not as large. There are about 400,000 people with a Columbia address. A majority of them are in unincorporated areas that are highly urban, but the state made annexation nearly impossible. There was never a such thing as involuntary annexation as NC had before they changed the laws.

Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville are the largest MSA's in the Carolina's after Charlotte, and Raleigh....So city limit population comparison isn't the best when comparing other states. Charlotte is not larger than Atlanta and Miami, etc....

Most Populated MSAs in NC/SC

#1 Charlotte

#2 Raleigh

#3 Greenville (SC)

#4 Columbia

#5 Charleston

#6 Greensboro

#7 Winston-Salem

Edited by sonofaque86

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Other cities would experience worse than CLT/Jacksonville/Nashville/etc due to our city limit size though 

Might be a serious concern for all sunbelt cities.  As the millennial generation hits the 30’s and 40’s and has kids, will we still all want to live in micro apartments in the city?  Or buy a super cheap home just outside the city.  It’ll be interesting to see!

4 hours ago, ah59396 said:

Might be a serious concern for all sunbelt cities.  As the millennial generation hits the 30’s and 40’s and has kids, will we still all want to live in micro apartments in the city?  Or buy a super cheap home just outside the city.  It’ll be interesting to see!

The key word here is all. It seems very unlikely that all of the millennial's will choose the burbs given that they currently have very different proclivities than their parents had at this age (neither boomers nor GenXers had as much fondness for cities in their youth). Certainly a large portion of them will move to the burbs, but will enough of them move to absorb the existing (and massive) supply of suburban housing that the boomers wanted so badly? If just 5-10% of millennial's stay away from the burbs then there will be a huge  glut of suburban houses as the boomers die off or downsize. It doesn't take much housing oversupply for prices to start to trend down -- if suburban houses start to look like a lousy investment to millennials (and they already do in many places) then the movement away from the burbs over the next 20 years will make the white flight of the 50s-80s look trivial. The "retail apocalypse" will only accelerate this trend.

IMO the gotta have suburban houses for kids thing is a bit overplayed. Family sizes are much smaller than they have been. Crime rates are now lower in most urban areas than suburban ones. Charter schools are becoming a viable alternative. Public schools are improving in some urban places (often because Millennial parents are making it happen). There is a growing recognition (although its certainly not pervasive) that surburban (meaning auto-oriented) environments are unhealthy for both parents and children. Plus rising environmental awareness. None of is intended to suggest that all millennials will stay in the city, but I think a non-trivial portion of them will.

The only thing preventing an explosion of urban development (again IMO) is NIMBY desires and existing zoning prevent density increases in intown areas (which keeps prices artificially high) plus developers and current suburban property owners expending their political capital in a vain attempt to protect their investments.

/not picking on ah59396, just ranting/

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2