Charlotte area population statistics

4 hours ago, jednc said:

I was playing around on a website today and found this interesting...

Screenshot_20180708-174836.png

Screenshot_20180708-174815.png

Still unbelievable that there is no direct interstate link east from Charlotte proper.  Looking at that red blob and it blows my mind that Charlotte CSA is 2 maybe 3 coubties away from Fayetteville and yet if you travel as the crow flies it is mostly 2 lane  county roads.  We were forced to go the southern way 401 to 74.  Maybe one day when the Farmers relinquish control of the GA someone will fix the mess of roads.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NcSc74 said:

Still unbelievable that there is no direct interstate link east from Charlotte proper.  Looking at that red blob and it blows my mind that Charlotte CSA is 2 maybe 3 coubties away from Fayetteville and yet if you travel as the crow flies it is mostly 2 lane  county roads.  We were forced to go the southern way 401 to 74.  Maybe one day when the Farmers relinquish control of the GA someone will fix the mess of roads.

It's funny you mentioned travel to Fayetteville. I had to travel just beyond Fayetteville back in April and it was awful from an efficiency sake. For the first couple of hours, I was glad to be traveling through the small towns and more rural areas of the state (especially those far from where I grew up). By the end of the trip (it was round trip in one day), everyone in the group was exhausted. I realized in the same time we drove round-trip, we could have been well into Florida or somewhere north of Baltimore. I completely agree Charlotte needs an Interstate (or expressway) heading east.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 1:26 AM, NcSc74 said:

I used to make the trip to Charlotte from Fayetteville regularly. It’s brutal. I’ve always said there should be an interstate from Charlotte to Wilmington via Fayetteville.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/17/2018 at 10:39 AM, DCMetroRaleigh said:

Word on the street is that the US Census has added Anson County back to Charlotte's MSA.  Madison County, VA is reportedly added to DC's Metro.  Anyone able to confirm this?

Correct on both! 

Anson County, NC, was added to the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia NC-SC MSA; and Madison County, VA, was added to the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria DC-VA-MD-WV MSA.

See Charlotte MSA Code #16740 at p. 46; and see Washington MSA Code #47900 at p. 70 of the link below.

The US Census Bureau pop. estimate for Anson County, NC, was 24,991 as of 07/01/2017.  The Census Bureau's pop. est. for Madison County, VA, was 13,277 as of 07/01/2017.

Adding Anson County, NC, to the Charlotte MSA, the estimated pop. of Charlotte's MSA as of 07/01/2017 was 2,550,296. 

Adding Madison County, VA, to the Washington MSA, the estimated pop. of Washington's MSA as of 07/01/2017 was 6,229,866.    

Rank order was not affected by the new delineations.  Charlotte remained the nation's 22nd largest MSA; while Washington remained the 6th largest MSA.

Links:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Bulletin-18-04.pdf - OMB Bulletin 18-04 dated 09/14/2018 Revised Delineations of Metropolitan Statistical Areas, Micropolitan Statistical Areas, Combined Statistical Areas, and Guidance on Uses of These Areas.

https://www.census.gov/data/datasets/2017/demo/popest/counties-total.html - US Census Bureau County Pop. Totals and Components of Change 2010-2017.

• Like 4

^^^Cool.  That puts our CSA-11 MSA counties plus Cleveland and Stanly- a shade under 2.71 million.  If population numbers continue to rise as they have for the past few years, I expect Charlotte's MSA will have ~2.6 million people living in it for the 7/01/2018 numbers and the CSA will be approaching 2.8 million residents.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

But they commute from Anson into Union which is a big part of the Charlotte metro and I see this increases greatly once Monroe bypass is opened.

I've always wondered about that. Do they count counties that commute mainly into other counties that are part of a metro? Like if a lot of Anson people commute to Union but not meck? I can't imagine that anyone commutes all the way into CLT from Anson.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I've always wondered about that. Do they count counties that commute mainly into other counties that are part of a metro? Like if a lot of Anson people commute to Union but not meck? I can't imagine that anyone commutes all the way into CLT from Anson.

According to the federal Office of Management and Budget (OMB), the minimum commuting threshold for an outlying county (like Anson County) to qualify for inclusion within an MSA is 25%

If more than 25% of workers in a locality commute to a nearby metropolitan area, that county is considered to be closely linked to it.  

Links:    

https://cber.cba.ua.edu/rbriefs/news010501.html - OMB's standards for defining Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas

http://statchatva.org/2014/03/19/a-closer-look-at-msas-and-commuting/ - A closer look at MSA' and Commuting, University of Virginia Demographics Research Group

Edited by QCxpat
Add link
  • Like 2

Driving from Polkton to Mint Hill is 40-some minutes by NC 218. Some of Anson is accessible from/to Mecklenburg. I worked with a teacher at Independence HS who commuted from Anson County. 

The drive to Wingate or Monroe is less, and the economic environment in Anson would seem to encourage out of county employment.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, NcSc74 said:

Question, do the Triad and CLT metros touch?  If so what county? I've been gone from NC a while and my geography is failing me.

Davidson and Rowan? They touch, just not sure if Davidson is in the Triad MSA. I know they consider themselves part of the Triad.

53 minutes ago, NcSc74 said:

Question, do the Triad and CLT metros touch?  If so what county? I've been gone from NC a while and my geography is failing me.

Yep. They directly do. Iridell, rowan, and Stanley counties touch yadkin, Davie, Davidson, and Montgomery counties.

• Like 1

Davidson county is apart of the Winston Salem metro area (they broke up the Greensboro Winston metro area into 2 parts though it seems as one to me) Montgomery county to the east of Stanly is not apart of any metro area.  Northern Davidson county has plenty of commuters into Winston.    And yes Iredell does touch Davie county again a part of the Winston metro area.    In terms of tv and media  markets everything north of the Yadkin river along I-85 to the VA line is part of the Greensboro or Winston metro areas. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

They split the CSA into four areas. Mt airy, Winston, greensboro, burlington. I personally still see them as one MSA since they're so interconnected. Tons of Davidson county people commute into Guildford and Randolph too but more to Winston.

Montgomery is sometimes included in gboro since so many commute up i73/74 to Asheboro for mill/factory jobs. I personally also consider it to be a part of the MSA. Everyone from Montgomery goes to Asheboro for everything. Shopping, entertainment, and work.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Cities with Most Population Growth, 2010 - 2017, out of the 100 Largest U.S. Cities

Rank                                      2017 Pop.           2010 Pop.           % Change 2010-17

(6)   Charlotte                  859,035               731,424                     17.4

(9)   Durham                     267,743               228,330                     17.3

(14) Raleigh                      464,758                403,892                    15.1

Source:  Pop. Estimates Program and Decennial Census, U.S. Census Bureau

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, QCxpat said:

Cities with Most Population Growth, 2010 - 2017, out of the 100 Largest U.S. Cities

Rank                                      2017 Pop.           2010 Pop.           % Change 2010-17

(6)   Charlotte                  859,035               731,424                     17.4

(9)   Durham                     267,743               228,330                     17.3

(14) Raleigh                      464,758                403,892                    15.1

Source:  Pop. Estimates Program and Decennial Census, U.S. Census Bureau

These are old numbers.  The new numbers should be released this month :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1