Charlotte area population statistics

In the next release of county populations I think Wake County will pass Mecklenburg then never look back.  There is so much land undeveloped (and of course the county is about 50% bigger).   Much of Wake's growth is in the suburbs like Holly Springs, Cary, Apex, Morrisville, Wake Forest and all the eastern Wake towns as the city of Raleigh is somewhat boxed in to the west, the north, and increasing to the south.  

Charlotte will remain the largest city and largest metro in the Carolinas of course.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

In the next release of county populations I think Wake County will pass Mecklenburg then never look back.  There is so much land undeveloped (and of course the county is about 50% bigger).   Much of Wake's growth is in the suburbs like Holly Springs, Cary, Apex, Morrisville, Wake Forest and all the eastern Wake towns as the city of Raleigh is somewhat boxed in to the west, the north, and increasing to the south.  

Charlotte will remain the largest city and largest metro in the Carolinas of course.  

People always forget how large and how quickly growing some of the cities are that are right at raleigh's city limits. Wake has grown 19% since 2010 and Mecklenburg has grown by 17%. If trends continue then kj hit the nail on the head.

• Like 3

Just now, Nick2 said:

People always forget how large and how quickly growing some of the cities are that are right at raleigh's city limits. Wake has grown 19% since 2010 and Mecklenburg has grown by 17%. If trends continue then kj hit the nail on the head.

I deserve a trip to the Angus Barn in Raleigh which by the way I could not even get in even with my friend calling a manager he knows earlier this month. 

I drove around Morrisville which is between RTP and Cary and could not believe all the homes and residential going up and this is repeated all over Wake.  

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I deserve a trip to the Angus Barn in Raleigh which by the way I could not even get in even with my friend calling a manager he knows earlier this month. 

I drove around Morrisville which is between RTP and Cary and could not believe all the homes and residential going up and this is repeated all over Wake.  

It's interesting how drastically different the development is. Charlotte is kind of a traditional hub and spokes model with some sprawl. But it seems like the whole Raleigh area is one big suburb except for the immediate downtown area.

I've heard some fantastic things about the Angus Barn's food. The prices, not so much.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Lookout GA - NC is right on your heels!  (Will probably stay that way for the foreseeable future though:tw_expressionless:)

IMG_0821.PNG

IMG_0822.PNG

IMG_0823.PNG

Georgia's boom of late 80s/early 90s isthe difference in population. NC's been neck and neck since then but those years leading up to Olympics put us in a hole that will take another 25-30 years to overcome. Long term, NC will be the bigger state for a variety of reasons. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Georgia's boom of late 80s/early 90s isthe difference in population. NC's been neck and neck since then but those years leading up to Olympics put us in a hole that will take another 25-30 years to overcome. Long term, NC will be the bigger state for a variety of reasons. 

Curious, What reasons?

The population of North Carolina has consistently outpaced Georgia since at least 2010.  The average numerical growth per year between 2010 and 2017 was about 103K for GA, and 105K for NC.  NC has much more desirable retirement locations as well, and walks away with the category of people wanting to live in mountains.  

Deeper dive into the latest numbers.  

https://demography.cpc.unc.edu/

2018_Majority-of-NC-migrants-from-other-states-768x464.png

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 4