Charlotte area population statistics

11 hours ago, Trickbot said:

Today was the day I forgot how to read a chart, sorry I see now. I was reading it as pop, then area, then density. Thanks for the clarification though

It took me a moment to understand the chart myself. Without individual column headings the lines were confusing to parse. Finally it was English to metric area measurements which is an odd characteristic and not mentioned in the heading for the post. Eventually brainpower struck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone else notice Charlotte's density is lower than almost everything else on the list? The only city I found with lower was Birmingham. I think they may have extended urban areas boundaries of Charlotte a lot further in area on the outskirts of the metro adding very little population relative to the land area included.

14 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Anyone else notice Charlotte's density is lower than almost everything else on the list? The only city I found with lower was Birmingham. I think they may have extended urban areas boundaries of Charlotte a lot further in area on the outskirts of the metro adding very little population relative to the land area included.

West to East on 16 coming in is jarring, even and up to getting onto 74; ain’t a damn thing for miles.

There may be something to extending the urban boundaries,  but Charlotte has a ton of land that’s underdeveloped, undeveloped, or underutilized.

Which is why Raleigh deserves all the money and Sarah Palin is automatically mayor of Charlotte 

• Confused 3

@Tyrone Wiggum It's only 100k short of the metro population. So that means they're including swaths of eastern union. Stanley. Anson. And other very low density areas by comparison. NC is like that in general. Even in the city limits somewhere, you'll have long drives on highways with nothing on either side. Development is weird sometimes.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Census numbers are in, though it looks like the full dataset has been released only to media at the moment.  Charlotte MSA officially surpassed the 2.5 mil population mark at 2.56 mil.  This looks to be a jump of about 80k over the previous year, although 25k of that jump is probably due to the reentry of Anson County to the metro area.    Still,  a 55k jump in population for the counties that were already in the MSA I think is the biggest jump (2012/2013 changes in delineation notwithstanding) since the onset of the recession.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article229374659.html

Charlotte metro passed the 2.5M mark last year actually, if I’m not mistaken 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QCxpat said:

Here's the U.S. Census Bureau's Press Release regarding the 07/01/18 County and Metro Area Pop. Estimates.

Note that the 3 most populous U.S. metro areas lost pop. between 07/01/17 and 07/01/18.    NYC metro lost approx.  19,500.   LA metro area lost approx. 7,250.   Chicago metro area lost approx. 22,100.  Biggest numeric gain was in the Dallas- Ft. Worth metro area, adding approx. 132,000 residents and topping 7.5 M.

Also note that the story posted above by @cltbwimob from the Raleigh News & Observer contains an obvious error.  It says that the Charlotte metro area has a 07/01/18 estimated pop. of 2.56 M making it the 31st largest metro in the USA.  That's clearly wrong.  Charlotte is the 22nd largest metro area in the United States.   What else would you expect from our cross-State rival?  LOL

The Raleigh metro area has a 07/01/18 estimated pop. of 1.33 M.   Mecklenburg  County is still NC’s most populous county with an estimated pop. of 1,093,901 residents as of 07/01/18, followed closely by Wake County (Raleigh) with an estimated pop. of 1,092,305.

Link:   https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2019/estimates-county-metro.html

It is very interesting and noteworthy that that 3 largest metro areas all lost population that is significant.  They usually grow if not through domestic growth through international growth which means these gateway cities are still attracting people but not as fast as they are losing them to other metro areas in the country.  They are all high taxes, high cost places to live and do business and I suspect this trend will continue if not accelerate. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, QCxpat said:

Also note that the story posted above by @cltbwimob from the Raleigh News & Observer contains an obvious error.  It says that the Charlotte metro area has a 07/01/18 estimated pop. of 2.56 M making it the 31st largest metro in the USA.  That's clearly wrong.  Charlotte is the 22nd largest metro area in the United States.   What else would you expect from our cross-State rival?  LOL

That ranking is for % growth not the actual size, unless I'm mistaken.

• Thanks 1

Today's CBJ story, "Metro Charlotte's Population rises again, with these counties leading the surge," by Jenna Martin 04/18/2019

The Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC metropolitan statistical area consists of 10 counties (7 in N.C. and 3 in S.C.) with an est. pop. as of 07/01/2018 of 2.57 M  

Here are the U.S. Census Bureau's pop. estimates for each of the 10 counties as of 07/01/2018 (listed largest to smallest)

Mecklenburg County, NC    -    1,093,901          

York County, SC     -                           274,118

Union County, NC    -                       235,908

Gaston County, NC    -                     222,846

Cabarrus County, NC    -                211,342

Iredell County, NC    -                      178,435

Rowan County, NC    -                     141,262

Lancaster County, SC   -                   95,380

Lincoln County, NC    -                       83,770

Chester County, NC  -                       32,251

GRAND TOTAL:                             2,569,273

Jenna Martin at CBJ  writes: 

"Overall, the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia metropolitan statistical area grew by 44,350 residents in the year between July 1, 2017 and the same date in 2018  ... That equates to an average of about 853 new people a week and nearly 122 each day."

Link:   https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/04/18/gallery-metro-charlottes-population-rises-again.html

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Temeteron said:

Charlotte metro passed the 2.5M mark last year actually, if I’m not mistaken 

@Temeteron  Yes, you're correct that the Charlotte metro area crossed the 2.5 M pop. threshold in 2017.  

Here are the U.S.  Census Bureau's pop. estimates as of 07/01 for 2016-2018 for the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC metropolitan statistical area.

2016    -    2,474,314

2017    -    2,525,305

2018    -    2,569,273

Note, however, that Anson County is not part of either the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia NC-SC Metropolitan Statistical Area or the Charlotte-Concord Combined Statistical Area,  

The Charlotte-Concord combined statistical area (CSA) consists of the 10 counties enumerated in the post immediately above this one, plus Cleveland (Shelby) and Stanly (Albemarle) counties in NC.

Anson, Alexander, and Catawba counties in N.C. and Chesterfield county in S.C. are sometimes included in what is referred to as the "Charlotte Region," but those 4 counties are not technically a part of either Charlotte's MSA or CSA.

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, QCxpat said:

@Temeteron  Yes, you're correct that the Charlotte metro area crossed the 2.5 M pop. threshold in 2017.  

Here are the U.S.  Census Bureau's pop. estimates as of 07/01 for 2016-2018 for the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC metropolitan statistical area.

2016    -    2,474,314

2017    -    2,525,305

2018    -    2,569,273

Note, however, that Anson County is not part of either the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia NC-SC Metropolitan Statistical Area or the Charlotte-Concord Combined Statistical Area,  

The Charlotte-Concord combined statistical area (CSA) consists of the 10 counties enumerated in the post immediately above this one, plus Cleveland (Shelby) and Stanly (Albemarle) counties in NC.

Anson, Alexander, and Catawba counties in N.C. and Chesterfield county in S.C. are sometimes included in what is referred to as the "Charlotte Region," but those 4 counties are not technically a part of either Charlotte's MSA or CSA.

Wonder why Anson wasn’t included in the estimates given that the metro area delineation was supposedly changed to include it as of last year.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Bulletin-18-04.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Wonder why Anson wasn’t included in the estimates given that the metro area delineation was supposedly changed to include it as of last year.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Bulletin-18-04.pdf

Excellent question.  It's governed by the effective date of the OMB Bulletin.   OMB Bulletin No. 18-04, which promulgated revised delineations of MSAs, MicroSAs, and CSAs, is dated 09/14/2018 and  was effective as of that date.   

Under the new geographic delineations effective as of 09/14/2018, Anson County will be treated as part of the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia NC-SC MSA going forward.  Although the new geographic delineations will impact the Census Bureau's pop. datasets subsequent to 09/14/2018,  the new geographic delineations didn't impact pop. estimates for periods prior to its effective date of 09/14/2018.    

The just -released metropolitan and micropolitan statistical area pop. estimates were as of 07/01/2018,  a period prior to the effective date of OMB Bulletin No. 18-04.   As of 07/01/2018, Anson County was not considered to be part of the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia MSA.   However, Anson County's will be treated as part of the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia NC-SC MSA for pop. datasets gathered after 09/14/2018.   Accordingly, next year (April 2020) when the U.S. Census Bureau releases its pop. estimates for the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia MSA, it will include Anson County.

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 2

Wikipedia quickly updated their list of the top metro areas with 2018 numbers.   Their list makes it easy to compare .  To note both Charlotte and Nashville are growing at the same rate almost exactly and both in percentage growth beat the Atlanta.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

Fastest metro in SC is Charleston but still #3 largest in the state.  Fastest metro in NC is Raleigh then Charlotte. 

Just 4 metros in Texas account for 18,500,000 part of the Texas Golden Triangle.  

KJ can proudly say I have been to all the top 25 and #383 too to name a few and I have been to many more. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...