Charlotte area population statistics

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

According to this article, we will surpass San Antonio by the end of 2017.  I wonder if the city population will surpass it as well.

17 hours ago, rickrodewd said:

According to this article, we will surpass San Antonio by the end of 2017.  I wonder if the city population will surpass it as well.

San Antonio has about 1.5 million people in city proper, granted that covers a huge area.

But we aren't passing them anytime soon.  We shouldn't even hit a million until the early 2020's.

• Like 1

I lived in San Antonio and loved it but they are always saying SA is the 7th largest city in the USA which it is within the city limits. I only look at metro populations as pointed out Charlotte city is larger in population than Atlanta city but the metro area of ATL is over 5 million! Charlotte will be cresting 2.5 million this year. However metro Charlotte and San Antonio are similar in metro populations but Charlotte is far wealthier. Downtown San Antonio is getting their first new office tower first one in 30 years. Let that sink in how much uptown Charlotte has changed with office towers.Here is the article on their new office tower http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2017/01/12/downtown-property-sale-cements-frost-tower-land.html  (I do like this design a lot and yet people there wanted taller, bigger etc sounds like Charlotte UPers) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ah59396 said:

San Antonio has about 1.5 million people in city proper, granted that covers a huge area.

But we aren't passing them anytime soon.  We shouldn't even hit a million until the early 2020's.

My bad.  I was confusing Fort Worth with San Antonio.  You are correct.  I remember Charlotte being very close in population to Fort Worth.

• 1 month later...

It's likely that within the next week or two, the Census Bureau will release new population estimates for (1) metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas, and (2) county populations.  Last year, the Census Bureau's data appeared on the web and in print media on 03/24.

Edited by QCxpat
simplify

On 12/20/2016 at 3:30 PM, Third Strike said:

North Carolina has grown to 10,146,788 in population count. This makes North Carolina the 12th fastest growing state in the nation. We also added a few more people than Georgia this time around.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article121954063.html

North Carolina is the 9th most populous state. North Carolina and Georgia are neck and neck in population. At the rate that N.C. and Ga. are growing, we will pass Ohio in the very near future just as North Carolina passed Michigan .Although we are only 12 in fast growth, the only larger states that are growing at a faster pace are Texas and Florida. Nevada is number one but they have a population of less than 3 million. 

• 2 weeks later...

Charlotte metro county numbers for 2016:

These are the fastest growing and shrinking counties in North Carolina

Mecklenburg at 1,054,835. Still currently the largest county in North Carolina, but Wake is only eight thousand away from overtaking us.

Cabarrus is now over 200k. York and Lancaster are exploding in growth. Union still doing well. Many of the outlying counties like Cleveland and Stanly are declining in population.

The Charlotte MSA is now at 2,474,314. The CSA is at 2,632,247. By either next year or the year after, the Charlotte CSA should surpass Pittsburgh's to become the twentieth largest CSA in the country.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Third Strike said:

By either next year or the year after, the Charlotte CSA should surpass Pittsburgh's to become the twentieth largest CSA in the country.  

Phoenix doesn't have a defined CSA, do they?  If that's right, then the "ranking" among CSAs omits Phoenix.

Edit: I did a quick-and-dirty mapping of MSA to CSA.  Sometimes more than 1 MSA go into a CSA (Washington and Baltimore, and I *think* LA and Riverside).  On the other hand, I'm not sure about the 4 MSAs with the question mark (Phoenix, San Diego, Tampa, San Antonio).....they might not belong to any CSA.

msa-csa_zpsicfmivar.jpg

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

I dont like these consolidated metro areas CSAs for example Baltimore Washington where I once lived.  Sure there is some overlap with commuters going towards Baltimore or DC in the Maryland suburbs but ask any Washingtonian if they feel connected to Baltimore and the answer would be no. And I would say vice versa. This being said I do see the Raleigh Durham area being a one metro many people from Wake county commute to the Durham county side of the RTP and some the other way. I do view Raleigh Durham as one metro and the same with Greensboro Winston Salem and High Point.   But a Miami to Port St Lucie metro  in south Florida is crazy. Hardly anyone in Palm Beach county commutes to Miami Dade though a few do I am sure but Martin County which is the county north of Palm Beach hardly no one would commute that far south. Each of those 4 south Florida counties have some overlap but jumping from Martin County to Miami Dade is a bridge too far so to speak.    Charlotte is in the top 25 which is good and of course we are growing fast. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I dont like these consolidated metro areas CSAs for example Baltimore Washington where I once lived.  Sure there is some overlap with commuters going towards Baltimore or DC in the Maryland suburbs but ask any Washingtonian if they feel connected to Baltimore and the answer would be no.

I don't think that's necessarily correct. I used to live in suburban Baltimore and I felt every bit as much a part of the DC area as I did part of Baltimore.  Now if you ask someone from Aberdeen MD whether they believe they have a shared connection with people in Fredericksburg VA by virtue of the fact that they reside in the same CSA, they would probably say no.  But I believe there are definitely communal and economic connections between the cities themselves.

4 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I don't think that's necessarily correct. I used to live in suburban Baltimore and I felt every bit as much a part of the DC area as I did part of Baltimore.  Now if you ask someone from Aberdeen MD whether they believe they have a shared connection with people in Fredericksburg VA by virtue of the fact that they reside in the same CSA, they would probably say no.  But I believe there are definitely communal and economic connections between the cities themselves.

I guess it depends on where you live.  I lived in Fairfax county and I never thought I was part of the Baltimore area even when DC had no baseball team. I live in the Washington metro and that was it. However I think they should consider media markets as Baltimore and DC are separate yet Raleigh Durham is one media market as is the Triad 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 9:41 PM, KJHburg said:

I dont like these consolidated metro areas CSAs for example Baltimore Washington where I once lived.  Sure there is some overlap with commuters going towards Baltimore or DC in the Maryland suburbs but ask any Washingtonian if they feel connected to Baltimore and the answer would be no. And I would say vice versa. This being said I do see the Raleigh Durham area being a one metro many people from Wake county commute to the Durham county side of the RTP and some the other way. I do view Raleigh Durham as one metro and the same with Greensboro Winston Salem and High Point.   But a Miami to Port St Lucie metro  in south Florida is crazy. Hardly anyone in Palm Beach county commutes to Miami Dade though a few do I am sure but Martin County which is the county north of Palm Beach hardly no one would commute that far south. Each of those 4 south Florida counties have some overlap but jumping from Martin County to Miami Dade is a bridge too far so to speak.    Charlotte is in the top 25 which is good and of course we are growing fast. 

I honestly believe they combine the CSAs in order to make American cities look bigger in comparison to international cities and metros. It allows marketers to say that  (for example) Washington is a city with ten million people. I expect that in 2020 they'll combine the New York and Philadelphia CSAs, allowing the US to have a "city" of 30 million. There is some cachet in large cities, and without CSA amalgamation, the US has no cities in the international top 10.

• Like 1

According to Wendell Cox (principal of Demographia, an international public policy and demographics firm), "...the greatest rates of domestic migration among the 53 major metropolitan areas (over 1 M pop.) are overwhelmingly in the South. Austin is number one, gaining nearly 1.7 % from domestic migration.  Austin is followed by Tampa-St. Petersburg, Raleigh and Jacksonville.  Las Vegas is the only non-Southern major metropolitan area among the top five in net domestic migration.  The second five includes four Southern metropolitan areas, Charlotte, Orlando and Nashville, ranking sixth through eighth, and San Antonio ranking tenth.  Phoenix placed ninth." 

cox-msa16-3.jpg

Charlotte's 2016 MSA pop. was estimated to be 2,474,314.  Charlotte's population change between 2015 and 2016 was 2.05%.  Charlotte's net domestic migration rate was 1.31%.  Charlotte's domestic migration rank was 13th out of 106 MSA with pops. over 500,000.

cox-msa16-5.jpg

Charlotte remains the country's 22nd largest MSA.  Raleigh passed Louisville to become the 43rd largest MSA.  Raleigh's estimated 2016 MSA pop. was 1,302,946.  

See Flight From Urban Cores Accelerates: 2016 Census Metropolitan Area Estimates, by Wendell Cox 03/24/2017 at:  

http://www.newgeography.com/content/005570-flight-urban-cores-accelerates-2016-census-metropolitan-area-estimates

There are 53 MSAs with populations greater than 1 M.  Six of those 53 MSAs are not part of a CSA: Phoenix, San Diego, Tampa-St. Petersburg, San Antonio, Austin and Richmond.  See  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

For Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2016 - United States -- Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Area; and for Puerto Rico, 2016 Population Estimates, See https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk 

Charlotte's 2016 CSA population was 2,632,249 (Rank 21st), just behind Pittsburgh's CSA pop. of 2,635,228.  However, the Pittsburg CSA lost more than 11,000 residents between 2015 and 2016, while Charlotte's CSA gained nearly 50,000 residents in that period.  

See https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk  (American Fact Finder, Combined Statistical Areas, 07/01/2016).

Edited by QCxpat
Add CSA data.
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, QCxpat said:

According to Wendell Cox (principal of Demographia, an international public policy and demographics firm)...

See Flight From Urban Cores Accelerates: 2016 Census Metropolitan Area Estimates, by Wendell Cox 03/24/2017 at: 

The recent release by the census certainly indicates a big shift in migration from earlier in the decade. That said be careful with Wendell Cox's stuff. He is financed by the Heritage foundation and is very strongly biased towards promoting sprawl. I am not calling the census figures into dispute, just reminding folks that Cox can seriously pervert 'evidence based research' when it suits the needs of his funders.

For example: https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303302504577323353434618474

or https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304864504579143371449924220

Edited by kermit

I think CSAs definitely are corroborated by ground reality.  I live in Northern Virginia. Certainly, I feel more connected to DC than Baltimore, but there is no doubt that there is a commerce and media connection between DC and Baltimore. Many of the workers in my office live in Baltimore or its immediate suburbs, and some people that live in DC work in Baltimore. Even with the Nationals, many people in DC and NoVA travel to Camden Yards to see Orioles games. Additionally, people in DC and NoVA sometimes fly out of BWI airport.  Further, DC media often covers Baltimore stories as local stories.  While the connection between DC and Baltimore may not be as tight as the nexus between Raleigh and Durham or Winston-Salem and Greensboro, connectivity does exist.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the reasoning in having Durham, winston, raleigh, and greensboro be their own individual MSA's but they're so close together that they really should be considered one MSA for the triangle and the triad. Then the CSA includes counties that are further out.

On 3/28/2017 at 6:27 PM, DCMetroRaleigh said:

I think CSAs definitely are corroborated by ground reality.  I live in Northern Virginia. Certainly, I feel more connected to DC than Baltimore, but there is no doubt that there is a commerce and media connection between DC and Baltimore.

Of course! I wouldn't say otherwise. :) The thing is, though, you can be in the Washington CSA and have a commuting/economic/identity relationship with Washington-Baltimore, but CSAs are often used for city population rankings now, and that's the practice that I think is a little weird. I've seen Washington referred to as a "city of ten million" in a couple of places, which just isn't accurate. It's this practice that I think is marketing-driven.

• 1 month later...

The Census Bureau's annual estimates of the population of cities and towns as of 7/1/2016 is likely to be released later this week.  Last year, the estimates appeared on the web on 05/18/16.  Currently, we're probably in what is referred to as the media "embargo period" (36-48 hours) prior to the public release of the data.  Charlotte's population will probably fall somewhere in the range of 845,000 to 850,000 as of 7/1/2016.  It would really be T*H*R*I*L*L*I*N*G if the QC tops 850,000.  We'll see in just a few days.    

1 hour ago, QCxpat said:

The Census Bureau's annual estimates of the population of cities and towns as of 7/1/2016 is likely to be released later this week.  Last year, the estimates appeared on the web on 05/18/16.  Currently, we're probably in what is referred to as the media "embargo period" (36-48 hours) prior to the public release of the data.  Charlotte's population will probably fall somewhere in the range of 845,000 to 850,000 as of 7/1/2016.  It would really be T*H*R*I*L*L*I*N*G if the QC tops 850,000.  We'll see in just a few days.    

I just hope we pass Columbus, Indianapolis and Forth Worth! :)

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

I just hope we pass Columbus, Indianapolis and Forth Worth! :)

We have passed Columbus and Indianapolis in metro population and are very close in city population. We are growing quite a bit faster so we will have passed them by nor or will very soon. We probably won't pass Fort Worth.