Charlotte area population statistics

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:56 PM, QCxpat said:

N.C. and S.C. Cities of 50,000+ Ranked by July 1, 2017, U.S. Census Bureau Estimated Population

North Carolina Cities 50,000+

(1) Charlotte                             859,035

(2) Raleigh                                  464,758

(3) Greensboro                       290,222

(4) Durham                                267,743

(5) Winston-Salem                244,605

(6) Fayetteville                        209,889

(7) Cary                                        165,904

(8) Wilmington                        119,045

(9) High Point                           111,513

(10) Greenville                            92,156 

(11) Concord                                92,067

(12) Asheville                               91,902

(13) Gastonia                               76,593

(14) Jacksonville                        72,447

(15) Chapel Hill                          59,862

(16) Huntersville                       56,212

(17) Rocky Mount                     54,523

(18) Burlington                           53,077

(19) Apex                                        50,451

South Carolina Cities 50,000+

(1) Charleston                           134,875

(2) Columbia                              133,114

(3) North Charleston            110,861

(4) Mount Pleasant                   86,668

(5) Rock Hill                                  73,068

(6) Greenville                               68,219

(7) Summerville                          50,388

Link;   https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=PEP_2017_PEPANNRSIP.US12A&prodType=table  --  U.S. Census Bureau American Fact Finder

Durham is 311,640 as of July 1, 2017

Edited by RiverwoodCLT

10 hours ago, ah59396 said:

@kermit I think you make some fair points.  And I definitely don’t think you’re picking on me!

out of curiosity.  Do you have kids?  If so, would you be comfortable with them attending Garringer?  Harding?  West Charlotte?

I do have a 17 year old daughter who has been in CMS since the beginning. I would not have been happy to send her to any of those three schools, but we were fortunate enough to live in a 'good' CMS district (she is now in Myers Park HS). Despite that,  we skipped the neighborhood schools and sent her to CMS magnets for elementary and middle schools and they worked out very well. Now that charters are a thing people have had even more semi-public options.

Don't interpret any of this as a suggestion that all of CMS is problem free -- it certainly isn't. However, my experience was that urban life did not (in any way) doom my kid to crappy schools. In fact, based on my daughter's debate competitions and interactions with friends in other schools, she may have gotten a better education from intown CMS than she would have at Audrey Kell or South Meck. My experience suggests its an oversimplification to assume that you gotta live in the burbs for access to 'good' public ed. In addition, I have seen the number of public education options (for kids who have active and engaged parents) improve dramatically  over the past decade. From my perspective, intown public education is getting better, not worse.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

I do have a 17 year old daughter who has been in CMS since the beginning. I would not have been happy to send her to any of those three schools, but we were fortunate enough to live in a 'good' CMS district (she is now in Myers Park HS). Despite that,  we sent her to magnets for elementary and middle schools and they worked out very well. Now that charter's are a thing we would have had even more options.

Don't interpret any of this as a suggestion that all of CMS is problem free -- it certainly isn't. However, my experience was that urban life did not (in any way) doom my kid to crappy schools. In fact, based on my daughter's debate competitions and interactions with friends in other schools, she may have gotten a better education from intown CMS than she would have at Audrey Kell or South Meck. My experience suggests its an oversimplification to assume that you gotta live in the burbs for access to 'good' public ed. In addition, I have seen the number of public (and semi-public) education options (for kids who have active and engaged parents) improve dramatically  over the past decade. From my perspective, intown public education is getting better, not worse.

I’d agree as well.  It’s improving.  However I’d argue for the long term, Charlotte MUST do everything in its power to improve CMS if it wants sustainable urban growth.  What they have now simply is no where near good enough.  And it seriously concerns me for its future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ah59396 said:

@kermit I think you make some fair points.  And I definitely don’t think you’re picking on me!

out of curiosity.  Do you have kids?  If so, would you be comfortable with them attending Garringer?  Harding?  West Charlotte?

I can't speak for Garringer, but most everyone I know who went to the other two schools went to top tier universities and are now doctors, pharmacists with their own pharmacies, and other medical professionals, as well as other enviable professions in New York, D.C. and Chicago. Even the parents who do the stay at home thing went to Chapel Hill and ran businesses for a while. There are good programs there that turn out some very smart, successful adults.

I did, however, just read a bunch of comments from students that attend  Ardrey Kell flat out tell adults to stop putting their school on a pedestal as it is filled with drugs and alcohol. And everybody knows Providence kids will meet you in the Arboretum parking lot to sell you whatever drugs you're looking for. Wasn't this discussed here a while ago?

Point: Both areas have their positives & negatives. Public school is public school be it in town or in the suburbs. 

• Like 1

I spent my most of my working life in CMS and my view is that each child has a unique experience in school. In elementary school the classroom is different for each teacher and the quality of education for any student is within that room more so than any school-wide numbers or ranking you may find. We all have younger year teachers we will never forget, a teacher from that early time that we wish that we could forget and the rest we forget. No different now.

In high schools, where I spent the bulk of my time, it was apparent that the better (and best) students went to another school from the rest of the student body. Those in the advanced classes had common peers and competitors from grade 9 onward, cultivated their friendships within that peer group, and had feelings of inadequacy even though they were the best of the school. This was because they knew and compared themselves with those they associated with and were in many ways under-aware of the rest of the school, the bulk of the student body. That other larger group composes the bulk of the school and therein lies the median of the school which is what is often reported. The upper end of academic performance is provided by a minority of individuals who move through the school as if the rest of the students were not there. They create their social stratum from their academic stratum. There are, of course, exceptions to this general view.

I worked at Weddington High School for three years which was 95% white, highly affluent, no Latino nor Amerindian, a handful of Black and Asians and this separation was less apparent than in CMS schools perhaps because the academic and social differences were compressed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I can't speak for Garringer, but most everyone I know who went to the other two schools went to top tier universities and are now doctors, pharmacists with their own pharmacies, and other medical professionals, as well as other enviable professions in New York, D.C. and Chicago. Even the parents who do the stay at home thing went to Chapel Hill and ran businesses for a while. There are good programs there that turn out some very smart, successful adults.

I did, however, just read a bunch of comments from students that attend  Ardrey Kell flat out tell adults to stop putting their school on a pedestal as it is filled with drugs and alcohol. And everybody knows Providence kids will meet you in the Arboretum parking lot to sell you whatever drugs you're looking for. Wasn't this discussed here a while ago?

Point: Both areas have their positives & negatives. Public school is public school be it in town or in the suburbs. 

Respectfully I’ll have to disagree with you here.  You make it sound like it’s a toss up of pros and cons between Ardrey Kell and West Charlotte.  That’s just not true.  Those may have been good schools at one point in their history, but I wouldn’t want my kid to go there.

I mean, look at this.  Which school do you think is which?

3CD32914-C987-40B3-BC7F-29AEF791809A.thumb.png.3917d5e6ba35148fda6ee65525011e88.pngB40AC9E3-4C8C-4781-A99F-DCEA9529D0E7.thumb.png.feda7c76170f829892299de78ef7bdc1.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Respectfully I’ll have to disagree with you here.  You make it sound like it’s a toss up of pros and cons between Ardrey Kell and West Charlotte.  That’s just not true.  Those may have been good schools at one point in their history, but I wouldn’t want my kid to go there.

3CD32914-C987-40B3-BC7F-29AEF791809A.thumb.png.3917d5e6ba35148fda6ee65525011e88.pngB40AC9E3-4C8C-4781-A99F-DCEA9529D0E7.thumb.png.feda7c76170f829892299de78ef7bdc1.png

I'm just telling you what I know firsthand.

22 hours ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

Durham is 311,640 as of July 1, 2017

7 hours ago, nicholas said:

I thought that was Durham County?  The City of Durham is growing fast, but not quite that fast! :thumbsup:

@nicholas  is correct. :tw_thumbsup:

In 1849, Dr. Bartlett Leonidas Snipes Durham  (1924 - 1859) donated 4 of his 100 acres to serve as a railway station to the N.C. town and county that both were eponymously named "Durham" after him. 

The City of Durham's Census Bureau (C.B.) estimated pop. as of 07/01/2017 is 267,743, and the city is ranked as the country's 77th largest city.

The County of Durham's C.B. estimated pop. as of 07/01/2017 is 311,640.

Links;

(2) https://durhamcountylibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/The-Bull-City—A-Short-History-of-Durham.pdf  "The Bull City - A Short History of Durham, NC," by Lynn Richardson, Durham County Library, Duke Univ. Press, 1990.

(2) https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2017/demo/popest/counties-total.html  --  From Census Bureau County Pop. Totals and Components of Change: 2010 - 2017.

(3)  https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk  -- U.S. Census Bureau American Fact Finder Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places of 50,000 or more, Ranked by July 1, 2017 Population - See City of Durham #77 on the CB's list.

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

5 hours ago, ah59396 said:

It's interesting y'all bring this up.

Justin Perry, a therapist, CMS graduate, and contributor to various publications, has been writing for years about how the more affluent, high-SES-segregated schools, tend to have really bad drug problems these days. He cites heroin, but alludes to others. 

Basically, in general, the physical isolation  of the suburbs, combined with the emotional toll of being among a homogenous student body, while also having all of your "material needs" met, results in emotional struggles that affluent kids are likely to manage with drugs.

Here's one article (01.02.2016)

Here's another one (04.25.2016)

Here's another one, too (05.10.2018)

Anyone have any thoughts on this? 

• Like 2

Not sure about schools in particular, but can concur that affluent areas of town are some of the higher overdose areas in our city. The highest and lowest income areas the worst for drugs. You can definitely tell when a "bad" batch of heroin hits the street. I'm sure it's similar when it filters into the schools. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2018 at 10:49 AM, sonofaque86 said:

South Carolina's annexation laws have been in the books for over one hundred years. That's why the City Limit populations are not as large. There are about 400,000 people with a Columbia address. A majority of them are in unincorporated areas that are highly urban, but the state made annexation nearly impossible. There was never a such thing as involuntary annexation as NC had before they changed the laws.

Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville are the largest MSA's in the Carolina's after Charlotte, and Raleigh....So city limit population comparison isn't the best when comparing other states. Charlotte is not larger than Atlanta and Miami, etc....

Most Populated MSAs in NC/SC

#1 Charlotte

#2 Raleigh

#3 Greenville (SC)

#4 Columbia

#5 Charleston

#6 Greensboro

#7 Winston-Salem

Yes I understand your point and realize impressive growth south of te border however, Raleigh-Cary-Durham-Chapel Hill and  Winston-Kernersville Greensboro-High Point are separated but there is no denying that the Triangle and Triad are one conuberation.  One could say that from Archadale to Garner is a conuberaion. If there was more growth that would link from China Grove to Salisbury/Lexington and Thomasville we would be talking about a true mega-region from Charlotte to south of Garner in Wake county even further south as sprawl has began to creep in to Johnston County. So I recognize your point but in all honoesty the Census burea has made this more of a point of contention in the particular metro regions stated.   

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 2:32 PM, tarhoosier said:

Catawba county gains more than loses, if I am seeing this correctly.

A bit more than halfway down his website is the original for magnification:

https://metricmaps.org/

us-daytime-population-loss-and-gain.png

It's funny to me to see Watauga County (Boone/App State) with positive gain, but I believe it, that's where all the office/admin jobs are, mostly at App State, but any small regional office is gonna be in Boone. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte is one of the least segregated cities in the country bottom third according to this study.  If you want to find the most segregated go north! https://www.apartmentlist.com/rentonomics/persistent-effects-residential-segregation/

I have a friend of mine who is originally from Colombia and was living in suburban Miami back in the early 90's and made the comment about one of the things that struck her when she moved to Charlotte back in the early part of last decade, was the diversification of people in neighborhoods.  She stated that Miami and it's surrounding suburban area were very segregated at the time.   Northern cities have always had a de facto type of segregation going all the way back to the early 1900's.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rancenc said:

I have a friend of mine who is originally from Colombia and was living in suburban Miami back in the early 90's and made the comment about one of the things that struck her when she moved to Charlotte back in the early part of last decade, was the diversification of people in neighborhoods.  She stated that Miami and it's surrounding suburban area were very segregated at the time.   Northern cities have always had a de facto type of segregation going all the way back to the early 1900's.

I have heard this from quite a few people over the years - often stated as a reason to move/stay here. They all seemed surprised. I was equally surprised, at the time, that this wasn't something they were used to being from the north, Miami, etc. 

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte is one of the least segregated cities in the country bottom third according to this study.  If you want to find the most segregated go north! https://www.apartmentlist.com/rentonomics/persistent-effects-residential-segregation/

Shouldn't this statement have a conditional on it?  As in 'of its size'?

The city of Charlotte is 297.7 sq mi.  whereas the city of Milwaukee is just 96.84 sq mi.  68% of the urban population for Charlotte lives inside of the city whereas just 43% of the urban population of Milwaukee does.  A similar projection for Buffalo (40.6 sq mi)  which is also considered a segregated city that has just 23% of the urban population inside the city.  

Another way to put it is if Charlotte resembled a Northern segregated city by structure, areas like Ballantyne and 'the wedge' would be separate towns and the 'core' of Charlotte would look similar statistically to Milwaukee.  

At least that's my take.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Shouldn't this statement have a conditional on it?  As in 'of its size'?

The city of Charlotte is 297.7 sq mi.  whereas the city of Milwaukee is just 96.84 sq mi.  68% of the urban population for Charlotte lives inside of the city whereas just 43% of the urban population of Milwaukee does.  A similar projection for Buffalo (40.6 sq mi)  which is also considered a segregated city that has just 23% of the urban population inside the city.  

Another way to put it is if Charlotte resembled a Northern segregated city by structure, areas like Ballantyne and 'the wedge' would be separate towns and the 'core' of Charlotte would look similar statistically to Milwaukee.  

At least that's my take.  

I think Charlotte is up to 305 sq miles now, but I kind of agree with what you’re saying. 

Charlotte is (anecdotally) waaaaaay more segregated than San Diego (at least in middle class areas).  It was striking to me when I moved here and it's one of the things I dislike about where I live.  It's been particularly difficult to find diversity in church (I've been to three here and they are 99%+ white unfortunately).  There is, however, a much smaller African American population (by percentage) in SD and those communities tend to be concentrated in specific areas.  VERY large Hispanic population obviously and a lot of Asians also and they tend to be less segregated.  The key to better integration is more economic opportunity and mobility.

• Like 1

That's an awesome map! Interesting to see that more people are leaving meck to Columbia and gboro than coming in.

Does anyone know how to set it up to look at that same type of data for other counties? I can't figure out how to do it on the host website.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Extraordinary to see this, won’t be long till the MSA passes 3 Million. I get wary of our growth from time to time, But at the end of the day we continue to be one of the fastest growing cities with stable growth predicted to last several more decades.