Charlotte area population statistics

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 11:56 AM, Crucial_Infra said:

Charlotte passed Indianapolis to become the 16th most populous U.S. city. 

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article230699979.html

Looks like Charlotte might overtake San Francisco to move into 15th place soon but hard to see getting much higher than that (though Columbus and Jacksonville are vulnerable). More here from the census press release... 

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2019/subcounty-population-estimates.html

Jacksonville shouldn’t even be on there.  Their square miles are over twice as much.  Then again it can be said that it’s an unfair comparison about ours with other cities that have bigger metros but smaller city propers like Atlanta, St. Louis, Denver and Seattle.  

6 hours ago, Temeteron said:

Jacksonville shouldn’t even be on there.  Their square miles are over twice as much.  Then again it can be said that it’s an unfair comparison about ours with other cities that have bigger metros but smaller city propers like Atlanta, St. Louis, Denver and Seattle.  

Jacksonville's city population is inflated due to it being a consolidated city-county.  The numbers reflect almost the entire population of Duval county.  Indianapolis is a consolidated city-county as well, but their county (Marion) land area is much smaller than Duval.  Jacksonville's population density is half that of Indianapolis and Charlotte. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Havemercy said:

Jacksonville's city population is inflated due to it being a consolidated city-county.  The numbers reflect almost the entire population of Duval county.  Indianapolis is a consolidated city-county as well, but their county (Marion) land area is much smaller than Duval.  Jacksonville's population density is half that of Indianapolis and Charlotte. 

Same with Nashville-Davidson County. It "inflates" Nashville's size to 526 square miles, which is just 20 shy of the size of  Mecklenburg County. City pops are practically useless.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2019 at 11:56 AM, Crucial_Infra said:

Charlotte passed Indianapolis to become the 16th most populous U.S. city. 

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article230699979.html

Looks like Charlotte might overtake San Francisco to move into 15th place soon but hard to see getting much higher than that (though Columbus and Jacksonville are vulnerable). More here from the census press release... 

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2019/subcounty-population-estimates.html

San Francisco will be toast within the next year (2020 estimate release for 2019 Population) with the way Charlotte is growing.   Columbus Ohio will be surpassed as well but not until the 2022 or 2023 timeframe I believe.   Jacksonville FL will also be surpassed by Charlotte but I honestly don’t think that’ll happen until around 2026/2027.  Florida cities are having strong growth across the board.

BTW - Anyone notice the Ft. Worth jump to 13th?  They used to be 16th & CLT 17th in Population not too long ago.  Man - Dont mess with Texas!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

San Francisco will be toast within the next year (2020 estimate release for 2019 Population) with the way Charlotte is growing.   Columbus Ohio will be surpassed as well but not until the 2022 or 2023 timeframe I believe.   Jacksonville FL will also be surpassed by Charlotte but I honestly don’t think that’ll happen until around 2026/2027.  Florida cities are having strong growth across the board.

BTW - Anyone notice the Ft. Worth jump to 13th?  They used to be 16th & CLT 17th in Population not too long ago.  Man - Dont mess with Texas!

I agree especially with San Fran.   As for Fort Worth they can still annex land where as Dallas is more hemmed in by other cities and towns.  

Charlotte still has a lot more land to annex before becoming landlocked like many other cities and of course increasing density in the city core. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I was just talking with a co-worker in SF, who said that one of her employees is leaving the Greater Bay area for (wait for it) Pittsburgh - my old hometown.  When i caught my breath and asked why, she said that outside of being closer to family in Ohio, the cost of living was one of the main causes.  I have heard about this for a long time, and a long time ago experienced how expensive this city was - compared to other cities like LA or NYC.  It is amazing how anyone can afford to live in California at all anymore!

• Like 4

I'm always skeptical about population stats on cities (incorporated areas), because annexation policies and possibilities vary wildly.  Until a few years ago, Charlotte could annex territory without the approval of those being annexed, provided certain density standards were met, and provided Charlotte committed to providing the usual city services.  But no more -- involuntary annexation is now over for Charlotte, as it has long been for most of the rest of the country.

County population trends, and metro area population trends, provide more realistic information.

• Like 1

Major cities are slowing in their population growth and this includes Charlotte according this Brookings article.  My thought is housing is extremely higher priced intown in Charlotte versus the suburbs now. Most of the price decreases on homes i see are intown homes and properties and this is not as prevalent in the suburbs and the outer counties.  

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2019/05/24/big-city-growth-stalls-further-as-the-suburbs-make-a-comeback/

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/how-migration-of-millennials-and-seniors-has-shifted-since-the-great-recession/

May have posted this earlier but was referenced online today elsewhere. Charlotte one of top spots for 25-34 cohort and also gaining in 55+ cohort.

this is great Charlotte is the ONLY city in the southeast attracting over 7000 millenials and that includes much larger Miami Dade and Atlanta.  

Plus Charlotte is attracting seniors too which is good and that is evidenced all around the city especially in surrounding counties like Lincoln (Trilogy) Mecklenburg various places but Cresswind a big development, York with Sun City Carolina Orchards, Lancaster with Sun City Carolina Lakes and many age targeted communities large and small all over.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Very interesting Statistics indeed!  What I’m much looking forward too (although I know it’ll be much more difficult) is Charlotte surpassing Jacksonville in order to have the Southeast Bragging Rights of largest city.   Hopefully our Uptown Skyline would be even more impressive by the time we catch Jacksonville in next 7 years

• Like 1