Charlotte area population statistics

I'm talking about the expediency and sense of fast tracking.  In the universities' efforts to showcase how so many students graduate in four years, they're not allowing for folks to shop around, so to speak, and try different majors.   She has students coming to her really stressed out over the majors they committed to early on, but now have second thoughts. 

That’s weird. I know most students spend the majority of their first 2 years taking general education classes and they won’t be behind if they’re undecided by that point. That allows them some depth of exploration into other majors they might not have thought of. For example, I’m a computer science major, yet I had to take Theater as well as weightlifting. I also took a forensics class which was pretty nifty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, thenewkage95 said:

That’s weird. I know most students spend the majority of their first 2 years taking general education classes and they won’t be behind if they’re undecided by that point. That allows them some depth of exploration into other majors they might not have thought of. For example, I’m a computer science major, yet I had to take Theater as well as weightlifting. I also took a forensics class which was pretty nifty.

I'm just repeating what she tells me.  I too took many disparate courses at Appalachian, but that was back in 1978-81.  The pressure to graduate in four years was seemingly a lot less than it appears to be now.  MANY of my buddies took 5-6 years and it was no biggie.  Did you take your general courses at UNCC?

6 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

... The pressure to graduate in four years was seemingly a lot less than it appears to be now.  MANY of my buddies took 5-6 years and it was no biggie.  ...

I was on the five year plan as an undergrad too. Its much easier to drink your way through a few extra semesters at $400 a semester than it is at $4,000 a semester at the same state school today.

• Like 1

I'm just repeating what she tells me.  I too took many disparate courses at Appalachian, but that was back in 1978-81.  The pressure to graduate in four years was seemingly a lot less than it appears to be now.  MANY of my buddies took 5-6 years and it was no biggie.  Did you take your general courses at UNCC?

I took some general courses at UNCC and some at NC State. I’m one of those 5-6 year students and it has partially taken so long because I work to pay for school. It does look more impressive to graduate in 4 years, but I’d rather take my time and figure out the career that’s right for me than rush and end up with a degree in a field I hate.

• Like 4

Gini coefficient for US. Note NC which is within .01 of US. Gini coefficient of inequality: 1.0=one person has all wealth. .01=all wealth is shared equally

https://metricmaps.org/2019/11/16/us-county-state-gini-index-of-income-inequality/

us-income-inequality.png

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dale said:

Regarding Seattle vs Atlanta, at last check, Seattle’s cost of living was significantly higher. 

As an aside, while visiting my teammates, in Silicon Valley, they were aghast when I showed them pictures of my Matthews house and told them how much I paid for it. Warned them that they’ed better treat me right, or else I’d taunt them with cellphone pics of NC gas prices. 

Affordability is the new hip. And transplants I talk to say we still have it.

haha I'm in tech and a few of my co-workers moved from Charlotte. They described Charlotte as "Boring".  WA is much more tax friendly than NC if you want to start comparing states.  Also, salaries here are significantly higher. 

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, mpretori said:

haha I'm in tech and a few of my co-workers moved from Charlotte. They described Charlotte as "Boring".  WA is much more tax friendly than NC if you want to start comparing cities.  Also, salaries here are significantly higher. 

A follow up to KJHburg's posting...who cares what excites the senses when  you are out on the streets......

https://www.seattlebusinessmag.com/economy/lack-affordable-housing-homelessness-threaten-downtown-seattle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, KJHburg said:

and housing costs are significantly higher as well.   Boring Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities in the country.  

The poster brought up comparing cities. Taxes in NC is crazy. Again, salaries here are significantly higher.... I make a significant amount more than what I made in NC. Have alot more money with no state taxes taken out. 

• Thanks 1

for example Texas has no income tax but their property taxes are 2-3x what they are in NC cities.  Florida insurance costs are skyhigh.  Washington state no income tax, higher sales tax and property values 200% more than Charlotte's means higher property taxes.  NC has the lowest income taxes of states that charge them in the southeast and our property taxes are moderate to low compared to most of the country.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

for example Texas has no income tax but their property taxes are 2-3x what they are in NC cities.  Florida insurance costs are skyhigh.  Washington state no income tax, higher sales tax and property values 200% more than Charlotte's means higher property taxes.  NC has the lowest income taxes of states that charge them in the southeast and our property taxes are moderate to low compared to most of the country.  

FACTS matter...

I'm saving more here so I don't care what you or other posters say :). I'll stay here...  

image.thumb.png.bcae2af931f021f6522771d0abab4159.png

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I am happy you love Seattle.  

I and many others love Charlotte and many people are moving here too.

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charlotte-nc/seattle-wa/90000

- Median Home Cost is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.

That's what happens when you have the best companies in the world. Again, salaries are significantly higher here. 

Edited by mpretori
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I am happy you love Seattle.  

I and many others love Charlotte and many people are moving here too.

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/charlotte-nc/seattle-wa/90000

Overcast Seattle - On average, there are 152 sunny days per year in Seattle.  Seattle gets some kind of precipitation, on average, 155 days per year.   

image.jpeg.d5f9541e7139e123424060d55e21da9b.jpeg

Sunny Charlotte - On average, there are 218 sunny days per year in Charlotte.  Charlotte gets some kind of precipitation, on average, 105 days per year. 

image.jpeg.acbf326448cee1c58b4d88b7aea6f301.jpeg

Source:  Sperlings Best Places
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, mpretori said:

That's what happens when you have the best companies in the world. Again, salaries are significantly higher here. 

I moved from Metro NYC to NC and I'm glad I did.  I have found that high costs of living  but also higher salaries to be too much for me.  It Always seems like costs of living outstrip wage growth for the working class.  I'm sure Seattle is a great city 2nd to none - but my experience as being a 'refuge' fleeing from high cost areas I'd prefer lower living costs, lower wages but higher quality of life.  If I were forced to move to the West Coast I'd choose either Boise, ID or Salt Lake City, UT due to cost of living. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1