Charlotte area population statistics

3 hours ago, thenewkage95 said:

Even still, according to the stats KJHBurg posted, the counties immediately outside of Mecklenburg are not growing as fast as Mecklenburg. Wake county seems to be growing across the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, thenewkage95 said:

Even still, according to the stats KJHBurg posted, the counties immediately outside of Mecklenburg are not growing as fast as Mecklenburg. Wake county seems to be growing across the board.

But those counties collectively take potential Mecklenburg county residents.

Edited by js4life
  • Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 10:11 AM, thenewkage95 said:

Any clues why Wake is growing so much faster? I love Raleigh and have nothing against it. I used to actually live there, but I don’t think it has the amenities that can be found in Mecklenburg county.

Wake County is geographically larger than Mecklenburg. It’s actually amazing on Mecklenburg’s part that it’s taken this long for Wake to overtake it.

• Like 2

I can’t do the Map Overlay thing but Mooresville, Rock Hill, Indian Trail, Concord, Belmont, etc would be in Mecklenburg County if it were similar in size to Wake County.  Meck would probably have Close to 300,000 more people within its limits currently.  Instead of 1.2 million Mecklenburg would be at 1.5 million people as of Jan 2020.  That’s my estimate

• Like 1

https://www.zillow.com/research/silver-tsunami-inventory-boomers-24933/?utm_content=bufferbf683&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer&fbclid=IwAR12ZYjmuAqVRnPOrL1IbDDQmAu_3JFISIccvlqBPqyRI2XRyyYi03uG5Kc

Zillow predicts the turnover of housing based on current age of owners. Charlotte in the lower echelon. High turnover is sunny retirement locales (influx of retirees) and waning cities, both in North and South (exodus of young.)

25 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

https://www.zillow.com/research/silver-tsunami-inventory-boomers-24933/?utm_content=bufferbf683&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer&fbclid=IwAR12ZYjmuAqVRnPOrL1IbDDQmAu_3JFISIccvlqBPqyRI2XRyyYi03uG5Kc

Zillow predicts the turnover of housing based on current age of owners. Charlotte in the lower echelon. High turnover is sunny retirement locales (influx of retirees) and waning cities, both in North and South (exodus of young.)

Those sunny boomer retirement cities in Arizona and Florida, especially the ones that were built with a ton of age-restricted neighborhoods, are going to get absolutely crushed when the boomers start to die off. Homes in those places are going to be selling for pennies on the dollar because young people don't want to move there and in the case of the age-restricted communities there aren't enough over-55 buyers coming up to buy from all the sellers. It's gonna be a bloodbath.

8 hours ago, thenewkage95 said:

Can you elaborate please?

Hmm I should've quoted whatever I was replying to at the time, I don't think it was you specifically but rather a more general hypothetical of when the higher costs of living creep into Charlotte (taxes, rents, and everything else) which is pretty much inevitable given the continued growth of the city, there are fewer arguments that keep Charlotte as an appealing contender amongst peer cities. Especially for the large number of those who chose to move here from somewhere else and don't necessarily have any connection to Charlotte (hometown/family/nostalgia). Entirely personal preference of course, but the endless fawning of how great Charlotte is is humorous to me because it largely revolves around the "cost benefits" of living here. 

• Like 3

well this is interesting NYC is sending its homeless packing literally all over the country including to Charlotte, and all over the Carolinas.  That is no way to solve your city's problems.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article237828829.html

Over 12,000 homeless people in NYC have been shipped across the USA including to H'awaii

https://nypost.com/2019/10/26/nyc-homeless-initiative-sends-people-across-us-without-telling-receiving-cities/

Some mayors may now sue NYC. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

NC's population growth is concentrated in about 15 counties as we all know.  25% of the state population lives in just 3 counties Meck, Wake and Guilford.   If you looked at map of any adjoining state you would see the same thing.  

Good summary and shows growth in various areas of the state the most lagging counties are down east in eastern NC.  Some of the far northeastern counties are starting to grow as overflow and cheaper housing than the Norfolk VA Beach and Chesapeake metros to the north especially in Currituck and Camden counties lifting these counties.  Little Clay county is SW NC is growing too with retirees from Atlanta.  I have been to all 100 counties and that is why manufacturing being spread across the state is a good thing.  It is good to see most of western NC growing which has not always been the case.  Wake County has probably already passed NC and I will make a bold prediction it will be the first and only county in the state to have 2 Million people in the future.  and Wake county has so much land available even excluding large state holdings including WB Umstead State Park and extensive NC State holdings of forest and farm lands. 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article237501534.html

• Like 2

I think both Wake and Mecklenburg Counties will both have 2 Million plus populations if significant Metro Area growth continues for the next 17 to 20 years.  

Meck Population will likely be around 1.2 million at the time the 2020 Census is released.  Gaining that next 800k will take a lot of time but I believe it will happen.  Space will be at a premium - heck it already is in Meck.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 3

I do believe Meck will continue to grow but we are running out of room.  Wake is 50% bigger and has lots of land left.  It is densifying as quick as Charlotte Meck is too.  They are building a 35 story apartment tower in North Mills outside of downtown Raleigh.  They have lots of old tobacco fields yet to be developed too. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

County GDP, various figures:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019-us-gdp-concentration-counties/

https://www.bea.gov/system/files/2019-12/lagdp1219.pdf

Meck is 35% greater than Wake by Census tables GDP. Wake + Durham passes Meck. Counties around those three add much smaller amounts to totals. The big  ones are truly large.

• Like 2