Charlotte area population statistics

21 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

https://metricmaps.org/2018/11/16/distance-km-to-2-million-us-population-from-nfl-stadium/

This could be in the Panthers thread also. Smaller circle equals more dense population. 

Also compare to density for NFL cities with MLB for arguing points

Very cool. Interesting how tight Denver’s radius is but then if you expand it another 500 miles the population number barely moves. 

Charlotte looks about where I’d expect it. The only smaller MSA with a tighter radius is Cleveland (and Cleveland’s CSA is larger than a Charlotte so that makes sense). 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 3

That is not MSA. It is from American Community Survey from Census Bureau and is a strict radius of population ignoring MSA and CSA factors. Thus smaller radius is more dense. Coastal and lakeside cities tend to spread more and radius is deceiving for them compared to inland (Charlotte). Inland is compact, generally. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

That is not MSA. It is from American Community Survey from Census Bureau and is a strict radius of population ignoring MSA and CSA factors. Thus smaller radius is more dense. Coastal and lakeside cities tend to spread more and radius is deceiving for them compared to inland (Charlotte). Inland is compact, generally. 

No I understand that it’s not MSA. Just pointing out that for whatever reason, the MSA’s smaller than Charlotte were also less dense/ had bigger radius. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

well this is interesting Hawai'i is losing population to other states and in the top 5 is drum roll please North Carolina.  No wonder L&L Hawaiian Barbecue opened up in Concord.   NC has many more job opportunities and the cost of living is a fraction of that of the Aloha State. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2020/02/18/hawaii-one-of-the-top-10-population-losers.html

other top states that losing the most people are NY to NC, NJ to NC, West Va to NC

https://www.zippia.com/advice/states-americans-dont-want-live-anymore-2020/

Interesting.  Clients of mine have a house on Lake James and their neighbors are moving there from Hawaii full time.  We all thought that was so bizarre but maybe not.... hmmph. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I love Hawaii but would never live there full time unless I was a billionaire.  I know some Hawaiians in this area too.

Hey Kermit they still haven't open the HART train yet but is under construction. Lots of cost overruns.

I know 2 people who have lived in Hawaii. They enjoyed their time there but were happy to come back the continental 48. It’s an isolated place to live, it’s very expensive, there are issues with natives and non-natives (especially important if you want to try and send your kids to public schools),  and it certainly has issues with crime, drugs, and homelessness in many areas.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Both Charlotte and Raleigh are on the top 10 list for fastest growing cities since 2013 

https://www.carinsurancecompanies.com/fastest-growing-cities/

This is the scariest graphic I've seen.  Would rather see growth accelerate and not become Detroit. 

97c0b004-chart1_us-population-growth-ove

Two North Carolina Cities on there is amazing! NC is a powerhouse for sure! 

#10 – Raleigh, NC

• Percent change in population: 8.9%
  • Total population growth (2013 to 2018): 38,196
  • Growth in the college-educated population: 22.4%
  • Fastest-growing age group: Ages 65 to 74
  • Fastest-growing race/ethnicity: Non-Hispanic White

#9 – Mesa, AZ

• Percent change in population: 9.5%
  • Total population growth (2013 to 2018): 43,978
  • Growth in the college-educated population: N/A
  • Fastest-growing age group: Ages 55 to 59
  • Fastest-growing race/ethnicity: N/A

#8 – Atlanta, GA

• Percent change in population: 9.8%
  • Total population growth (2013 to 2018): 44,253
  • Growth in the college-educated population: 25.0%
  • Fastest-growing age group: Ages 55 to 59

#7 – Charlotte, NC

• Percent change in population: 10.1%
  • Total population growth (2013 to 2018): 80,315
  • Growth in the college-educated population: 23.3%
  • Fastest-growing race/ethnicity: Non-Hispanic Asian

#6 – Austin, TX

• Percent change in population: 10.1%
  • Total population growth (2013 to 2018): 88,791
  • Growth in the college-educated population: 33.8%

#5 – Denver, CO

• Percent change in population: 10.3%
  • Total population growth (2013 to 2018): 66,979
  • Growth in the college-educated population: 32.1%
  • Fastest-growing race/ethnicity: Non-Hispanic Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander

#4 – Tampa, FL

• Percent change in population: 11.5%
  • Total population growth (2013 to 2018): 40,464
  • Growth in the college-educated population: 23.0%
  • Fastest-growing age group: Ages 25 to 34
  • Fastest-growing race/ethnicity: Hispanic or Latino

#3 – Miami, FL

• Percent change in population: 12.2%
  • Total population growth (2013 to 2018): 51,085
  • Growth in the college-educated population: 50.5%

#2 – Fort Worth, TX

• Percent change in population: 12.4%
  • Total population growth (2013 to 2018): 98,833
  • Growth in the college-educated population: 22.6%
  • Fastest-growing age group: Ages 60 to 64

#1 – Seattle, WA

• Percent change in population: 13.9%
  • Total population growth (2013 to 2018): 90,731
  • Growth in the college-educated population: 25.8%

https://www.carinsurancecompanies.com/fastest-growing-cities/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Census provided updated population estimates for Metropolitan Statistical Areas yesterday.

The Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia Metropolitan Statistical Area numbered 2,636,883 denizens as of July 1, 2019, the new population figures show. Its annual numeric increase of 43,933 from July 1, 2018, which equates to an average of about 120 new people each day, was seventh-highest of the nation’s 384 metro areas. Percentage-wise, the metro’s population growth ranked 38th.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/03/26/charlotte-metros-population-keeps-climbing-new.html

It’ll be interesting to see how this pandemic affects the numbers for next year’s release.  Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix and Austin are just killin it!  Charleston seems to be accelerating fast as well relatively speaking.  It surpassed Columbia’s city population and looks like it will surpass in metro numbers soon also.  Overall I am very happy with Charlotte’s growth.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone feel like all this Coronavirus Stuff is going to cause a major slowdown in population growth of Charlotte and this Region in general in the next few years as people rethink living in Cities?

I still run into conversations atTarget about people who have moved here recently during the pandemic: Detroit, New Jersey, Rochester etc.  it’s insane 

3 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone feel like all this Coronavirus Stuff is going to cause a major slowdown in population growth of Charlotte and this Region in general in the next few years as people rethink living in Cities?

No not really I  think even more are coming out of densely populated northeastern cities such as NYC and Boston.  They may end up in the inner suburbs, outer suburbs or even in the exurbs but they will still come.  I think even small towns within 50 miles of major cities will grow as telecommuting grows in use.  

• Like 3