Charlotte area population statistics

I think it is a NC strength not to have one large state dominating metro area like Atlanta and Georgia.  as for attracted educated Raleigh Durham  together separately are some of the most educated metros in the country.  Yes CA and NY may have the super rich billionaires that skew the average per capita income upward but we have a lower cost of living than any of those high income states ANY of them we are less expensive NY NJ CT.     Charlotte in attracting a Fortune 100 company shows we can compete with the 6 million metro population of the sprawling city of Atlanta. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Phillydog said:

50 Biggest Combined Metros 2019, with single MSAs included.

NC - 3

TN - 2

VA - 1

SC - 1

GA - 1

(Nashville, TN CSA was bigger than Raleigh-Durham CSA in 2010.  Raleigh-Durham is growing faster;

Only California, Texas, and Florida have more in the Top 50.  Ohio is tied with North Carolina).

.New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA

NY-NJ-CT-PA

.Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA CSA

CA

.Chicago-Naperville, IL-IN-WI CSA

IL-IN-WI

.Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA CSA

DC-MD-VA-WV-PA

.San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA

CA

.Boston-Worcester-Providence, MA-RI-NH-CT CSA

MA-RI-NH-CT

.Dallas-Fort Worth, TX-OK CSA

TX-OK

.Houston-The Woodlands, TX CSA

TX

.Philadelphia-Reading-Camden, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA

PA-NJ-DE-MD

.Miami-Port St. Lucie-Fort Lauderdale, FL CSA

FL

.Atlanta--Athens-Clarke County--Sandy Springs, GA-AL CSA

GA-AL

.Detroit-Warren-Ann Arbor, MI CSA

MI

.Phoenix-Mesa, AZ CSA

AZ

.Seattle-Tacoma, WA CSA

WA

.Orlando-Lakeland-Deltona, FL CSA

FL

.Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI Metro Area

MN-WI

.Cleveland-Akron-Canton, OH CSA

OH

.San Diego-Chula Vista-Carlsbad, CA Metro Area

CA

.Portland-Vancouver-Salem, OR-WA CSA

OR-WA

.Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL Metro Area

FL

.St. Louis-St. Charles-Farmington, MO-IL CSA

MO-IL

.Charlotte-Concord, NC-SC CSA

NC-SC

.Salt Lake City-Provo-Orem, UT CSA

UT

.Sacramento-Roseville, CA CSA

CA

.Pittsburgh-New Castle-Weirton, PA-OH-WV CSA

PA-OH-WV

.San Antonio-New Braunfels-Pearsall, TX CSA

TX

.Columbus-Marion-Zanesville, OH CSA

OH

.Kansas City-Overland Park-Kansas City, MO-KS CSA

MO-KS

.Indianapolis-Carmel-Muncie, IN CSA

IN

.Las Vegas-Henderson, NV CSA

NV

.Cincinnati-Wilmington-Maysville, OH-KY-IN CSA

OH-KY-IN

.Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown, TX Metro Area

TX

.Raleigh-Durham-Cary, NC CSA

NC

.Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro, TN CSA

TN

.Milwaukee-Racine-Waukesha, WI CSA

WI

.Virginia Beach-Norfolk, VA-NC CSA

VA-NC

.Greensboro--Winston-Salem--High Point, NC CSA

NC

.Jacksonville-St. Marys-Palatka, FL-GA CSA

FL-GA

.Providence-Warwick, RI-MA Metro Area

RI-MA

.New Orleans-Metairie-Hammond, LA-MS CSA

LA-MS

.Louisville/Jefferson County--Elizabethtown, KY-IN CSA

KY-IN

.Oklahoma City-Shawnee, OK CSA

OK

.Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, SC CSA

SC

.Hartford-East Hartford, CT CSA

CT

.Grand Rapids-Kentwood-Muskegon, MI CSA

MI

.Memphis-Forrest City, TN-MS-AR CSA

TN-MS-AR

.Birmingham-Hoover-Talladega, AL CSA

AL

.Fresno-Madera-Hanford, CA CSA

CA

So, I'm a little confused at the differentiating line in two of the CSA's that are mentioned here, just due to overlap.  Washington-Baltimore-Arlington has DC-MD-VA-WV-PA as part of the overall CSA, then you have Philadelphia-Reading-Camden PA-NJ-DE-MD as their CSA.  Outside of the obvious large cities, how are MD & PA segregated out here?  Geographically, I'm still trying to see where the panhandle of MD is spliced up, and for example, where do Harrisburg and Lancaster fall?  And to put another caveat, what parts of WVA fall under the DC region that would not fall under the Pittsburgh-New Castle-Weirton CSA?  I get Wheeling and Morgantown - possibly put there.  Normally, I'm pretty good with figuring this out and with geography in general, but this one has me puzzled.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I think it is a NC strength not to have one large state dominating metro area like Atlanta and Georgia.  as for attracted educated Raleigh Durham  together separately are some of the most educated metros in the country.  Yes CA and NY may have the super rich billionaires that skew the average per capita income upward but we have a lower cost of living than any of those high income states ANY of them we are less expensive NY NJ CT.     Charlotte in attracting a Fortune 100 company shows we can compete with the 6 million metro population of the sprawling city of Atlanta. 

Here are a couple of maps showing the geographic distribution of North Carolina's population. 

The urban crescent running from the Raleigh-Durham-Cary metro to the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia metro is prominent.

The persistent “rurality” of North Carolina | Carolina Demography

US North Carolina Map County population density - Maps4Office

Links:  

(1)  https://www.ncdemography.org/

(2)  https://www.maps4office.com/us-north-carolina-map-county-population-density/

(3)  https://www.cpc.unc.edu/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JRNYP2C said:

So, I'm a little confused at the differentiating line in two of the CSA's that are mentioned here, just due to overlap.  Washington-Baltimore-Arlington has DC-MD-VA-WV-PA as part of the overall CSA, then you have Philadelphia-Reading-Camden PA-NJ-DE-MD as their CSA.  Outside of the obvious large cities, how are MD & PA segregated out here?  Geographically, I'm still trying to see where the panhandle of MD is spliced up, and for example, where do Harrisburg and Lancaster fall?  And to put another caveat, what parts of WVA fall under the DC region that would not fall under the Pittsburgh-New Castle-Weirton CSA?  I get Wheeling and Morgantown - possibly put there.  Normally, I'm pretty good with figuring this out and with geography in general, but this one has me puzzled.

So MSAs are defined as collections of counties that are connected to an adjacent urban core through the flow of commuters (this is a simplified definition). CSAs (as I understand them, I might be wrong) are collections of MSA# (and micropolitan areas) which are connected by the flow of commuters (but not necessarily connected to an urban core in the other metro) — I believe the threshold is that 15% of the workforce commutes into the other MSA.

CSAs can get really big because they can be chained together. For example, if 15% of Hagerstown commutes to Fredrick MD to work then it would be considered part of the Washington CSA even without sending any workers into the DC urban core of the metro. At the same time, if Easton MD (Its a micro) sent 15% of its workers to Anne Arundel then it would be part of the DC CSA as well. I am not sure how OMB handles situations where small metros or micros send more than 15% to multiple larger MSAs. 

We could have a single CSA spanning from Charlotte to Raleigh, pretty easily, but all three of those MSAs are large enough that the 15% figure can be difficult to reach (roughly 250,000 Greensboro-HP-WS folks would need to commute to somewhere in the Charlotte MSA for them to consolidate). [now that I have typed that I am not sure if the 15% figure is of total pop or just of the workforce]

I have been pretty aggressive about ignoring CSAs all my career so its possible I am wrong about all of this. 

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, DH17 said:

I really like the concept of these maps, but wow, they really got Forsyth and Guilford counties wrong. Looks like they are off by a decimal in the raw data (36K vs 360K and 50K vs 500K).

They made the Triad disappear!

Good catch. Guilford is nearly twice the size of Durham and Forsyth is nearly 50% bigger than Durham.

Both maps look like they are actually population growth. Maps need legends! (And the anamorphic “chart” isnt really a “map”)

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kermit said:

Makes me wonder if it is a mislabeled growth map.

In the parlance of the young people, map is trash. Iredell appears to be bigger than Gaston+Lincoln+Catawba combined. Lumberton is now apparently bigger than the Triad. Asheville is now 4x the size of Morganton.

/An attempt was made

4 hours ago, DH17 said:

I really like the concept of these maps, but wow, they really got Forsyth and Guilford counties wrong. Looks like they are off by a decimal in the raw data (36K vs 360K and 50K vs 500K).

They made the Triad disappear!

Hilariously, I could tell something was wrong from the opposite direction - I was like there's no way Randolph is that much bigger!

In speaking of CMSA consolidated metro statistical areas is the Raleigh Durham area which is 2 separate metros despite RTP being mainly in Durham County and many of their workers live in Wake County the other metro area.    When people talk about Nashville and its size just remember Raleigh Durham Cary is bigger if you put the 2 MSAs together.    My friends who live  in north Raleigh work in Durham County part of RTP go to the DPAC and dinner in downtown Durham and shop primarily in Wake County where they live.   I-540 traffic is heaviest in the morning heading to the RTP mainly to Durham county side.   However many that work at Duke and Duke Medical live in Durham, Chatham, Granville or even Alamance counties.  Morrisville and north Cary along I-40 attract commuters from all over the CMSA for their jobs.    I wonder if this will ever go back to one big metro area again?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cadi40 said:

I decided to do some research and measure cities populations by a constant area in order to provide for a more accurate reading of it's respective size. I measured cities by a 50 mile radius extending outside of their CBD area into the surrounding counties. All of these numbers are based on current population estimates. This data is approximate and there are likely some discrepancies.

Charlotte: 2,254,614

Raleigh: 1,956,959

Atlanta: 4,646,562

Austin: 1,518,867

Nashville: 1,676,899

Miami: 4,525,698

Dallas: 5,457,419

Obviously, for areas like Raleigh, some of the population displayed is actually population from the Triad, however it's still impressive that it's 50 mile radius is larger in population than Austin or Nashville.

Good idea, but it looks like your numbers are a bit low.  Here is a link to a population calculator that will calculate the population (based on 2019 Census estimates) from 25-500 miles away from any city or county in the US:

http://www.statsamerica.org/radius/big.aspx

The 50-mile population around Charlotte is actually a touch over 3 million.  For Raleigh it’s approximately 2.75 million.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Good idea, but it looks like your numbers are a bit low.  Here is a link to a population calculator that will calculate the population (based on 2019 Census estimates) from 25-500 miles away from any city or county in the US:

http://www.statsamerica.org/radius/big.aspx

The 50-mile population around Charlotte is actually a touch over 3 million.  For Raleigh it’s approximately 2.75 million.

Correct, there were a few different websites and the numbers vary from 2.25 - 3.2 for Charlotte. The main takeaway from the data is that Charlotte is more on par with a city like Denver, rather than Nashville or Austin. 

Edited by Cadi40
  • Like 4

another complicated MSA in NC is Wilmington which includes New Hanover and Pender county which is NE but not Brunswick across the river even though there are thousands of homes and commuters into Wilmington.  Census Bureau says southern Brunswick county has more people commuting to the Mytrle Beach metro so it classifies the whole county up to Leland across the river from downtown Wilmington metro Myrtle Beach.

A better way would be zip codes as some counties are huge like Brunswick and commuters can go 2 different directions.   

• Like 4

The triad and the triangle should be considered one metro. It makes no sense for Forsyth/Guilford or Durham/wake to not be part of the same metro considering how many people commute between these counties. 

Also, @cltbwimob, Lee county not being part of Raleigh is absolutely nonsense.

@Cadi40 Orlando includes a good amount of Tampa and also Atlantic coast areas not associated with it. Just goes to show how built up Florida has really become all around.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Do the figures include manufactured housing? All types of manufactured housing?

No that figure is just stick built houses and apartments is usually the way they count it.   Charlotte and Raleigh metro area in the top 20 of new home construction in the country.    Then add in the vacation homes being built in the mountains and the coast.  Wilmington is booming as is Asheville in housing too.  

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 10:10 PM, Cadi40 said:

22) Charlotte: 3,014,487 (Just for fun if you added an extra 25 miles to the radius to increase it to a 75 mile radius, Charlotte would be the 13th largest metro on this list with 4,754,303)

I wish we had better connectivity to the Triad, It is interesting that all of the counties growing fastest in that group with the 75 mile radius is basically the Charlotte MSA.