Charlotte area population statistics

On 5/29/2020 at 12:22 PM, Cadi40 said:

I'm really curious to see what Florida does in the upcoming years in relation to global warming, billions upon billions of dollars worth of investment will literally go down the drain if they don't do anything to combat the rising sea levels.

They will just do what Floridians have always done: find a bigger sucker.

3 hours ago, kermit said:

They will just do what Floridians have always done: find a bigger sucker.

Or more likely do like the Netherlands and build giant dikes and landform-dams to save the lands (most likely if we think of the economics of abandoning entire cities due to rising tide). 

• Like 1

Florida is a Ponzi state. It exists currently due to the ability to lure more people this year than last year for tourism and new residents. The older you are the better so that you die sooner and allow another new resident to arrive. Once the flood of visitors and buyers slows or stops the game collapses.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Or more likely do like the Netherlands and build giant dikes and landform-dams to save the lands (most likely if we think of the economics of abandoning entire cities due to rising tide). 

The big problem in South Florida is you can't wall yourself in, the water percolates from below through the limestone.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/12/21/the-siege-of-miami

16 minutes ago, davidclt said:

The big problem in South Florida is you can't wall yourself in, the water percolates from below through the limestone.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/12/21/the-siege-of-miami

This dude builds floating islands out of old water bottles and mesh onion sacks...

or there is always:

File:Universal Studio (Oct2016) Waterworld (4).JPG - Wikimedia Commons

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

From 16th Annual Demographia World Urban Areas (DWUA - pub. 06/25/2020)  -  Highlights re: Charlotte & Raleigh

Charlotte's Built-up Urban Area

Pop. Est.:  2,075,000

Global Rank:  252 out of 1,055 built-up world urban areas => 500,000

Pop. density:  1,458 per sq, mi.;  563 per sq. km.

Pop. density Rank:  1,052 out of 1,055 built-up world urban areas => 500,000

Land Area Rank:  25th out of 1,055 built-up world urban areas => 500,000 

Raleigh's Built-up Urban Area

Pop. Est.:  1,493,000

Global Rank:  349 out of 1,055 built-up world urban areas => 500,000

Pop. density:  1,745 per sq. mi.;  674 per sq. km.

Pop. density Rank:  1,046 out of 1,055 built-up world urban areas => 500,000

Land Area Rank:  57th out of 1,055 built-up world urban areas => 500,000

Note on methodology:  "DWUA compares the 1,055 identified built-up world urban areas with 500,000 or greater population.   DWUA uses base population figures, derived from official census and estimates data, to develop basic year population estimates within the confines of built-up urban areas.  These figures are then adjusted to account for population change forecasts, principally from the United Nations or the various national statistics bureaus. ...  The preferred source for built-up urban area population and land area is directly provided by national statistical authorities.  However, few nations provide this information.  The best alternative to official built-up urban area from national statistical authorities is now from small area population grids.   A review of the available sources has found the Commission Global Human Settlement (GHS2015) 250 meter database to be appropriate for the purposes of Demographia World Urban Area pop. estimation.  ...  DWUA applies a generally consistent definition to built-up urban areas.   Urban footprint data is reported without regard to political boundaries that are generally associated with metropolitan areas or sub-national jurisdictions.  ...  An urban area is best thought of as the “urban footprint” --- the lighted area (“city lights”) that can be observed from an airplane (or satellite) on a clear night."  Please see the link below for further information regarding methodology as well as graphs.

Link:  http://demographia.com/db-worldua.pdf 

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 4

On 6/28/2020 at 9:14 AM, KJHburg said:

^^^ I  have always thought Raleigh was a higher density than Charlotte.   They have had more townhomes and multifamily units as a part of their market and have had these for a long time.

The fact that Raleigh has a much higher population density than Charlotte does blow my mind but I guess it’s because Raleigh is much more geographically smaller than Charlotte.  The urban feel from Charlotte Center City areas is a lot different than almost anywhere in Raleigh and I’m sure that’ll continue to differentiate rapidly as Development in the Rail Transit Corridors (Blue, Gold, Silver) in CLT continues/develops.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DH17 said:

I wonder what impacts the Coronavirus will have on the 2020 Census. Any thoughts?

the in-person enumeration process has been delayed by around 4 months to (hopefully) reduce risk exposure to census takers during the virus. This has caused cascading delays to the remainder of the process and delivery of the 2020 full enumeration has been delayed from December 31st to April 30, 2021.

This will significantly disrupt the redistricting process which will follow.

https://2020census.gov/en/news-events/operational-adjustments-covid-19.html

There are some accuracy concerns, but no one has begun to examine those yet, since the data collection process remains in flux. The mission of the census has not (and will not) change -- they are expected to conduct a 100% count of the population as of April 30, 2020.

In terms of numbers, Charlotte might see a marginal bump in population (compared to without plague). College students are told to respond based on their residential college address, however, families filling out forms after colleges closed will be more likely to report their college students at their home address. Since Charlotte is an "undergraduate donor city" (e.g. not a college town) I suspect that will add a handful of people to our count. Counteracting this overcount, I doubt Charlotte saw its usual influx of entry-level workers following college graduation this year.

Post and online response rates have been relatively low in NC and Charlotte. If the Census Bureau slacks off on its in-person followup process in NC then our numbers will suffer greatly. (it would not be legal for the CB to 'slack off' but I suspect that some corners will be cut on in-person verification if virus cases continue to rise). 

Tldr: no major changes to our numbers are expected. Release dates will be delayed.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I realize this is for the primary city itself but don't ever take for granted a growing population in any city.  They can and do shrink.  St Louis the HQ city of Centene is the fastest shrinking city in the last 5 years.  Most of these metros are stable, very slowly growing or actually declining too. 

https://advisorsmith.com/data/fastest-growing-and-shrinking-large-cities-in-america/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I realize this is for the primary city itself but don't ever take for granted a growing population in any city.  They can and do shrink.  St Louis the HQ city of Centene is the fastest shrinking city in the last 5 years.  Most of these metros are stable, very slowly growing or actually declining too. 

https://advisorsmith.com/data/fastest-growing-and-shrinking-large-cities-in-america/

Is it inevitable that the city of Charlotte will one day lose population in most of our lifetimes? From what I found online the city has never lost population since at least 1850.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 8:58 AM, KJHburg said:

population growth projections for the region for the next 30 years from Twitter this morning.

I think we'll seriously outpace this. There's no reason to live in places with bad weather, terrible governance, and higher than necessary taxes with remote work.

Edited by joenc
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

from the Triangle Biz Journal

NC CONTINUES TO GROW AT RAPID PACE: The latest Census data is in, and it shows North Carolina among the top five states in terms of total new residents added between 2019 and 2020.

As of July 1 this year, the state's population was estimated to be 10.6 million, an increase of just under 100,000 since July 1, 2019. The 99,400 new residents the state gained was fourth most in the country during that period, trailing just Texas, Florida and Arizona. The state's growth rate was 0.95 percent, behind only South Carolina and Florida in the Southeast.

In 2010, North Carolina's population was 9.5 million, meaning it increased more than 11 percent over the decade.

On the West Coast, California's population fell by 69,000 amid rumblings of a growing business exodus from the high-priced state.But the state still has more than 39 million people, by far the most in the country.

With the 2020 Census now complete, North Carolina could gain a 14th congressional district beginning in 2020, but the Census results won't be official until next year.

Here is the Census link and we are only 100K behind Georgia now and growing faster

July 1, 2020 Estimates of Population and Housing Units (census.gov)

• Like 2

On 12/6/2020 at 9:19 AM, joenc said:

I think we'll seriously outpace this. There's no reason to live in places with bad weather, terrible governance, and higher than necessary taxes with remote work.

Many stay for family, culture, and the intangible feeling of "home." There will always be those seeking new opportunities and venturing away, which led to the settlement of the west, but many people like "home."

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

https://www.atlasvanlines.com/migration-patterns

2020 moving van destinations for Atlas Company. 2020 is a one-off year for many things, maybe migration statistics included. Nonetheless the numbers are congruent with previous years and the rate is the only thing in question. Kentucky, I don't know about that.

• Like 3