Charlotte area population statistics

On 3/25/2021 at 8:56 AM, KJHburg said:

story about where people are relocating from obviously NYC is number one but I have seen so many California tags around here lately.  They used to stop at NV and AZ then Texas but now some are coming all the way east.    and we get people from Miami because of the rising costs of housing there and how crowded it has become. 

New Yorkers flocked to Charlotte amid the pandemic - Axios Charlotte

49 out of 63.  The left side killed me, the right side was pretty easy IMHO.  Cool game!

• Haha 2

Charlotte listed as #9 on this list of "10 Homebuilding Boomtowns" (https://www.constructiondive.com/news/10-homebuilding-boomtowns/597466/). 

Rank City Median list price Number of permits One-year change in permits
1 Dallas $373,267 11,636 23%
2 New York $629,500 9,097 2%
3 Phoenix  $469,500 8,614 9%
4 Washington, D.C. $499,900 5,795 30%
5 Atlanta $377,500 5,721 1%
6 Los Angeles $1,184,500 5,306 7%
7 Seattle $672,386 5,169 38%
8 Philadelphia $329,900 4,653 52%
9 Charlotte, North Carolina $386,450 4,359 11%
10 Tampa, Florida $305,000 4,251 24%
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

When do we get the official results of the 2020 census? Will we still get estimates for 2020 as well? I’m curious to see if Charlotte cracks 900k people for the new decade. 

That’s exactly what I’ve been curious to know also.  I think it should be some time this month 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

When do we get the official results of the 2020 census? Will we still get estimates for 2020 as well? I’m curious to see if Charlotte cracks 900k people for the new decade. 

I believe all hands at the Census are working on the redistricting data, that release has been pushed back to September 30. They will release data for all states at once. I don't _think_ they plan to release more coarse data before that.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2021/statement-redistricting-data-timeline.html

2 hours ago, Third Strike said:

2 hours ago, Temeteron said:

That’s exactly what I’ve been curious to know also.  I think it should be some time this month 

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the Vintage 2020 population estimates will be released on a rolling basis.  

The dates (which are subject to change) of the next releases are as follows:

1.  National and State population:   May 4, 2021  (data as of 7/1/2020)

2.  County population:   May 4, 2021  (data as of 7/1/2020)

3.  Metropolitan and micropolitan statistical area population:   May 4, 2021  (data as of 7/1/2020)

4.  City and town (incorporated place and minor civil division) population:   May 27, 2021 (data as of 7/1/2020) 

N.B.:  The Vintage 2021 population estimates are scheduled for release on a flow basis beginning in December 2021.

The Vintage 2021 series will incorporate the results of the 2020 Census. 

Link:  https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/popest/about/schedule.html

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, QCxpat said:

This series will incorporate the results of the 2020 Census. 

Link:  https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/popest/about/schedule.html

??? Which series?

From the link above:

The Vintage 2020 estimates will be released on a rolling basis from December 2020 to June 2021, as indicated in the table below. These estimates are based on the 2010 Census and are created without incorporation or consideration of the 2020 Census results. They are regarded as a “research series” rather than official estimates as they are used largely for evaluative purposes. For example, the Vintage 2020 estimates may be used in comparisons with the 2020 Census to make determinations about the accuracy of the estimates. Differences between the estimates and Census counts are typically interpreted as error in the estimates and are used to inform research and methodological improvements over the decade.

follow up I did talk to my friend at the US Census Bureau and he said he did not know when it would come out as he said when the administration changed it delayed everything again.  He is currently managing some people who are shredding a bunch of follow up letters and so forth with the old US Census Bureau's chief's name on it LOL.  He said he has never seen so much waste as he worked in private sector his whole life.  

something like this and this is not a joke sadly. 

Cantor-Paper-Shredder1.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 3/31/2021 at 8:57 PM, KJHburg said:

follow up I did talk to my friend at the US Census Bureau and he said he did not know when it would come out as he said when the administration changed it delayed everything again.  He is currently managing some people who are shredding a bunch of follow up letters and so forth with the old US Census Bureau's chief's name on it LOL.  He said he has never seen so much waste as he worked in private sector his whole life.  

something like this and this is not a joke sadly. 

I've seen the insane amount of waste produced when a private company rebrands, sounds like the same thing. Pallets of branded paperwork, pens, clothing, etc - all trashed

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Statewide growth was about 10% lower than projected. We will need to wait until September to find out why growth was slower in NC (more rural decline or slower urban growth?).

This was the second slowest growing census period ever (the Great Depression was the only slower period of growth). Seems like shutting off the immigration taps from 2017-2020 would do that. (the rate of natural increase continues to decline nationwide).

• Thanks 1

The U.S. Census Bureau released 2020 census apportionment results today.  The apportionment population consists of the resident population of the 50 states, plus the overseas military and federal civilian employees and their dependents living with them who could be allocated to a home state.   At the conclusion of each decennial census, the apportionment results are used to calculate the number of seats in the U.S. House of Representatives to which each state is entitled.  The reapportioned Congress will be the 118th, which convenes in January 2023.

As of April 1, 2020, the apportionment population of North Carolina was 10,453,948.  North Carolina gained one seat based on the 2020 census results, and N.C. will be entitled to 14 seats in the U.S. House of Representatives. 

Below are links to Tables showing the U.S. Census Bureau's 2020 apportionment population and the number of representatives for all 50 states.

Link:   https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2020/dec/2020-apportionment-data.html

https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/decennial/2020/data/apportionment/apportionment-2020-table01.pdf

• Like 2

So 5 new representatives and electoral votes for state's with the GOP controlling the state legislature (TX, NC, FL, MT). 2 for states where the DEM control drawing boundaries (CO and OR). 

Loss of 3 representatives in states DEM control legislature (CA, IL, NY) vs. a loss in  4 states controlled by GOP legislatures (OH, MI, PA, WV). 

Likely to shake out with roughly 1 extra GOP controlled district nationwide.

Just now, CLT2014 said:

So 5 new representatives and electoral votes for states with the GOP controlling the state legislature (TX, NC, FL, MT). 2 for states where the DEM control drawing boundaries (CO and OR). 

Loss of 3 representatives in states DEM control legislature (CA, IL, NY) vs. a loss in  4 states controlled by GOP legislatures (OH, MI, PA, WV). 

Likely to shake out with roughly 1 extra GOP controlled district nationwide.

• Like 1

North Carolina's growth has slowed in both percentage and numbers this last decade compared to the last century. Anyone have any guesses as what exactly might be influencing this? An article I read suggested slower birth rates and less in-migration. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

North Carolina's growth has slowed in both percentage and numbers this last decade compared to the last century. Anyone have any guesses as what exactly might be influencing this? An article I read suggested slower birth rates and less in-migration. 

The last century is completely different compared to today in the whole country. In the 20th century you had massive in-migration from overseas AND a very high fertility rate from people already here. In 1960 the fertility rate was 3.58 children per woman. Fast forward to 2020 and it is 1.78 per woman. We are below replacement level and as the Baby Boomers die off, we aren't having enough babies to replace them. For places like North Carolina, we are still managing to grow from in-migration from the other states that are stagnant (like Ohio, upstate NY, PA, Michigan, et.) but you can only fight fertility and death so long. The only thing the government can control is incentivizing having more children or encouraging more immigration from international countries to offset stagnant internal growth.  We haven't really increased international immigration though, especially under the Trump admin. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2