Charlotte area population statistics

Couple of interesting tidbits too: 

• Fayetteville CSA is at 859,000
    • This includes Sanford and Lumberton
    • Fayetteville is a sleeping giant thanks in large part to the military presence
    • I expect Pinehurst to be added soon too
  • Greenville, NC CSA hovering below 300,000
  • Asheville is hovering below 600,000

Here's the link to the CSA numbers. 

Edited by Rufus
  • Like 2

from the Triangle Biz Journal but did not see this info in the above posts about the growth rates:

""RALEIGH CHASING AUSTIN FOR FASTEST GROWTH: The City of Oaks and Austin, Texas, have more in common than just Apple.

New Census numbers show the two metros remain among the fastest-growing major metro regions in the country.

Figures released Tuesday by the U.S. Census Bureau show the Raleigh-Cary metro grew at a rate of just over 2 percent between 2019 and 2020, trailing only Phoenix and Austin as the country's fastest-growing metro regions with at least 1 million. The Vintage 2020 Population estimates, a continuation of data trends from the 2010 Census, shows Austin grew at a rate of just over 3 percent, making it once again the country's fastest-growing metro year-over-year.

The Raleigh-Cary region had a population estimate of slightly more than 1.42 million as of July 1, 2020. That's up from 1.13 million in 2010, a staggering 25.6 percent increase. But for Austin, where Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) started building its campus in 2019, the growth rate for the decade was 34 percent. The metro had 2.29 million people as of last summer.

Meanwhile, Charlotte was fifth on the list with a year-over-year growth rate of 1.67 percent, behind Las Vegas at 1.76 percent. Phoenix was at 2.1 percent.""

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Phillydog said:

"Wilmington                 301,284  (Brunswick County is part of the Myrtle Beach, not Wilmington, MSA)"  --

This.  Is BS.  More people are commuting to MB than Wilmington from Brunswick?  Brunswick is economically more integrated with MB?  This is political.  I have never heard argument for this change (in the 2010 Census) that has ever made any sense.  It has to have been a political decision.  

So just to clarify: this is an estimate for the existing MSA/CSA from the 2010 Census. 

I hope that Brunswick is returned to Wilmington MSA in the 2020 Census, but we won't know that for a few months. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, dencity said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Charlotte's population has reached 900,350 according to census estimates for July 1, 2020.  I'm really happy for the city to break this milestone :)

Looks like we are only 3,000 people behind Columbus, OH. My guess is we will surpass them next year!!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, QCxpat said:

The US Census Bureau has just released its July 1, 2020 population estimates for the approximately 19,500 incorporated municipalities (principally called cities, towns, villages).

Particularly strong population growth over the decade occurred in 14th ranked Columbus (113,000), 15th ranked Charlotte (162,000), 18th ranked Seattle (159,000), 19th ranked Denver (133,000) and 20th ranked Washington (108,000).

The largest percentage gain among the top 50 was in Seattle (26.0%), followed by Fort Worth (24.0%), Austin (23.0%), Denver (22.0%), and Charlotte (21.9%).

Over the decade, six of the top 50 municipalities lost population, while 14 lost population in 2019-2020.  All of the three largest municipalities, New York, Los Angeles and Chicago, lost population from 2019 to 2020.  

Reflecting the impact of the Covid pandemic, US Postal Service change of address data indicates the strongest out-migration in the cities of New York and San Francisco.  These are the densest municipalities in the top 50.

50-largest-us-cities-2020-chart.png

Where is that link? Can’t seem to find it now 

^^^  thanks for the list  and too bad we could not find 1500 more people for Cary and Concord that would have brought them to to 175,000 and 100,000 respectively. 

Interesting that 4 of the 7 largest cities in SC are Charleston metro area. 

and look at Huntersville  and GasHouse aka Gastonia is up to 77,640 if I am looking at that spreadsheet right bigger than Rock Hill but barely. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

why was Charleston SC not on that list?  Maybe I missed it but it should be. 

Maybe it is because it is not a CSA but shouldn't be on the list regardless since it is population is over 800,000.  

always said Raleigh Durham  Cary is bigger than Nashville!  I wish that was one MSA again like it was in the past and same with Greensboro Winston Salem. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, atlrvr said:

A feature about CSA's that I don't like is if it doesn't have any additional counties that aren't part of the MSA the Census just omits it (it's not considered a CSA) i.e. Charleston.

I was looking for Tampa and was wondering why I wasn't finding it.....that explains it.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2021 at 6:47 AM, QCxpat said:

The US Census Bureau has just released its July 1, 2020 population estimates for the approximately 19,500 incorporated municipalities (principally called cities, towns, villages).

Particularly strong population growth over the decade occurred in 14th ranked Columbus (113,000), 15th ranked Charlotte (162,000), 18th ranked Seattle (159,000), 19th ranked Denver (133,000) and 20th ranked Washington (108,000).

The largest percentage gain among the top 50 was in Seattle (26.0%), followed by Fort Worth (24.0%), Austin (23.0%), Denver (22.0%), and Charlotte (21.9%).

Over the decade, six of the top 50 municipalities lost population, while 14 lost population in 2019-2020.  All of the three largest municipalities, New York, Los Angeles and Chicago, lost population from 2019 to 2020.  

Reflecting the impact of the Covid pandemic, US Postal Service change of address data indicates the strongest out-migration in the cities of New York and San Francisco.  These are the densest municipalities in the top 50.

50-largest-us-cities-2020-chart.png

Again, not to be a downer, but these are the annual estimates, which are likely overcounted. I would suspect the population loss in NYC, LA, and San Jose are actually quite minimal. Another interesting tidbit is that these estimates say Raleigh added almost 0% in new population 2019-2020. I find that a bit suspect, and expect that number to higher than it actually is. 

Very intrigued to see how these stack up with the official census numbers later this year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rufus said:

Again, not to be a downer, but these are the annual estimates, which are likely overcounted. I would suspect the population loss in NYC, LA, and San Jose are actually quite minimal. Another interesting tidbit is that these estimates say Raleigh added almost 0% in new population 2019-2020. I find that a bit suspect, and expect that number to higher than it actually is. 

Very intrigued to see how these stack up with the official census numbers later this year. 

Same with the Nashville numbers. 

3 hours ago, Rufus said:

well I don't know.  The state of California did its own estimates and showed a population loss of every Bay area county except for Contra Costa county loss population including population loss in the all the core counties.  Not sure about Raleigh but most of their growth is in the suburbs Cary, Apex, Holly Springs etc but I would have thought the city had grown.  But I do think the Census bureau is right about California as the state agrees. 

Map: California counties' population change, 2020 to 2021 (mercurynews.com)

San Francisco Lost 15,000 Residents In 2020; California Records First Dip In Population Since Statehood (sfist.com)

People are moving out of very expensive areas especially when many tech companies said work from home is available indefinitely 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 11:17 AM, KJHburg said:

NC Demography report about where new NC residents are coming from and no NY is not #1 but is in the top 5 states.  And California is #6 biggest source of new residents.  

Where are North Carolina’s newest residents moving from? | Carolina Demography (ncdemography.org)

I’d like to see what percentage of those Florida migrants are New York “half backs”.  

• Like 2