Charlotte area population statistics

^ nah. The Census released its 2019 annual estimates earlier this year, I believe the nimber above is projected 2021 population from that estimate. The Census enumeration should be released in a few weeks. Generally enumeration figures have been lower than the estimates this year but YMMV. Also keep in mind that the enumeration figures measure the pop on April 2020, not 2021. 

This image is from the Census.gov site this morning for Charlotte population.

566304C6-BF7A-4A13-8394-FC0DAA26A77B.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2021 at 11:45 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Wholly cow - so is this the Census Bureau final estimate/count for Charlotte?  Not sure bc you can’t believe everything you find on a google search, lol.

5DCA3083-2623-411F-9B61-629919D4FEA6.jpeg

"The cities couldn't be more different in density"?  Seriously?  3000 vs. 3500?  

Also, look at the MSA's -- those densities couldn't be more different.  The Atlanta, GA MSA density is 708; the Charlotte MSA is 889.  I guess, according to the person who replied would have to say that Charlotte's MSA density is much higher and the MSA's couldn't be more different, i.e. the Atlanta, GA MSA is sprawl central.  (PS  the CSA is even more dismal for Atlanta, GA).  Just saying...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Bruco72 said:

Having grown up in northern wisconsin and knowing a good number of yoopers, most seem to think of themselves more as Wisconsinites anyway! 

I would disagree, but I come from a family of yooper Packers fans!

In all seriousness, I'm interested to see how different the actual "official" 2020 numbers are vs. the 2020 census estimate.  Hopefully we stay above 900K!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

5 Fastest growing counties in NC  

More NC-specific news! Fastest-growing counties (surprise #1): Johnston: 27.9% Brunswick: 27.2% Cabarrus: 26.8% Wake: 25.4% Durham: 21.4%

(metro areas for the 5   Raleigh, Wilmington, Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham

I’m surprised Atlanta is not on the 100k+ group. Strange 

2 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

I’m surprised Atlanta is not on the 100k+ group. Strange 

I dont think the city of Atlanta has grown by 100K it has grown but not that much.  Of course the metro area has grown many times that and this was just city populations. 

• Like 1

While Charlotte and Raleigh exploded, check out how many NC counties lost population over the decade. This is a massive hollowing out.

Compare our rate of rural decline to the Pacific Northwest.

69EBAAD4-1A36-4212-BFCA-FBDFCF33FB9A.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^ actually 51 NC counties lost population in the last decade.

here is a recap article from NC Demography

First look at 2020 Census for North Carolina | Carolina Demography (ncdemography.org)

Cabarrus is actually the fastest growing county in the Charlotte metro area in NC at least.  Union County has always taking that trophy going back at least into the 1990s!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rancenc said:

Cabarrus is actually the fastest growing county in the Charlotte metro area in NC at least.  Union County has always taking that trophy going back at least into the 1990s!

I thought Meck outgrew Union 2000-2010? It certainly did for a large portion of that period if not the full decade.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^ actually 51 NC counties lost population in the last decade.

here is a recap article from NC Demography

First look at 2020 Census for North Carolina | Carolina Demography (ncdemography.org)

I was inspired to learn more about Tyrrell county, and the first line on the county website describes them as "...nature's buffer zone...", which I think might go a long way toward describing how they've lost 25% of their population in a decade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kermit said:

I thought Meck outgrew Union 2000-2010? It certainly did for a large portion of that period if not the full decade.

You might be correct on that aspect.  I know Union had been on growth trajectory for many years.  It still maintains a high desirability for relocation to the Charlotte metro area albeit at a slower rate.  At one time, York County in SC was that state's big population gainer.  I have not seen any recent figures for the Palmetto state though.

• Like 1

They have updated this article with a chart on all 100 county populations and Union County grew 18% in the last decade.  Maybe somebody could put a chart of the metro counties for us.

1 minute ago, CltFlyer said:

^^^^ to add to my post above.  

Many of the people who move aren't leaving the state however, they like NC, but stay in the Raleigh/Charlotte areas as opposed to moving back.  Which the map would seem to indicate.  

This has been going on for years and years in NC.  Most of my undergraduate college friends at ECU  were from small towns and non metro counties and now most still live in NC either in Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham.  

• Like 4