Jump to content

Charlotte area population statistics


Recommended Posts

On 9/1/2021 at 7:12 PM, Temeteron said:

I never understood why Atlanta’s density is so low. 

All of the Piedmont and similar Piedmont-adjacent metros are low density. A major reason is due to the winding and curvy suburban roads and streets following the lay of the land with its gently rolling hills instead of being laid out on plats which would allow for greater density. Also the city of Atlanta has only begun seriously densifying this century but is primarily doing so in select areas with corridors that have sufficient capacity to accommodate increased density, and it remains to be seen if zoning changes in low density SFH neighborhoods will allow for a variety of other housing types that will help increase density. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

another reason especially in NC cities and their density like Charlotte include many suburbs.  I would like to see the DC metro area density compared to the Charlotte metro.  Because our state laws allow our cities to grow unlike in VA and most northeastern states it is somewhat of an unfair comparison.   Does the Philadelphia density include their suburbs right adjacent to the city limits? of course not.  I know even with this Charlotte is lower density but the comparison is not apples to apples.  

I can understand to an extent what you mean when you mention Philadelphia, but it should be mentioned that the 1854 Act of Consolidation resulted in the then-two square mile city of Philadelphia consolidating with Philadelphia County. Since that time, the 130 square mile city and county of Philadelphia have been coextensive with each other. So in a way, compared to other historic coastal cities like DC, Baltimore, Boston, and San Francisco; legacy industrial cities like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Cleveland; and even Sunbelt cities like Atlanta and Miami, Philadelphia's density does include its Pennsylvania suburbs. Swaths of northwest and far northeast Philadelphia certainly have more of a suburban character. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Those are some pretty extreme population swings in South Carolina. I wonder what makes NC OBSM think Alexander, Cleveland, and Stanly will see population gains like that? 

 

image.thumb.png.9328c7e9cf9b9c0a97ed8bac8b64f314.png

That report predicts a steady 100 people a day for the next 29 years... Which is a lot. However, when we look at %s our growth percentage would go down every year.... Boom cities like Austin, have seen their percentages grow as they get bigger. We may actually see more like 4.8 million by 2050. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

That report predicts a steady 100 people a day for the next 29 years... Which is a lot. However, when we look at %s our growth percentage would go down every year.... Boom cities like Austin, have seen their percentages grow as they get bigger. We may actually see more like 4.8 million by 2050. 

Right, but when those same counties are coming off of population losses, I just wonder what factors make people believe that will turn around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Right, but when those same counties are coming off of population losses, I just wonder what factors make people believe that will turn around.

It is generally a political no-no to publish negative growth forecasts, regardless what the models say. Having said that, the models may also be predicting ultra-sprawl from Charlotte. That scenario gets state government excited, since sprawl-related transportation improvements are generally doled out as rewards to contributors.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 9/30/2021 at 4:58 PM, tozmervo said:

Those are some pretty extreme population swings in South Carolina. I wonder what makes NC OBSM think Alexander, Cleveland, and Stanly will see population gains like that? 

 

 

Speaking for Cabarrus County. I think 57% is low. My unscientific,  off the wall, gut feeling predicts 81% growth. Cabarrus County will have about 420,000 residents in 2050. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/30/2021 at 4:58 PM, tozmervo said:

Those are some pretty extreme population swings in South Carolina. I wonder what makes NC OBSM think Alexander, Cleveland, and Stanly will see population gains like that? 

 

image.thumb.png.9328c7e9cf9b9c0a97ed8bac8b64f314.png

I know it’s really cheap to get a home in Cleveland and Stanly, so I can see why there might be an uptick in population in the coming years. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting on the fastest growing metro areas and Charlotte and Raleigh both make the top 10.  (numerical gains of people)  Notice where the biggest number of people move to Charlotte metro area from (yes) NEW YORK CITY metro.    Lots of movement between Charlotte and Raleigh. Movement into the Hickory metro I think is really just people moving to SE Catawba County which of course is part of the Hickory metro area from the Lake Norman area.  That part of Catawba county is really growing and so any person moving from Iredell or Lincoln or Meck to there is counted.  

Sun Belt Sees Accelerated Growth from Metro-to-Metro Migration (commercialcafe.com)

Interesting to look at the Texas metro dynamics too lots of intrastate moves but DFW is the biggest draw of the people from the LA metro (no wonder as my trip there is majorly sprawling like LA and has In N Outs LOL) 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 10/22/2021 at 7:01 AM, KJHburg said:

Interesting on the fastest growing metro areas and Charlotte and Raleigh both make the top 10.  (numerical gains of people)  Notice where the biggest number of people move to Charlotte metro area from (yes) NEW YORK CITY metro.    Lots of movement between Charlotte and Raleigh. Movement into the Hickory metro I think is really just people moving to SE Catawba County which of course is part of the Hickory metro area from the Lake Norman area.  That part of Catawba county is really growing and so any person moving from Iredell or Lincoln or Meck to there is counted.  

Sun Belt Sees Accelerated Growth from Metro-to-Metro Migration (commercialcafe.com)

Interesting to look at the Texas metro dynamics too lots of intrastate moves but DFW is the biggest draw of the people from the LA metro (no wonder as my trip there is majorly sprawling like LA and has In N Outs LOL) 

SE Catawba County is apart of the Charlotte urbanized area per the 2010 Census. It's why Hickory MSA is going to merge into Greater Charlotte either 2020 or 2030.  Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton urbanized area is basically already apart of Greater Charlotte now as the Catawba County Economic Development Authority is already calling Hickory, "Charlotte's Great Northwest" .

Edited by kayman
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kayman said:

SE Catawba County is apart of the Charlotte urbanized area per the 2010 Census. It's why Hickory MSA is going to merge into Greater Charlotte either 2020 or 2030.  Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton urbanized area is basically already apart of Greater Charlotte now as the Catawba County Economic Development Authority is already calling Hickory, "Charlotte's Great Northwest" .

with the explosive growth of the SE quadrant of the county close to Lake Norman it should as well as commuters coming down NC 16 and US 321 to Meck and Gaston counties respectively. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While the Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton Metro area being added to the Charlotte MSA would boost our population number, it would drag some core demographics down used to evaluate a region....

Median household income: Hickory MSA is ~$15,000 lower than the current median for Charlotte MSA. Would drag  household income DOWN.
Poverty Rate: Hickory MSA is about 5 points higher in poverty rate. Would pull Charlotte MSA poverty rate UP.
Education: Hickory MSA is 15 points less on % with a Bachelor degree compared to Charlotte. % with a Bachelor degrees would pull Charlotte MSA DOWN.

Essentially adding Hickory would make Charlotte MSA look more populous, but also make it look like incomes are lower, poverty rates are higher, and the population is less educated. These are the types of metrics companies look at to evaluate a region for relocation, how people look at the economic vitality of an area, et... Hickory isn't going to help that.

 

 

Edited by CLT2014
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

While the Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton Metro area being added to the Charlotte MSA would boost our population number, it would drag some core demographics down used to evaluate a region....

Median household income: Hickory MSA is ~$15,000 lower than the current median for Charlotte MSA. Would drag  household income DOWN.
Poverty Rate: Hickory MSA is about 5 points higher in poverty rate. Would pull Charlotte MSA poverty rate UP.
Education: Hickory MSA is 15 points less on % with a Bachelor degree compared to Charlotte. % with a Bachelor degrees would pull Charlotte MSA DOWN.

Essentially adding Hickory would make Charlotte MSA look more populous, but also make it look like incomes are lower, poverty rates are higher, and the population is less educated. These are the types of metrics companies look at to evaluate a region for relocation, how people look at the economic vitality of an area, et... Hickory isn't going to help that.

 

 

Not to mention the obesity rate in hickory.  When I was there a few months ago it seemed like everyone was fat!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2021 at 12:27 PM, CLT2014 said:

While the Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton Metro area being added to the Charlotte MSA would boost our population number, it would drag some core demographics down used to evaluate a region....

Median household income: Hickory MSA is ~$15,000 lower than the current median for Charlotte MSA. Would drag  household income DOWN.
Poverty Rate: Hickory MSA is about 5 points higher in poverty rate. Would pull Charlotte MSA poverty rate UP.
Education: Hickory MSA is 15 points less on % with a Bachelor degree compared to Charlotte. % with a Bachelor degrees would pull Charlotte MSA DOWN.

Essentially adding Hickory would make Charlotte MSA look more populous, but also make it look like incomes are lower, poverty rates are higher, and the population is less educated. These are the types of metrics companies look at to evaluate a region for relocation, how people look at the economic vitality of an area, et... Hickory isn't going to help that.

 

 

It is not going to help with those particular metrics. However, they are already basically apart of the region regardless. Also the metrics sent by the Charlotte Regional Business Alliance (CRBA) already includes most of the Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton MSA now (Catawba and Alexander counties) and Alexander is the least populated, least educated, and highest rate of obesity of the 4 counties.  In other words, it really doesn't matter since they are basically included now with with the CRBA and Charlotte demographic market area (DMA) stats and the major corporations are still coming here because of the CLT Airport, existing F500 corporations here, fintech, tech sectors in general, demographics in the core counties (Mecklenburg, Cabarrus, Union, Iredell, Gaston, and Union), fast growing black professional and entrepreneur population, rapidly growing Latin/Hispanic and Asian populations, young professionals (Millennials and Gen Z), and UNC-Charlotte.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A random lady I spoke with on the checkout line asked about Charlotte (where I live) and if it had grown to over 1 Million People.  I said not yet but probably in the next 4 or 5 years at the current rate of growth.  Did i lie to her?  Whats your estimate for when the City Limits Population cracks 1 Million?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

A random lady I spoke with on the checkout line asked about Charlotte (where I live) and if it had grown to over 1 Million People.  I said not yet but probably in the next 4 or 5 years at the current rate of growth.  Did i lie to her?  Whats your estimate for when the City Limits Population cracks 1 Million?

Depends on how optimistic you are, but it's potentially true. We did slow down our rate of growth in the past census, but given COVID issues it's a bit of a ???? until 2030.

image.png.2743ad687a1a6281d731c375a36ce522.png

 

If I had to pick one year only I'd say 2027, but we'll never 100% *truly* know the exact year.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2021 at 6:32 PM, KJHburg said:

From the Charlotte Biz Journal last week the metro's wealthiest zip codes and here we go:  BOLD is outside Meck County 

 

6. 28075 Harrisburg Cabarrus Co.'s most affluent area

 

 

Harrisburg shows no signs of slowing growth or affluence.  Huge new development on Stallings rd, called Harmony, recently put its sign up for homes starting in the 500s. Another large development across from entrance to Harrisburg Elementary doesn't have a sign up, but lately new construction easily begins in the 500-600k range. Harrisburg Village on the Concord side of 49 is seeing townhomes that were in the 300s, selling for 400k+. That development also includes single FH's. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Skyybutter said:

Harrisburg shows no signs of slowing growth or affluence.  Huge new development on Stallings rd, called Harmony, recently put its sign up for homes starting in the 500s. Another large development across from entrance to Harrisburg Elementary doesn't have a sign up, but lately new construction easily begins in the 500-600k range. Harrisburg Village on the Concord side of 49 is seeing townhomes that were in the 300s, selling for 400k+. That development also includes single FH's. 

 

These home prices are getting ridiculous.....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2021 at 6:35 PM, DH17 said:

Depends on how optimistic you are, but it's potentially true. We did slow down our rate of growth in the past census, but given COVID issues it's a bit of a ???? until 2030.

image.png.2743ad687a1a6281d731c375a36ce522.png

 

If I had to pick one year only I'd say 2027, but we'll never 100% *truly* know the exact year.

2025 is likely the year

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.