Charlotte area population statistics

13 hours ago, Bolt said:

Triangle growing faster.  Will continue to.  Triangle ring cities such as Holly Springs, Apex, Fuquay not only are fast growing but have plenty of land left to expand.  Newer suburbs as these pack more people per square mile than the earlier developed Charlotte suburbs.  Just the Raleigh MSA almost added as much people as the Charlotte MSA with  a much smaller base and half the geographic area .  

Huh? 

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/10/1083732104/2020-census-accuracy-undercount-overcount-data-quality

Read what the officials at the US Census said themselves about the 2020 numbers before using as they said themselves are faulty numbers. Two words:  "undercounted minorities" b/c of the Trump administration. 

Stop with the whitesplaining something that the people who are experts are doing this says is even wrong.....

Edited by kayman
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, kayman said:

Huh? 

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/10/1083732104/2020-census-accuracy-undercount-overcount-data-quality

Read what the officials at the US Census said themselves about the 2020 numbers before using as they said themselves are faulty numbers. Two words:  "undercounted minorities" b/c of the Trump administration. 

Stop with the whitesplaining something that the people who are experts are doing this says is even wrong.....

Wouldn't that mean the Raleigh MSA is growing even faster? Undercounted minorities are just a Charlotte thing... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Wouldn't that mean the Raleigh MSA is growing even faster? Undercounted minorities are just a Charlotte thing... 

Not really. The minority groups undercounted are main ones moving to  Metro Charlotte, blacks and Latinos/Hispanics. 

Edited by kayman
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, kayman said:

Huh? 

I’m definitely there with you on there are signs are undercounting but I think a couple more years to see trends or more data will be the only way to truly tell the extent of undercounting - if there is undercounting. 

it’s not fair, some towns are disproportionately impacted and should definitely get some sort of remedy in the meantime. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

I guess what I am saying is, those same groups are moving to Raleigh/Durham, especially Latino. 

There is likely a split (60% Charlotte/40% Triangle) between the two places with Latinos/Hispanics

However, the undercounted number of black Americans in general within the 2020 Census is very obvious nationwide. Many black Americans like myself including personal friends have said that they didn't even receive a Census form like they did in 2010.

Furthermore you and others missed the part where most black North Carolinians are moving to Metro Charlotte such as Mecklenburg, Cabarrus, Gaston, and Union counties. Charlotte was already a draw for those like myself identify ourselves as black Americans but the draw is stronger now than ever even with the pandemic in Charlotte. Which city has a very obvious large and growing black entrepreneurial sector? Charlotte.  I have met several other black newcomers who moved to Charlotte in the past 2 years as well.

As a result, those making these dismissive comments and reactions  when hard private sector evidence like the Penseke relocation link which comes directly from individual consumers' information is proof of willful ignorance and direct attempting to gaslight about this topic.

I will continue to push back against the gaslit bs. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, kayman said:

There is likely a split (60% Charlotte/40% Triangle) between the two places with Latinos/Hispanics

However, the undercounted number of black Americans in general within the 2020 Census is very obvious nationwide. Many black Americans like myself including personal friends have said that they didn't even receive a Census form like they did in 2010.

Furthermore you and others missed the part where most black North Carolinians are moving to Metro Charlotte such as Mecklenburg, Cabarrus, Gaston, and Union counties. Charlotte was already a draw for those like myself identify ourselves as black Americans but the draw is stronger now than ever even with the pandemic in Charlotte. Which city has a very obvious large and growing black entrepreneurial sector? Charlotte.  I have met several other black newcomers who moved to Charlotte in the past 2 years as well.

As a result, those making these dismissive comments and reactions  when hard private sector evidence like the Penseke relocation link which comes directly from individual consumers' information is proof of willful ignorance and direct attempting to gaslight about this topic.

I will continue to push back against the gaslit bs. 

Do you know why Black people are finding Charlotte and its Metro area attractive to live? I remember helping a customer 10 years ago at a former job. This customer was  a Black woman, and she told me she was moving back to Atlanta because Black people are treated better down there. That comment caught be by surprise at the time, but of course I was more blind to the racism that occurs in our society back then. What, in your opinion, has Charlotte approved upon to attract more people of color to live here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Durham is also very popular with black residents relocating from other more expensive markets.  Lots of HBCUs in NC including the biggest in the entire country NC A&T in Greensboro. 

Only does to very limited extent. Really if you only to live in a suburban lifestyle then Durham is it. Most of those people are married with families or specifically wants to be there to be near older family members.  However it doesn't have the appeal of Charlotte like it does for being a major city with the a wide variety of options, amenities, and/or nightlife. Honestly, the two cities don't even compare. It's like 70% (Charlotte) to 30% (the Triangle) split relocation destination for black North Carolinians. 

Yes, these are the very words I have heard several times over from HBCU graduates or fellow black North Carolinian from the Triangle or Eastern NC who are here.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Durham is also very popular with black residents relocating from other more expensive markets.  Lots of HBCUs in NC including the biggest in the entire country NC A&T in Greensboro. 

Unfortunately Durham is going down the tubes.  Crime, decay, corruption, incompetence, racism.  I moved to Durham 3 years ago having lived in Raleigh and Charlotte for 32 years, and Durham is only surviving because part of the County and City includes Research Triangle.  I had high hopes for Durham but the crime and mismanagement and utter incompetence of the city's politicians is stupefying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

^ NC did see an undercount relative to the post enumeration survey they conducted to evaluate accuracy. However, the difference was not a statistically significant one. Basically the post enumeration survey was not big enough to verify if the small difference between the survey and enumeration was a) just a product of statistical chance; or b) reflective of reality

Given the insignificance of the difference, a statistician would say that it is not -technically- correct to say NC was undercounted. It is correct to say we still don't know if NC was undercounted / overcounted or spot on. This is why the Census didn't put NC on its undercounted list (only states with statistically significant undercounts relative to the survey appeared on that list).

(just ignore the table below, for the nerds the post enumeration survey’s n was too small to prove a difference in NC)

enter image description here

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, kermit said:

^ NC did see an undercount relative to the post enumeration survey they conducted to evaluate accuracy. However, the difference was not a statistically significant one. Basically the post enumeration survey was not big enough to verify if the small difference between the survey and enumeration was a) just a product of statistical chance; or b) reality

A statistician would say that it is -technically- incorrect to say NC was undercounted. It is correct to say we still don't know if NC was undercounted / overcounted or spot on. This is why the Census didn't put NC on its undercounted list.

(just ignore the table below)

enter image description here

Statistically it would mean +/- 1.159%.  Also it doesn't discretely contemplate nor identify the undercounted black and brown (Hispanic/Latino) here in North Carolina nor other states across the US 2020 Census count. 

4 hours ago, kayman said:

Statistically it would mean +/- 1.159%.  Also it doesn't discretely contemplate nor identify the undercounted black and brown (Hispanic/Latino) here in North Carolina nor other states across the US 2020 Census count. 

My job includes working on the Census.  How are black people undercounted intentionally?   I live in  predominately non-white city and every effort was made here and in the adjacent rural counties I work with to count non-whites specifically.

• Like 4

On 5/20/2022 at 10:13 PM, Phillydog said:

My job includes working on the Census.  How are black people undercounted intentionally?   I live in  predominately non-white city and every effort was made here and in the adjacent rural counties I work with to count non-whites specifically.

I work with the US Census Bureau in my profession regularly too.  As a matter of fact, I have several class mates from graduate school who currently work for the Census Bureau whom I correspond with regularly.  These very individuals admitted there were efforts by the former Trump administration (meaning the officials out of the White House like former advisor known white supremacist Stephen Miller)  that used their influence to attempt to prematurely end the count early.  Also those same people elaborated on how there were internal directives to not count thoroughly certain demographic groups including Amerindian Hispanics and black Americans. It's not a coincidence which former administration did this and now it's coming out for the world to see.  

It's also why so much important data classifications such as urban areas (UA), metropolitan statistical area (MSA) and consolidated statistical area (CSA) designations have been behind on being officially released.

Edited by kayman
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

Just released - U.S. Census Bureau press release 5/26/2022, Fastest Growing Cities from July 1, 2020 to July 1, 2021

Pop. Estimate and Rank of Incorporated Places of >50,000 in North Carolina as of July 1, 2021 

City                               Pop. Est._ ____   Rank

Charlotte                  879,709              16

Raleigh                       469,124              41   

Greensboro            298,263               69

Durham                     285,527              74

Winston-Salem     250,320              90 

Fayetteville             208,778            113 

Cary                             176,987            148

Wilmington             117,643            240

High Point                114,086            258

Concord                     107,697            286

Asheville                        94,067           355

Greenville                     88,728            388

Gastonia                        81,161            435  

Jacksonville                 72,876            506

Apex                                 62,911            610

Huntersville                61,839             624

Chapel Hill                    61,128            631  

Burlington                      58,818           664

Kannapolis                      54,446          733

Rocky Mount                  53,957         739

Pop. Estimate and Rank of Incorporated Places of >50,000 in South Carolina as of July 1, 2021 

City                                 Pop. Est.            Rank

Charleston                 151,612            174

Columbia                    137,541           201

N. Charleston           117,472            241

Mount Pleasant          92,398            368

Rock Hill                          74,102            498

Greenville                        72,095           511

Summerville                    51,216           779

Fastest-Growing Cities From July 2020 to July 2021

Most Populous Cities

"The top 15 largest cities remained the same as in 2020 although more than half experienced decreases in their population between 2020 and 2021:  New York, New York (-305,465);  Los Angeles, California (-40,537);  Chicago, Illinois (-45,175);  Houston, Texas (-11,777);  Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (-24,754);  San Diego, California (-3,783);  Dallas, Texas (-14,777);  San Jose, California (-27,419);  and Indianapolis, Indiana (-5,343)."  

• "The other six most populous cities experienced some moderate to small growth in population.  San Antonio, Texas, had the highest numeric gain of 13,626 people between 2020 and 2021.  Followed by Phoenix, Arizona (13,224),  and Fort Worth, Texas (12,916)."
  • "The remaining three large cities experienced relatively small population growth.  Those cities were Jacksonville, Florida (4,151);  Austin, Texas (1,056);  and Columbus Ohio (adding only 668 people)."

"Despite decreasing in population, New York remained the nation’s largest city.  Its July 1, 2021, population of nearly 8.5 million was more than twice that of the next largest city, Los Angeles, with a population of nearly 4 million."

• "Following Los Angeles in population size were Chicago, Illinois (2.7 million);  Houston, Texas (2.3 million);  Phoenix, Arizona (1.6 million);  Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (1.6 million);  San Antonio, Texas (1.5 million);  San Diego, California (1.4 million);  Dallas, Texas (1.3 million);  and San Jose, California (1.0 million)."

Table 3.  The 15 Most Populous Cities on July 1, 2021

Rank Area Name State Name 2021 Total Population
1 New York city New York 8,467,513
2 Los Angeles city California 3,849,297
3 Chicago city Illinois 2,696,555
4 Houston city Texas 2,288,250
5 Phoenix city Arizona 1,624,569
6 Philadelphia city Pennsylvania 1,576,251
7 San Antonio city Texas 1,451,853
8 San Diego city California 1,381,611
9 Dallas city Texas 1,288,457
10 San Jose city California 983,489
11 Austin city Texas 964,177
12 Jacksonville city Florida 954,614
13 Fort Worth city Texas 935,508
14 Columbus city Ohio 906,528
15 Indianapolis city (balance) Indiana 882,039

Links:  

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2022/fastest-growing-cities-population-estimates.html

https://www.census.gov/data/datasets/time-series/demo/popest/2020s-total-cities-and-towns.html#tables

Edited by QCxpat
add link to U.S. Census Bureau data
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 7:56 AM, Bolt said:

South Carolina Charlotte metro counties added nothing this year .  What’s going on down there ?

You mean the July 1, 2021 Census Estimates? 

York County grew 2.3% and Lancaster County grew 4.5% between 2020 and 2021. Lancaster County's growth is similar to Johnson County's 4.86% growth rate. York's is similar to Chatham's 2.1%. Both York and Lancaster are rapidly growing. When looking at just one year estimate changes, the raw numbers are going to be smaller. 

Chester County did lose population. It is too far out to benefit from job opportunities closer in to the core of the metro, so some residents move to York, Mecklenburg, et. and very few people are looking to move there. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

On 5/26/2022 at 1:42 AM, QCxpat said:

Most Populous Cities

"The top 15 largest cities remained the same as in 2020 although more than half experienced decreases in their population between 2020 and 2021:  New York, New York (-305,465);  Los Angeles, California (-40,537);  Chicago, Illinois (-45,175);  Houston, Texas (-11,777);  Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (-24,754);  San Diego, California (-3,783);  Dallas, Texas (-14,777);  San Jose, California (-27,419);  and Indianapolis, Indiana (-5,343)."  

• "The other six most populous cities experienced some moderate to small growth in population.  San Antonio, Texas, had the highest numeric gain of 13,626 people between 2020 and 2021.  Followed by Phoenix, Arizona (13,224),  and Fort Worth, Texas (12,916)."
  • "The remaining three large cities experienced relatively small population growth.  Those cities were Jacksonville, Florida (4,151);  Austin, Texas (1,056);  and Columbus Ohio (adding only 668 people)."

"Despite decreasing in population, New York remained the nation’s largest city.  Its July 1, 2021, population of nearly 8.5 million was more than twice that of the next largest city, Los Angeles, with a population of nearly 4 million."

• "Following Los Angeles in population size were Chicago, Illinois (2.7 million);  Houston, Texas (2.3 million);  Phoenix, Arizona (1.6 million);  Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (1.6 million);  San Antonio, Texas (1.5 million);  San Diego, California (1.4 million);  Dallas, Texas (1.3 million);  and San Jose, California (1.0 million)."

We should all be alarmed by these trends.  The pandemic seems to have left a permanent impact where many no longer need to report to an office, so many are moving out of the city and moving to rural/nob-urban locations, which means sprawl is going to escalate again, and more natural habitats will be  destroyed, and more animal species will be endangered.  Meanwhile our cities and, especially, city centers will be weakened and may be on a pathway to becoming worse than the lifeless ghost towns they were in the 1970s and 1980s.

A couple weeks ago I learned some surprising news in my family.  My nephew graduated from college three years ago and got a job with an accounting firm in Uptown Charlotte.  He's been living these past three years in South End.  The pandemic sent him and his colleagues into a remote work environment, which now seems permanent.  So now he's announced to the family that he's moving to Charleston, SC.  He'll still be in the same job, still based out of the Uptown Charlotte location, but he's permanently giving up his office space.  I know he's not alone.  The agency where I work is now permanently a remote work environment and office space isn't even available to us anymore.  City leaders around the country are going to have to figure out some way to prevent a mass exodus from our cities.

• Haha 1