Charlotte area population statistics

Interesting story about population growth in NC since 2020 from UNC Chapel Hill. 

Basically 6 counties have over 50% of the population growth including Meck, Cabarrus and Union counties in our area.  It also gives possible reasons for migration out of Meck but the county still did grow in population.  Driven by they state higher house prices which is true. 

https://wraltechwire.com/2022/09/15/how-best-to-spread-economic-wealth-in-north-carolina-consider-demographically-targeted-approaches/

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

China has a downward trajectory and China local government figures, which are assembled for national numbers, are not reliable. China may be in decline now. Naturalized citizens are extraordinarily rare in China. 1448 in 2010 per wiki. That is right, 1,448 total, not just for that year but for all time for those alive in 2010. 

As a boy my social studies books described Japan as a typical East Asia country with a highly crowded population spread across the country. Now the Kansai and Kanto areas, Osaka and Tokyo, have half the population and vast areas of the country are declining, stagnant, or depopulated. National population is in decline and there is no way to address the continuing and future decline. Things that seem immutable can change in less than a lifetime.

Japan has a small percentage of naturalized citizens but nothing as small as China. Mostly ethnic Japanese from elsewhere.

Korea is in population decline now and it is impossible for me to see how they can recover without unification with the North.

Natural growth powers India. About 1,000 naturalized citizens per year last five years.

If  one thinks immigration, long term residence, and citizenship is an issue in our country or other western nations it is no problem for these East Asian countries. It simply does not happen. 

Historically the four countries that have had active immigration policies are USA, Canada, Israel, Australia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back to NC these 50 counties have the most native born NC residents.  Of course Meck and most close in ring counties are not on the list but Anson is #3 most NC county so to speak.  Rowan and Catawba are the only other 2 in our regions anywhere on this list. 

https://www.cbs17.com/news/north-carolina-news/counties-with-the-most-born-and-bred-residents-in-nc/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Seems like Mecklenburg has lost its luster.  Wake growing by 20K yearly to Meck’s 6.7K.  Seems like Charlotte may not reach 1M People until after 2030 at this rate.  Could be a good thing though…

Its too early to say for sure but if Charlotte’s growth is dropping because of higher cost of living issues, its possible that the growth that is still occurring is from folks at the top of the labor skill / wage ladder. If that is the case, its bullish for long-term knowledge industry growth. In addition, if we can ever figure out the formula for infill residential growth (not just entry-level multifamily) then the high-end job growth we may still be seeing may fuel more broad-based growth is likely to return quickly.

Having said that, population growth is driven much more by narrative (e.g. “Charlotte is a great place to move and get a good job”) than by reality (e.g. Charlotte actually has lots of jobs). We know this from our rapid population growth -during- the 2009 recession. So if Charlotte’s boomtown narrative has faded for the generation Z folks now city shopping then growth may never return.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, thenewkage95 said:

Where did you get those figures?

Looking for it - should’ve copied the link but it’s on here within the last page or two.  I believe it was the Census estimate for 2021 which showed much slower population growth for Mecklenburg County.  Wake still pulling them in big time each year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/14/2022 at 1:27 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Looking for it - should’ve copied the link but it’s on here within the last page or two.  I believe it was the Census estimate for 2021 which showed much slower population growth for Mecklenburg County.  Wake still pulling them in big time each year.

This link shows a good compare.  It's a good tool - can compare side-by-side multiple cities, counties, etc.  Mecklenburg growing much slower, but if you look at Cabarrus, York, Union and Gaston - all growing at a solid clip.  I pulled up the 4 large Atlanta metro counties all but 1 (Gwinnett) show population loss.  Gwinnett grew but very slow like Mecklenburg. 

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/wakecountynorthcarolina,mecklenburgcountynorthcarolina/PST045221

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Havemercy said:

This link shows a good compare.  It's a good tool - can compare side-by-side multiple cities, counties, etc.  Mecklenburg growing much slower, but if you look at Cabarrus, York, Union and Gaston - all growing at a solid clip.  I pulled up the 4 large Atlanta metro counties all but 1 (Gwinnett) show population loss.  Gwinnett grew but very slow like Mecklenburg. 

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/wakecountynorthcarolina,mecklenburgcountynorthcarolina/PST045221

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phillydog said:

North Carolina is the 3rd most popular destination for retirees in the US.  South Carolina is 4th.  Together, the Carolinas are #2 - leaving everyone but Florida in the dust (PS Georgia doesn't crack the top 10 and Tennessee, which likes to tout the lack of income tax is waaaaaaaay behind in the #8 spot.

https://smartasset.com/financial-advisor/where-retirees-are-moving-2021

That doesn’t surprise me.  I’ve said it before, but my parents retired to Ballantyne from NY at the end of 2018.  And two of my friends’ parents have also relo’d here in the past few years - both from FL.  My mom’s brother and his wife are coming for a visit next month from the Bay Area.  They’re considering moving when my uncle retires in the next couple of years.  It is surprising though, how many moved out.  Doubly impressive that despite that we still ranked so highly.  

• Like 1

According to this site, Raleigh and Charlotte -- after Tampa and Ocala, FL are the two "big" cities retirees are moving to.  NC is well-represented here as well.  Again, GA and TN -- not so much.  People with money and education are choosing quality over quantity IMHO -- and NC (and SC to a lesser extent) offer something in this country that few other states can -- subtropical beaches and big mountains where it snows; small cool towns and increasingly cosmopolitan cities with funky smaller cities mixed in (Charleston, Asheville, Wilmington).  We also offer the best colleges and universities in the South which generate continuing education opportunities and contribute to the coolness of many of our college towns (Davidson, Elon, Boone).  Add some of the best health care in the country and NC is a truly remarkable place and people are finding this out.   In a way, the fact that NC isn't a bloviator (i.e. GA, TX, TN) means that it still feels like a "secret".  For better or worse, the "secret" is getting harder and harder to keep as more and more people discover just how amazing NC (and the Carolinas) truly are. 

https://www.movebuddha.com/blog/moving-trends/#:~:text=Big city spotlight%3A %231 Tampa,%2C and %2315 San Antonio.

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 3