Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
orlandouprise

OSCAR

12 posts in this topic

The Orlando Street Car project. Anybody remember this? Why did it die? Any chance the city revives this? Doesn't have to be antique looking like Tampa. Could be more sleek like Atlanta's...

I never heard of this. Any resources? Was this before Lymmo?

See my 4/26/17 post in the Magnolia Rose thread for the backstory. OSCAR was deemed impractical (supposedly due to incline issues but Lynx, just as they did with the I-Drive Trolley, was unenthusiastic from the get-go about the use of non-standard equipment and pushed for Lymmo instead.) It's been a couple of years but last I heard, the city was attempting to sell the prototype streetcar. I don't foresee any return on the horizon.

Yeah, the old idea got replaced by dedicated BRT in the form of LYMMO.  The streetcar will never happen, but it accomplished the goal in getting dedicated routes for mass transit in downtown. If nothing, we may get a tribute to OSCAR in the from of a monorail or maglev circulator system along that right of way after we are all dead and gone. Hahah. 

OSCAR may never return but I'm actually hoping some time in the future that Lymmo becomes a streetcar/tram on rails instead of more buses.

OSCAR was sold around 10 years ago. Lymmo did eliminate the need for it. 

It's sitting in a rail museum somewhere if I can recall.

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

See my 4/26/17 post in the Magnolia Rose thread for the backstory. OSCAR was deemed impractical (supposedly due to incline issues but Lynx, just as they did with the I-Drive Trolley, was unenthusiastic from the get-go about the use of non-standard equipment and pushed for Lymmo instead.) 

I read an entire study on 192 and Kissimmee a few years ago, and every single alternative was shot down on the premise of... "Well its not a bus and we already know how to do buses."

3 people like this

33 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I read an entire study on 192 and Kissimmee a few years ago, and every single alternative was shot down on the premise of... "Well its not a bus and we already know how to do buses."

What's wrong with the mindset of Lynx in a short quote. ^

Transportainment