Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

On 10/7/2017 at 4:54 PM, kermit said:

^ at least you don't have to worry about getting shot everytime you go to school or a music festival in the UK.

Or walk to the store in South Chicago.  

It would be noteworthy if people who opposed gun violence actually opposed gun violence blindly.  Sadly, that's not the case.  

4 hours ago, nonillogical said:

^this is where "The Party of Personal Responsibility" is at now. 

Yep, electing a guy who's rolling back regulations at a seemingly unprecedented rate.

FYI: I didn't vote for Trump. But I'm enjoying all the butt-hurt. It's like they say, schaden is the best freude.

• Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:14 AM, cjd5050 said:

Or walk to the store in South Chicago.  

It would be noteworthy if people who opposed gun violence actually opposed gun violence blindly.  Sadly, that's not the case.  

How doe s that equate? They do oppose gun violence but any attempt to ramp up the "fake" /weak gun laws in places like Chicago is met with fierce resistance from the 2nd amendment zealots.  First the little guns...then big guns...then all the guns....you know the story.

I know you come up with a better argument than that.  Sad!

Edited by Durhamite

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, Dale said:

Yep, electing a guy who's rolling back regulations at a seemingly unprecedented rate.

FYI: I didn't vote for Trump. But I'm enjoying all the butt-hurt. It's like they say, schaden is the best freude.

As always, it'll only take a few years before the fleecing is in full in effect due to all the deregs  (no of these will help Joe the Plumber)....history repeating itself and  that adage about insanity? Y'all act if is though you haven't seen this movie before.   Lol, so anti-Obama it doesn't matter what this asshole does.    The economy is cyclical anyways but the dereg dummy will only intensify the drive to the bottom, but we'll rebound just another lengthy bounce back......so you really haven't seen this movie before?  

Nah, the real butt-hurt was the shear pain on Karl Rove's face when Romney lost after the "luberal" media got that one wrong too.  He reminded me of that scene in Trading Places when the Dukes started pleading to "turn those machines back on".

Edited by Durhamite

31 minutes ago, Durhamite said:

As always, it'll only take a few years before the fleecing is in full in effect due to all the deregs  (no of these will help Joe the Plumber)....history repeating itself and  that adage about insanity? Y'all act if is though you haven't seen this movie before.   Lol, so anti-Obama it doesn't matter what this asshole does.    The economy is cyclical anyways but the dereg dummy will only intensify the drive to the bottom, but we'll rebound just another lengthy bounce back......so you really haven't seen this movie before?  

Nah, the real butt-hurt was the shear pain on Karl Rove's face when Romney lost after the "luberal" media got that one wrong too.  He reminded me of that scene in Trading Places when the Dukes started pleading to "turn those machines back on".

Personally, I think it's all a scam. I just despise identity liberalism above all else.

9 hours ago, Durhamite said:

How doe s that equate? They do oppose gun violence but any attempt to ramp up the "fake" /weak gun laws in places like Chicago is met with fierce resistance from the 2nd amendment zealots.  First the little guns...then big guns...then all the guns....you know the story.

I know you come up with a better argument than that.  Sad!

Ya, no.  

It's not the 2nd amendment zealots that are the issue for the majority of gun violence.  It's a cheap and weak scapegoat.  No, in order to address close to all of the gun violence you're going to need to go after small handguns and the people that have them...mostly illegally.    People don't have a spine for those optics. 

See what too many naive people think is if you somehow overcome the NRA that will be the victory needed to solve gun crime.  That's wrong and ignorant.  While I don't like the NRA is as an org I do like that they push their agenda through legal (yet dirty) process.   If only Cartels tried to lobby congress.  

You could outlaw every single gun today but it would not solve the issue.  Drugs are illegal and the US consumes more of those than any nation on the planet.  In order to actually solve gun violence, you're going to need to go to war with the lower end of the population in order to get the guns.  From the inner city to the hillbilly hills.   But people don't have the stomach for those optics.  

So what we are left with, like clockwork, are simpletons who show outrage after incidents large enough to gain national attention but display indifference for the majority of what's going on.  

I don't know why but for some reason in our country a life lost in a mass shooting is somehow valued more than a life lost in a much more frequent typical incident.  To me, that's the saddest part of it all.  

Per the Charlotte Observer, Maroon 5, having boycotted NC in an effort to hurt North Carolinians, have announced they're coming back in 2018.

Let the record stand that they were coming to NC when men who think they're women weren't allowed to use any women's restroom they wanted to. And now they're coming when men who think they're women aren't allowed to use any women's restroom they want to.

As an aside: they're overrated.

3 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Ya, no.  

It's not the 2nd amendment zealots that are the issue for the majority of gun violence.  It's a cheap and weak scapegoat.  No, in order to address close to all of the gun violence you're going to need to go after small handguns and the people that have them...mostly illegally.    People don't have a spine for those optics. 

See what too many naive people think is if you somehow overcome the NRA that will be the victory needed to solve gun crime.  That's wrong and ignorant.  While I don't like the NRA is as an org I do like that they push their agenda through legal (yet dirty) process.   If only Cartels tried to lobby congress.  

You could outlaw every single gun today but it would not solve the issue.  Drugs are illegal and the US consumes more of those than any nation on the planet.  In order to actually solve gun violence, you're going to need to go to war with the lower end of the population in order to get the guns.  From the inner city to the hillbilly hills.   But people don't have the stomach for those optics.  

So what we are left with, like clockwork, are simpletons who show outrage after incidents large enough to gain national attention but display indifference for the majority of what's going on.  

I don't know why but for some reason in our country a life lost in a mass shooting is somehow valued more than a life lost in a much more frequent typical incident.  To me, that's the saddest part of it all.  

Heard.
The root-root-root cause of the major gun violence is the desperation-culture that unfettered, large-scale capitalism, backed and propped-up by the government, causes.

For the mass shootings: spiritual devoidness, social isolation, bootstrap guilt.

For the people that turn to a life of crime: disenfranchisement, hoarding of the market/resources,  consolidation of resources/wealth.

In the meantime, focusing on a "war on crime" is empty and akin to treating a disease with Tylenol.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

See link below to story from The New York Times, November 7, 2017, "Elections Roundup"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/us/mayor-atlanta-boston-detroit.html?_r=0

Vi Lyles Will Be First Black Woman to Lead Charlotte, N.C.

Vi Lyles, a Democratic councilwoman, was elected mayor of Charlotte, N.C., on Tuesday, local election authorities reported, becoming the first African-American woman to win the office since the city’s incorporation in 1768.

Photo

08roundup8-master675.jpg

Vi Lyles with her granddaughter, Arya Alexander, 2, after her victory in Charlotte, N.C., on Tuesday.CreditJeff Siner/The Charlotte Observer, via Associated Press

Ms. Lyles defeated Kenny Smith, a Republican, in the race to choose a successor for Mayor Jennifer Roberts, whom Ms. Lyles had defeated in a Democratic primary.

Ms. Roberts had been buffeted, from both the left and the right, for her handling of two issues: the fallout from the fatal police shooting of an African-American man, Keith Lamont Scott, in September 2016; and a debate over which bathrooms transgender people should be able to use in public buildings.

In February 2016, the Charlotte City Council passed a nondiscrimination ordinance — supported by Ms. Lyles and Ms. Roberts — that prompted the Republican-dominated state Legislature to pass a law that required people in publicly owned buildings to use the restroom that corresponded with the gender listed on their birth certificates. The law set off a roaring culture debate across the state, and the Charlotte council eventually rescinded its ordinance as part of an effort to roll back the state law.

The bathroom issue played a role in the election, with a conservative group promulgating ads that attacked Ms. Lyles for supporting a “radical” gay-rights agenda.

Mr. Smith portrayed himself as a figure who could unite a divided city, while Ms. Lyles promised to increase resident involvement in police matters.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A Historic First for Charlotte!  Congratulations to Ms. Vi Lyles and the Queen City!

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 2

RESULTS

City Council at-large

Julie Eiselt 17.25%

Braxton Winston II 16.45%

James (Smuggie) Mitchell Jr. 16.38%

Dimple Ajmera 14.51%

John K. Powell Jr. 11.46%

Parker Cains 10.47%

David Michael Rice 8.24%

Steven J. DiFiore II 5.09%

District 2

Justin Harlow 80.29%

Pete Givens 19.5%

District 3

LaWana Mayfield 73.17%

Daniel Herrera 26.75%

District 6

Sam Grundman 32.08%

Tariq Scott Bokhari 62.53%

Jeff Scott 5.29%

District 7

Sharon Roberts 37.92%

Ed Driggs 62.03%

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

I wonder how the NC GOP is feeling after seeing what  happened in the Virginia State Legislature elections last night. On top of that they continue to deal with the federal court case about gerrymandering. And more locally with our Mayors race a LOT of money was poured into Kenny Smith's election and the results were disappointing for the GOP.

• Like 3

I just wish we had a more balanced council, similar to when Pat was mayor, where there were 2 at-large Republicans.  7-4 would be a healthier split that would at least stimulate across aisle dialogue.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely, see the reverse in NCGA.

Secondly, even a Democrat, Smudgie, warned a few weeks ago than zoning reform or pro business practices such as permitting process improvements, or city investments in sports or other tourism is unlikely to occur with the slate of candidates that won.  The agenda will focus on social equity at the cost of pro-growth reforms.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, uptownliving said:

I wonder how the NC GOP is feeling after seeing what  happened in the Virginia State Legislature elections last night. On top of that they continue to deal with the federal court case about gerrymandering. And more locally with our Mayors race a LOT of money was poured into Kenny Smith's election and the results were disappointing for the GOP.

I'd venture it's more a case of NC dems looking wistfully at the blue state to the north.

It's only gerrymandering when you lose.

And the mayoral results were hardly surprising. I think Smith even beat the spread.

4 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I just wish we had a more balanced council, similar to when Pat was mayor, where there were 2 at-large Republicans.  7-4 would be a healthier split that would at least stimulate across aisle dialogue.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely, see the reverse in NCGA.

Secondly, even a Democrat, Smudgie, warned a few weeks ago than zoning reform or pro business practices such as permitting process improvements, or city investments in sports or other tourism is unlikely to occur with the slate of candidates that won.  The agenda will focus on social equity at the cost of pro-growth reforms.

Well, at least we can look forward to escalating tensions between police and city council.

15 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Maybe Pat should teach a course on how Republicans can actually win in Charlotte. I will say that back when Pat was Mayor he would drop in on our neighborhood meeting usually once a year....same with the At Large Republican City Council members....but that hasn't happened in years. If Republicans actually want to win a city wide race they need to get out of their South Charlotte comfort zone and actually invest in neighborhood level relationships.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I split my ticket and am disgusted that Dimple Ajmera was elected.   She is bush league, same for LaWana Mayfield, and both are reminiscent of the unprofessional and tone-deaf fools you find up north in run-down industrial cities that have been straight ticket Democrat for decades.   The same cities where many of the population gains of Charlotte have fled from.  What's that saying about the definition of insanity?

24 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

And so it begins.   Social agendas and pro-growth reforms should not compete against each other.   Good leadership finds a way leverage both at the same time.  

Homes in Matthews just got a bit more expensive this morning....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

An improved zoning ordinance would help the social justice landscape in the form of improved housing, etc. So it better darn well be a priority.

This!

Seriously, there is no policy that would do more to improve equity and social mobility than a new zoning policy that encourages infill, accessory dwellings, mixed use, walkability and higher densities. No other policy comes close to the social impact of zoning.  I am continually appalled that the council has fiddlefarted around the zoning revamp and the appointment of a permanent planning chief.

1 hour ago, Dale said:

It's only gerrymandering when you lose.

I think the Supreme Court disagrees.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kermit said:

This!

Seriously, there is no policy that would do more to improve equity and social mobility than a new zoning policy that encourages infill, accessory dwellings, mixed use, walkability and higher densities. No other policy comes close to the social impact of zoning.  I am continually appalled that the council has fiddlefarted around the zoning revamp and the appointment of a permanent planning chief.

I think the Supreme Court disagrees.

They've agreed to hear the complaint from the latest loser. But don't see where they've actually ruled in favor of the latest gerrymandering-because-we-lost party.

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

They've agreed to hear the complaint from the latest loser. But don't see where they've actually ruled in favor of the latest gerrymandering-because-we-lost party.

Your statement is false:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_State_Legislature_v._Arizona_Independent_Redistricting_Commission

6 minutes ago, kermit said:

"Legislature v. Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission was a 2015 United States Supreme Court case wherein the Court upheld the right of Arizona voters to remove the authority to draw election districts from the Arizona State Legislature and vest it in an independent redistricting commission.[1]"  does nothing to overturn my contention "It's only gerrymandering when you lose." Therefore, your rejoinder is false.