Jump to content

kermit

Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Dale said:

Yeah, especially the “Trump is a f***ing Nazi!” part and “His followers are sheep!” we get breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Watch the Trump interview on Fox News yesterday.  If you don't conclude that he's a moron and completely unfit for office, I'll be surprised (unless you think raking national forests is plausible).  Trump is not Hitler and his followers are not Nazis.  However, the blind obeisance to a terrible man is disturbing.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, JBS said:

Watch the Trump interview on Fox News yesterday.  If you don't conclude that he's a moron and completely unfit for office, I'll be surprised (unless you think raking national forests is plausible).  Trump is not Hitler and his followers are not Nazis.  However, the blind obeisance to a terrible man is disturbing.  

Each party has it’s fair share of “Obama gone buy me gas” types, but voters are typically more cynical than that. For many, perhaps most, Trump was and is an opportunity to beat back the Democrats. And probably the only thing keeping Democrat’s in the game is Trump’s beating Democrats and then rubbing their noses in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Dale said:

Each party has it’s fair share of “Obama gone buy me gas” types, but voters are typically more cynical than that. For many, perhaps most, Trump was and is an opportunity to beat back the Democrats. And probably the only thing keeping Democrat’s in the game is Trump’s beating Democrats and then rubbing their noses in it.

I'm not talking about either party or people generally.  I'm talking about people specifically who support Trump.  People who claim to love the military but have no apparent problem when he criticizes and falsely accuses the Navy Seal who was in charge of the mission that killed bin Laden.  Who have no issue when he diminished McCain's time as a POW.  Who ignored when he went after Gold Star families (who lost their children in combat defending our country).  Who accepted a guy's Purple Heart (admittedly given to him) despite avoiding service himself with bone spurs.  This is just one issue.  How do people support this obviously evil and incompetent man?

I'm talking specifically to you Dale.  Do you support this guy?

Edited by JBS
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JBS said:

I'm not talking about either party or people generally.  I'm talking about people specifically who support Trump.  People who claim to love the military but have no apparent problem when he criticizes and falsely accuses the Navy Seal who was in charge of the mission that killed bin Laden.  Who have no issue when he diminished McCain's time as a POW.  Who ignored when he went after Gold Star families (who lost their children in combat defending our country).  Who accepted a guy's Purple Heart (admittedly given to him) despite avoiding service himself with bone spurs.  This is just one issue.  How do people support this obviously evil and incompetent man?

I'm talking specifically to you Dale.  Do you support this guy?

I don’t vote, because Golden Rule. I do think the GOP is ‘less bad’ than the Democrats. And 2016 reminded me that shaden is the best freude. 

Hey, I don’t pretend to be a model Christian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dale said:

I don’t vote, because Golden Rule. I do think the GOP is ‘less bad’ than the Democrats. And 2016 reminded me that shaden is the best freude. 

Hey, I don’t pretend to be a model Christian.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/11/john-oliver-last-week-tonight-trump-authoritarianism.html

Worth watching in my opinion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is going to be controversial, but a study was done that concluded that urban planning from decades ago is responsible for the political polarization in the USA and Canada, and the rise of right-wing extremism:

https://uwaterloo.ca/news/news/urban-planning-policy-contributes-political-polarization

https://www.cogitatiopress.com/urbanplanning/article/view/1684/1684

The full study is in the second link. Any thoughts on this? I don’t find it too surprising considering we’ve known about white flight for some time now, but it dives into other deeper topics like automobile reliance and social isolation in the suburbs. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dale said:

Wasn’t John Oliver who said “Do it!” on learning that Trump was going to run.

shaden ...

So it's all about you vs. "them"?  It's all about schadenfreude.  No response to Trump's specific behavior and no concern for your fellow Americans.  Got it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JBS said:

So it's all about you vs. "them"?  It's all about schadenfreude.  No response to Trump's specific behavior and no concern for your fellow Americans.  Got it.  

Oh, stop pretending that you prize the integrity of your chosen candidate and that you’re keenly attuned to their foibles and inconsistencies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dale said:

Oh, stop pretending that you prize the integrity of your chosen candidate and that you’re keenly attuned to their foibles and inconsistencies.

Point out a single post where I ever supported a particular candidate or party.  I voted for McCready (first D ever) simply to limit Trump's power but never said anything positive about him.  I have no chosen candidate(s).  You are blinded by partisanship, hatred, negativity and unhappiness.  I'll spare myself and the rest of the board any further interactions with you.  I hope you get help.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JBS said:

Point out a single post where I ever supported a particular candidate or party.  I voted for McCready (first D ever) simply to limit Trump's power but never said anything positive about him.  I have no chosen candidate(s).  You are blinded by partisanship, hatred, negativity and unhappiness.  I'll spare myself and the rest of the board any further interactions with you.  I hope you get help.  

And I’m the one who’s unhappy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Third Strike said:

This is going to be controversial, but a study was done that concluded that urban planning from decades ago is responsible for the political polarization in the USA and Canada, and the rise of right-wing extremism:

https://uwaterloo.ca/news/news/urban-planning-policy-contributes-political-polarization

https://www.cogitatiopress.com/urbanplanning/article/view/1684/1684

The full study is in the second link. Any thoughts on this? I don’t find it too surprising considering we’ve known about white flight for some time now, but it dives into other deeper topics like automobile reliance and social isolation in the suburbs. 

Now that is one hell of an interesting read. It makes plenty of sense to me to the point where I don't feel the need to make arrangements against it. Thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People like Dale support Trump for a variety of reasons but as he fully admits the most important reason is "owning the libtards". Dale would support literally anybody other than a Democrat. It's a problem. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As of today, 4 of the top 5 biggest point drops in the Dow have now occurred during the Trump administration. (BAC lost 5.5%)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kermit said:

As of today, 4 of the top 5 biggest point drops in the Dow have now occurred during the Trump administration. (BAC lost 5.5%)

These erratic jumps are definitely scary and throwing some seriously big red flags. It's a shame the stocks look like this when raw number economic indicators are generally very good. It's almost like the stock market would like people to quit interfering in the free market with tarrifs and unnecessary subsidies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2018 at 1:40 AM, Crucial_Infra said:

People like Dale support Trump for a variety of reasons but as he fully admits the most important reason is "owning the libtards". Dale would support literally anybody other than a Democrat. It's a problem. 

Schaden is the best freude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another casualty of HB2: https://www.wfae.org/post/north-carolina-lose-netflix-show-over-hb2#stream/0

Quote

Show creator Jonas Pate tells The StarNews of Wilmington that Netflix has picked up "OBX," with filming slated to begin this spring. He says the streaming service passed on filming in North Carolina because of a clause in HB2's replacement that halts new local antidiscrimination ordinances until 2020.

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Hopefully we can get a mcdonalds and wendys in Uptown before the RNC. 

But seriously. Uptown lacks cheap, late night eats. I'd love to be able to get some waffle House hash browns or a mcdouble at 2am after a fun night Uptown. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

But seriously. Uptown lacks cheap, late night eats. I'd love to be able to get some waffle House hash browns or a mcdouble at 2am after a fun night Uptown. 

Red Eye Diner in epicenter fills that void fairly well. Not quite the same, but still good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Red Eye Diner in epicenter fills that void fairly well. Not quite the same, but still good.

I haven't been before. I always thought it was a little more expensive but I just actually looked at their menu and it's not too bad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lawsuit brought against the City by a few homebuilders is about to set a very bad precedent and will have far-reaching implications if the court supports the homebuilders.  

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/north-carolina/articles/2019-01-15/homebuilders-sue-north-carolina-city-over-sewer-water-fees

Basically, you can't charge for "future" services, roads, water, sewer, etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.