Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

Trump said the Trade deal is now after 2020 election, which means 2021. Trump has imposed VAT(Value Added Tax) on almost all major products and PMI is now in full contraction. I'm saddened Trump finds farmers and everyone suffering , "Peanuts" today.  Expect markets to quickly adjust to realities. The DOW was riding the hope train, and that's gone now. 

A look at what Trump's tariffs has done to manufacturing.... FYI below 50 is recession 

PMI:

image.thumb.png.7404ad91d1dca0282cba9fab0897814b.png

I feel like I gotta say...

data about the economy is not political (well, it SHOULD not be political)

I am not playing thread police, just wanted to make the statement that we (urban planet and the nation) have fallen pretty far if we consider data to be partisan. Welcome to the 2nd dark ages.

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, kermit said:

I feel like I gotta say...

data about the economy is not political (well, it SHOULD not be political)

I am not playing thread police, just wanted to make the statement that we (urban planet and the nation) have fallen pretty far if we consider data to be partisan. Welcome to the 2nd dark ages.

Who enacted Tariffs? Who cut income taxes and blew the deficit sky high? 

Realities is that Trump's reckless fiscal policies has had a catastrophic effect on the economy and we are seeing that sector-wide now.  This is coming from someone in the same party as him.  FACTS ARE FACTS. 

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Who enacted Tariffs? Who cut income taxes and blew the deficit sky high? 

I am not disagreeing with you on that at all.  But, since the data from ADP are simply a reflection of real world conditions, these numbers should not be any more partisan than the data that comes from a speedometer, thermostat or rectal thermometer. We shouldn't be afraid of data.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kermit said:

I am not disagreeing with you on that at all.  Since these data are simply a reflection of real world conditions, these numbers should not be any more partisan than the data that comes from a speedometer, thermostat or rectal thermometer. We shouldn't be afraid to throw this stuff around (i.e. we shouldn't feel a need to ghettoize it here)

Are you calling me ghetto? Wow.  I have a few names I can call you, but ill stay classy.  President Trump has a effect on the numbers and people's livelihoods and many are not having a Christmas this year, thanks to his tariffs and fiscal policies. 

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Are you calling me ghetto? Wow.  I have a few names I can call you, but ill stay classy.  President Trump has a effect on the numbers and people's livelihoods and many are not having a Christmas this year, thanks to his tariffs and fiscal policies. 

Take a breath dude. I am on your side. I definitely did not call you ghetto, I was not criticizing you at all.

I was just suggesting we should have a "state of the economy" thread rather than marginalizing your very useful data here.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, kermit said:

Take a breath dude. I am on your side.

I was just suggesting we should have a state of the economy thread rather than marginalizing your very useful data here.

Right, the manufacturing recession should not be credited to trump and his 30%+ value added tax. It was credited to "He Who Must Not Be Named". 

I lay it plain and simple. Trump's income tax cuts were to stimulate shoppers and rush them to the store.  This did not happen and stores continued to file for bankruptcy.  The magnify this, Trump imposed the biggest tax increase in United States history on products. Profits plummets, jobs dwindle, consumer spending halts.  He created the perfect storm. Sad people stick their heads in the sand, those people in the great recession lost homes, cars, and almost everything. 

• Like 1

I just purchased an electric scooter from a company. called Niu today.  The closest place I could buy it from is in Atlanta..  Part of the purchase price was $175 for Tariff Fees.  I thought China was paying for the Tariffs.  There are no USA companies producing electric scooters.

Mister Donald, where do I send the bill to compensate me for that $175, the Chinese Embassy, or are they still perpetuation the Chinese Hoax about climate change?

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rancenc said:

Knew he wasn't going to win re-election after his district got redrawn. No Republican is even going to run in that race, so I'd say that seat is "solidly Dem" on all the maps.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Knew he wasn't going to win re-election after his district got redrawn. No Republican is even going to run in that race, so I'd say that seat is "solidly Dem" on all the maps.

Not quite so. Cook political report (and others) say it is safe. No blue wave of 2018 turned a seat as blue as this new district. Possible flip, yes. With incumbent running, absolutely no. With new republican, likely no. There is an active democrat who has been running for months already in the district, so maybe.
NC-11: Mark Meadows (R) - West: Asheville, Smoky Mountains
Solid Republican. The new map basically restores the 11th CD to its pre-2011 configuration by returning the liberal, countercultural haven of Asheville back to this Western North Carolina district. But that doesn't mean Meadows is suddenly vulnerable: the alterations shrink President Trump's 2016 margin in the 11th CD from 29 points to a still-robust 17 points. Democrats didn't flip a seat that red in the "blue wave" of 2018.

12 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Not quite so. Cook political report (and others) say it is safe. No blue wave of 2018 turned a seat as blue as this new district. Possible flip, yes. With incumbent running, absolutely no. With new republican, likely no. There is an active democrat who has been running for months already in the district, so maybe.
NC-11: Mark Meadows (R) - West: Asheville, Smoky Mountains
Solid Republican. The new map basically restores the 11th CD to its pre-2011 configuration by returning the liberal, countercultural haven of Asheville back to this Western North Carolina district. But that doesn't mean Meadows is suddenly vulnerable: the alterations shrink President Trump's 2016 margin in the 11th CD from 29 points to a still-robust 17 points. Democrats didn't flip a seat that red in the "blue wave" of 2018.

Hmm, I could have sworn I read this morning that there wasn't a Republican who had even filed to run in that race but now I can't find where I saw it. The deadline is tomorrow so I guess there's still time for a quick file. 

EDIT: looked it up and, yeah, nobody has filed for the Republican primary yet and the deadline is tomorrow. So how would that work if Meadows retires before the end of his term? Does the Governor appoint someone? Would the filing deadline be extended? I'm not an expert on NC filing rules.

Edited by Madison Parkitect

Very good read from Billy Graham 's Christianity today....

Let’s grant this to the president: The Democrats have had it out for him from day one, and therefore nearly everything they do is under a cloud of partisan suspicion. This has led many to suspect not only motives but facts in these recent impeachment hearings. And, no, Mr. Trump did not have a serious opportunity to offer his side of the story in the House hearings on impeachment.

But the facts in this instance are unambiguous: The president of the United States attempted to use his political power to coerce a foreign leader to harass and discredit one of the president’s political opponents. That is not only a violation of the Constitution; more importantly, it is profoundly immoral.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2019/december-web-only/trump-should-be-removed-from-office.html

• Like 1

Very good read from Billy Graham 's Christianity today....

Let’s grant this to the president: The Democrats have had it out for him from day one, and therefore nearly everything they do is under a cloud of partisan suspicion. This has led many to suspect not only motives but facts in these recent impeachment hearings. And, no, Mr. Trump did not have a serious opportunity to offer his side of the story in the House hearings on impeachment.

But the facts in this instance are unambiguous: The president of the United States attempted to use his political power to coerce a foreign leader to harass and discredit one of the president’s political opponents. That is not only a violation of the Constitution; more importantly, it is profoundly immoral.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2019/december-web-only/trump-should-be-removed-from-office.html

Didn’t have a chance to offer should be revised to “did not attempt to offer” or “kept his staff from offering”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk