Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

7 hours ago, kermit said:

WTF???? In what context could this ever possibly be appropriate for an elected official? Did I fall asleep and wake up in turn of the century Guatemala?

It's a "clever" way to grab data from MAGAts. They'd fall for it (like Thom or Eric care what any of us think and I'm sure my message to him would not be delivered anyway). I dread the next 10 months but I relish voting against Thom Tillis again.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 9:09 PM, Dandy Chiggens said:

I dont have time at the moment but I would like to see where Australia sources their immigrants from and how many are considered "highly skilled". 

Welcome back Dandy Chiggens. Did you ever get a chance to follow up on your question about the immigration - productivity relationship?

image.png.4ff908b7d99331544c02fc8d0500f206.png

• Like 1

As the saying goes, Florida becomes less Southern the farther South you go.

Like Florida, North Carolina is not really a swing state, but rather, a state with growing blue metros and deepening red hinterlands.  This is why Arizona has a much greater chance of turning blue than Florida and/or North Carolina, as Arizona's population is largely urban with very little rural population. 

Higher urban growth will still make North Carolina competitive, but also having high rural population means North Carolina isn't as much demographic destiny as it is a campaign to get out the vote. Demographic changes help most, when rural areas are sparse (AZ, CO) or income and/or educational attainment are strong (CO, VA), but in deeply divided, urban-rural states (FL, NC), it will come down to turnout.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, southslider said:

Like Florida, North Carolina is not really a swing state, but rather, a state with growing blue metros and deepening red hinterlands.  This is why Arizona has a much greater chance of turning blue than Florida and/or North Carolina, as Arizona's population is largely urban with very little rural population. 

Higher urban growth will still make North Carolina competitive, but also having high rural population means North Carolina isn't as much demographic destiny as it is a campaign to get out the vote. Demographic changes help most, when rural areas are sparse (AZ, CO) or income and/or educational attainment are strong (CO, VA), but in deeply divided, urban-rural states (FL, NC), it will come down to turnout.

I would give it another 10-20 years before almost all Rural centers disintegrate. Rural centers do not have tacit knowledge as the metropolitan areas do.  Automation in the manufacturing industry is almost complete, which will leave only knowledge-based jobs. North Carolina is already seeing this trend with migration from Rural to Urban areas. In a way, this will save the taxpayer a ton of money infrastructure and services wise. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mpretori said:

@Neo Can you do something about @Dandy Chiggens ? This is ridiculous and harassment/trolling. If not, this will be my last post. 

I’m actually slightly amused this gets under people’s skin so much lol.

14 hours ago, southslider said:

100% agree. Anytime I hear people talk about NC ‘s changing demographics and how it’ll be the next VA.

i just think how as fast and dominate the GOP becomes in rural southern areas. I mean. Literally 10 years ago, the southern states were all Democrat. Alabama was run by Dems (house, senate, or governor) along with other Deep South states up until about just 15 years ago. 

Now it’s unfathomable 

14 hours ago, mpretori said:

@Neo Can you do something about @Dandy Chiggens ? This is ridiculous and harassment/trolling. If not, this will be my last post. 

I don't recall seeing any reported posts so I'm unsure which post(s) are being referenced.

I would like to remind everyone that this is an open forum where we do not suspend, ban, etc as a result of one's opinion. If a user is breaking any rules then appropriate action will be taken but I do need the post to be reported as a result of the high activity of UP (impossible for me to go through every post for every single day).

Everyone also has the ability to hide posts from other users if they do not want to see content from that user(s).

12 minutes ago, Neo said:

I don't recall seeing any reported posts so I'm unsure which post(s) are being referenced.

I would like to remind everyone that this is an open forum where we do not suspend, ban, etc as a result of one's opinion. If a user is breaking any rules then appropriate action will be taken but I do need the post to be reported as a result of the high activity of UP (impossible for me to go through every post for every single day).

Everyone also has the ability to hide posts from other users if they do not want to see content from that user(s).

Anyone can downvote everything without impunity?