Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

They just can't stop with their games

The Hill: McConnell rips Democrats for blocking coronavirus stimulus package | TheHill.
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488946-mcconnell-rips-democrats-for-blocking-coronavirus-stimulus-package

It seemed inevitable when the white house let the gop craft a plan with no input from the other party.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, elrodvt said:

They just can't stop with their games

The Hill: McConnell rips Democrats for blocking coronavirus stimulus package | TheHill.
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488946-mcconnell-rips-democrats-for-blocking-coronavirus-stimulus-package

It seemed inevitable when the white house let the gop craft a plan with no input from the other party.

Didn't the house manage to pass a largely bi-partisan package? I'm loosing track.

On 3/17/2020 at 1:15 PM, gman430 said:

Why not just quarantine the most vulnerable people and let everybody else live their lives normally? And at least Congress is getting along: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/mcconnell-says-senate-wont-pass-coronavirus-bill-without-bold-new-steps.html

UP ahead of the curve, as always.

20 minutes ago, gman430 said:

What in the world does a windmill have to do with Coronavirus? Nancy Pelosi should be ashamed of herself for putting stupid pork like this in the bill.  :angry: 

If it wasn't for the Democrats, those laid off wouldn't be able to stay on their employers health plan and would not get unemployment for 4 months which equals to their salary.

NC unemployment is a joke at $8.75/hr on a 40 hour week. A middle class family can't survive on that.

Again coming from a libertarian, I am grateful for this in the plan as I have several friends being laid off currently. I am grateful they are coming together to get this passed. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, urbanlover568 said:

If it wasn't for the Democrats, those laid off wouldn't be able to stay on their employers health plan and would not get unemployment for 4 months which equals to their salary.

NC unemployment is a joke at $8.75/hr on a 40 hour week. A middle class family can't survive on that.

Again coming from a libertarian, I am grateful for this in the plan as I have several friends being laid off currently. I am grateful they are coming together to get this passed. 

Hopefully you take away from all this that our wages, unemployment, and healthcare benefits in the US are not livable for most people. If $8.75/40hrs isn't livable then how do you expect the "lower" class families to live on $7.25/30hrs without any health insurance?  I don't want to stir the pot too much, but everyone loves to be a libertarian when they don't currently need any help from others

Edited by JHart
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

“President Trump is a ratings hit. Since reviving the daily White House briefing Mr. Trump and his coronavirus updates have attracted an average audience of 8.5 million on cable news, roughly the viewership of the season finale of ‘The Bachelor.’ Numbers are continuing to rise..."

- President Trump Twitter comment today

On 3/24/2020 at 4:50 PM, gman430 said:

What in the world does a windmill have to do with Coronavirus? Nancy Pelosi should be ashamed of herself for putting stupid pork like this in the bill.  :angry: 

It was about conditions for a bailout, which I fully support. And I far as I can tell, albeit googling for about 5 minutes, I can't find anything about windmills that was proposed; the main thing considered as pork was the condition of airlines cutting emissions, which I think is a sensible thing if you're going to chuck money at something. Although I do agree with your insinuation that it shouldn't be a priority, I think conditions such as no stock-buy-backs or bonuses is a good idea.

What do you think about the Republicans' $500 billion "slush fund" though? See, two edged sword, not just Pelosi. 

Edited by CLT704
500 billion, not 500 million
  • Like 4