Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

It's like watching a train wreck for me. You don't want to but it's hard to look away. The problem is people actually think they're getting legitimate information.

1 hour ago, urbanlover568 said:

“President Trump is a ratings hit. Since reviving the daily White House briefing Mr. Trump and his coronavirus updates have attracted an average audience of 8.5 million on cable news, roughly the viewership of the season finale of ‘The Bachelor.’ Numbers are continuing to rise..."

- President Trump Twitter comment today

• Like 2

This kind of hits the nail on the head, for me at least:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/the-winners-and-losers-of-the-coronaviruss-global-test-of-governance/2020/03/30/f53fe19e-6f71-11ea-b148-e4ce3fbd85b5_story.html

12 hours ago, gman430 said:

Carol Baskins is the worst. 

You're talking about the big cat refuge lady? I started that show last night and it's creepy enough to entertain me for a while!

25 states now have 1,000 cases. SC just became the 25th, joining NC and 23 others.  But all 50 states now have over 100 cases.

Blue states may have more cases, but red states have faster growth.  And so there's no point in gloating on either side.  This should be a time to rediscover American exceptionalism and defeat this together.

• Like 1

Different state but...

In Kentucky the legislature just passed a voter ID bill which requires voters to get an ID from the DMV. They did not acknowledge that DMV's in Kentucky are closed for an undetermined period of time.

In a world where elected officials are intentionally preventing American's from voting, how can we still be considered to be a democracy? If you are comfortable with this level of autocracy then, as an American, you need to do some soul searching.

/steps off soapbox/

#angel loveIAmAngryAboutThisBullcrap  <this was very "autocorrected"

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, kermit said:

Different state but...

In Kentucky the legislature just passed a voter ID bill which requires voters to get an ID from the DMV. They did not acknowledge that DMV's in Kentucky are closed. How can America still be considered to be a democracy?

#angel loveIAmAngryAboutThisBullcrap  <this was very "autocorrected"

The GOP is also fighting against mail in voting. Whatever it takes to stay in charge.

No shame.

Edited by elrodvt

23 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

The GOP is also fighting against mail in voting. Whatever it takes to stay in charge.

No shame.

America really needs to shame them...

This kinda BS is not what my country is about.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

^ True, but as with gerrymandering it doesn't seem possible to change unless the party in charge has a super majority and ethics. A rare combination.

Alternatively, a state like CO which allows citizens to petition to get constitutional changes on the ballot. I've seen that work well there but it can get carried away!

On 4/1/2020 at 2:32 AM, southslider said:

25 states now have 1,000 cases. SC just became the 25th, joining NC and 23 others.  But all 50 states now have over 100 cases.

Blue states may have more cases, but red states have faster growth.  And so there's no point in gloating on either side.  This should be a time to rediscover American exceptionalism and defeat this together.

I agree with your sentiment but (pedantically) hate the term and what it has been used to justify: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_exceptionalism

20 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

^ True, but as with gerrymandering it doesn't seem possible to change unless the party in charge has a super majority and ethics.

Its time to stop shrugging that off. Lets be adults (rather than sheep), take back control,and make American a democracy again!

#revolution

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

What I read was Russia only and the US would bail out our oil industry (sigh). Where did you read Saudi?

This is discouraging if true: Salon: White House meeting erupts after Dr. Fauci knocks Trump's promotion of untested Hydroxychloroquine.
https://www.salon.com/2020/04/05/white-house-meeting-erupts-after-dr-fauci-knocks-trumps-promotion-of-untested-hydroxychloroquine_partner/

I'm all in though as long as Trump and Pence are the test cases. :tw_mask:

On 4/5/2020 at 11:02 PM, elrodvt said:

What I read was Russia only and the US would bail out our oil industry (sigh). Where did you read Saudi?

This is discouraging if true: Salon: White House meeting erupts after Dr. Fauci knocks Trump's promotion of untested Hydroxychloroquine.
https://www.salon.com/2020/04/05/white-house-meeting-erupts-after-dr-fauci-knocks-trumps-promotion-of-untested-hydroxychloroquine_partner/

I'm all in though as long as Trump and Pence are the test cases. :tw_mask:

Since its generic versions are dirt cheap (my wife takes it for Rheumatoid), it's old as Methuselah, and the side effects are well known, what could anyone possibly have against physicians prescribing this drug? Are we now saying that not only us plebs, but also highly skilled physicians have to wait for the OK from the government experts? For the use of an old treatment?

It's this kind of behavior that makes people think that Fauci, et al are shills for drug companies.

So you might want to add to your last line: "provided that they are susceptible to the drug's worst side-effects."

Edited by Exile
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Exile said:

Since its generic versions are dirt cheap (my wife takes it for Rheumatoid), it's old as Methuselah, and the side effects are well known, what could anyone possibly have against physicians prescribing this drug? Are we now saying that not only us plebs, but also highly skilled physicians have to wait for the OK from the government experts? For the use of an old treatment?

It's this kind of behavior that makes people think that Fauci, et al are shills for drug companies.

So you might want to add to your last line: "provided that they are susceptible to the drug's worst side-effects."

Because supply is currently limited and there are people (like your wife) who must have the drug for other reasons. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, kermit said:

Because supply is currently limited and there are people (like your wife) who must have the drug for other reasons. 

If what you're saying is true, one wonders if the supply will remain limited in favor of more expensive, patentable, drugs.

And I would cheer a generic manufacturer who stepped up production of it in order to meet increased demand.

48 minutes ago, Exile said:

If what you're saying is true, one wonders if the supply will remain limited in favor of more expensive, patentable, drugs.

And I would cheer a generic manufacturer who stepped up production of it in order to meet increased demand.

Even though it's not been shown scientifically effective (so far) you think producers will ramp production? Randomized and peer reviewed trials take time. Yes, doctors prescribe things off label all the time. If someone is almost surely going to die, the drug is plentiful, and unlikely to cause worse harm (pain, faster death) then why not? There is already a method for that known as compassionate use. It's been opened up quite a bit over the last few decades.

Inventing and then producing drugs is a complicated process and most drugs fail to be effective or are too toxic for human use.

Sigh..... As for the patent drug comment i'll just say it takes all types of people to make the world spin. I bet Jim Baker still has some of that silver stuff he'll sell you. Anyone who takes a drug like that and then has deformed children, cancer, stroke etc... Should have signed an iron clad waiver holding the mfg, Dr and hospital blameless. Plus their health care provider should not be asked to pay for the treatment or dealing with any side effects to that treatment. Reckless stuff by and large.

Maybe some would like to read this:

The Guardian: Donald Trump's drugs 'to help Boris Johnson' not tested against coronavirus.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/07/donald-trumps-drugs-to-help-boris-johnson-not-tested-against-coronavirus

Edited by elrodvt

2 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Even though it's not been shown scientifically effective (so far) you think producers will ramp production? Randomized and peer reviewed trials take time. Yes, doctors prescribe things off label all the time. If someone is almost surely going to die, the drug is plentiful, and unlikely to cause worse harm (pain, faster death) then why not? There is already a method for that known as compassionate use. It's been opened up quite a bit over the last few decades.

Inventing and then producing drugs is a complicated process and most drugs fail to be effective or are too toxic for human use.

Sigh..... As for the patent drug comment i'll just say it takes all types of people to make the world spin. I bet Jim Baker still has some of that silver stuff he'll sell you. Anyone who takes a drug like that and then has deformed children, cancer, stroke etc... Should have signed an iron clad waiver holding the mfg, Dr and hospital blameless. Plus their health care provider should not be asked to pay for the treatment or dealing with any side effects to that treatment. Reckless stuff by and large.

Maybe some would like to read this:

The Guardian: Donald Trump's drugs 'to help Boris Johnson' not tested against coronavirus.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/07/donald-trumps-drugs-to-help-boris-johnson-not-tested-against-coronavirus

I don't think you have to wait till "compassionate use" kicks in. And in fact lots of physicians aren't and are reporting remarkably positive results.

I actually don't expect anyone to ramp up production of it. Call it a hypothetical. That's why I used "would cheer." If I expected it to happen, I would have written "will cheer." Basic English language.

As for your Jim Bakker comment, LOL. (Had to look that one up; I must confess I thought he had died.)

I came across good ole Jim on "last week tonight" I think.

A long time ago , when I was working second shift and living in a rural place with only a few channels I used to watch Tammy Fae crying her eyes out for entertainment on late night tv.

A Dr can do what they want but if it's not justified by scientific studies the person's insurance won't pay and he or she may eventually have their license to practice revoked. People are not lab rats and this isn't the 1850's wild west. Then there are the inevitable law suits.  Don't get me wrong it would be great if some of these compounds help with treatment. But it should be proved using standard methods that can help others before it's recommended for anything but compassionate use/sugar pill.

Thanks for your English lesson that was a valuable contribution. Is your point that you would cheer companies which you are a share holder in go on Don Quixote missions to make excesses of drugs which are more than likely ineffective?

Btw, did you read the article in the guardian? I thought it was well done.