Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

14 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Trump should be ashamed of himself. THIS ISN'T RUSSIA OR CHINA! What fool would put money into a program with no oversight. 

Trump Ousts Pandemic Spending Watchdog Known for Independence

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-watchdog-glenn-fine.html

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 4:20 PM, elrodvt said:

I came across good ole Jim on "last week tonight" I think.

A long time ago , when I was working second shift and living in a rural place with only a few channels I used to watch Tammy Fae crying her eyes out for entertainment on late night tv.

A Dr can do what they want but if it's not justified by scientific studies the person's insurance won't pay and he or she may eventually have their license to practice revoked. People are not lab rats and this isn't the 1850's wild west. Then there are the inevitable law suits.  Don't get me wrong it would be great if some of these compounds help with treatment. But it should be proved using standard methods that can help others before it's recommended for anything but compassionate use/sugar pill.

Thanks for your English lesson that was a valuable contribution. Is your point that you would cheer companies which you are a share holder in go on Don Quixote missions to make excesses of drugs which are more than likely ineffective?

Btw, did you read the article in the guardian? I thought it was well done.

I did read the article. Not being a Trumper, I couldn't care less what he does or recommends for Boris Johnson. I'm sure the latter is well taken care of. Anyway, "discounted" by some; affirmed by others. You and I differ on who to believe.

But, in the absence of a scientific study, for a licensed physician to prescribe, for a viral infection, an anti-viral drug that can now be bought generic and whose side effects are well-documented is hardly making lab rats of people or 1850's wild west. It's not likely to induce lawsuits either. All that's a pretty big stretch. To the breaking point, really.

As for your question about why I might cheer drug companies, you forgot also to ask, "And when did you stop beating your wife?" LOL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Nah, the dems are behaving quite rationally based on the playbook laid out by the GOP during the Obama years -- the party that is obstructionist in congress wins big come election time.

(and I'll add that subsidies for small business are pretty pointless if they come at the cost of democracy)

• Like 2

Politico discusses how mail in ballots are central to the GOP get out the vote strategy in Florida. Lets make it happen everywhere! No need for people to risk their lives to vote. Plus, the Donald does it!

Lets make life safer for all of us. Time to make NC a vote by mail state!

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/04/08/trump-condemns-vote-by-mail-but-the-florida-gop-is-counting-on-it-to-win-1274007

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

@Exile, take what you want. If your really selfish enough to take a drug from the hands of someone who actually needs it for a well established reason and can still sleep at night. I have a family member who relies on it and is getting very concerned the next refill won't be possible.

You missed the point on the drug companies. Since they're all? public they would be open to shareholder suits for making an investment, which is likely to be a loser, or at least has no credible research saying it will succeed. Not that I care personally and could be wrong.

To think that a non scientist in the field gets to choose whom to believe is as silly as the people who believe some tv weatherman in Texas over numerous peer reviewed climate studies.

Guess this is beat to death. 

• Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-dangerous-conservative-campaign-against-expertise/2020/04/09/604d10e6-7a95-11ea-a130-df573469f094_story.html

This is a good editorial worth reading. I've never really understood how science and expertise in general became an enemy of the GOP.  The cynic in me has bad thoughts that these people don't actually believe what they say. Not sure though...

35 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

One thing I’m glad about is the RNC continuing to move forward for Charlotte.  It honestly will be an economic help that it looks like Milkwaukee will not get since the DNC seems almost certain to move to a remotely held Convention.

Looks like they’re planning to have the DNC in person in Milwaukee after all (Moved to Aug. 17th).  Answered my own comment...

76061517-29EE-4FF1-A10B-7AF87D7FEA5E.png

• Like 2