Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

Donald Trump has the most damaged psyche anyone could imagine. His insecurity and cruelty has been on display for a lifetime. He has no friends in the sense of the word anyone here would understand. He has no principles, none. What is most damaging is that there are those who enable him, who are drawn to him and support him. They are the cause of this darkness.

Check, please.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, kermit said:

Another view on all the right wing pearl clutching about the USPS loosing money. Given that the recent decline is entirely a product of very unusual retirement plan funding requirements imposed by the GOP I would say they are doing pretty good.

A5F6C588-DA67-4850-8889-350D583B1A9F.png

Can we stop these hysteria conspiracy theories? First it was trump claiming a rigged election in 2016, then it was the democrats claiming Russia hijacked the election. Now it's Democrats claiming a rigged election.  Both sides are acting like elementary schoolers at this point and it's embarrassing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, kermit said:

Here is a recording  of donald on national tv saying he is withholding funds from the post office in order to suppress votes. In light of this recording, please explain how am I being hysterical or promoting conspiracy theories.

Nobody's stopping you from going to the polling place. "there's no reason' in-person voting shouldn't be safe with masks and proper social distancing" - Dr. Fauci.  Both parties are a embarrassment at this point and it's disgusting. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Nobody's stopping you from going to the polling place. "there's no reason' in-person voting shouldn't be safe with masks and proper social distancing" - Dr. Fauci.  Both parties are a embarrassment at this point and it's disgusting. 

Voting by mail is legal. Donald admitted, on national tv, that he is exploiting his political position to suppress people who may choose to exercise their legal right to vote that way (during a pandemic!). That aint kosher. 

Again, how am I being paranoid or hysterical? 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

I'm not sure your point urbanlover568?

It is quite dangerous for people who have compromised immune systems to "just go to the polling place".

Does it make sense to you that we totally revamp the post office during an epidemic when people are relying on the mail more than ever?

I think the president told the truth for once and has been running backwards ever since. It's unforgivable.

Additionally,  yes both parties stink, but only 1 party has made it their mission to suppress the vote however possible. ID requirement etc which they keep losing in court over. We have pitiful turnout as it is and with them creating more and more confusion it's bound to get those who're too lazy or ignorant to cast a vote an excuse not to.   Evidently the calculation is that is more likely to keep away the minority vote and thus favor the GOP. Ironically, in FL, which they desperately need to carry, appears to be having the opposite effect. Poetic justice.

Finally, the whole mail in vote narritive is bullcrap, In CO we loved the convenience and efficiency of every registered voter being mailed a ballot. Republican and Democratic secretaries of state in the areas with mail in all attest to no increase in fraudulent votes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Is that right?

The GOP is recruiting 50,000 monitors, typically party activists and specially appointed volunteers, across 15 battleground states. Meanwhile, the party has filed, or intervened in, lawsuits challenging election rules across the country, including cases in battleground states like Nevada, Wisconsin, and Florida over laws related to absentee ballots and voting by mail.

Republicans say they are focused on preventing the fraud they have long maintained, without evidence, is rampant in U.S. elections. Democrats and voting rights groups fear the planned influx of poll watchers under the imprimatur of the RNC is a veiled effort to suppress Democratic turnout, particularly in minority communities.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kermit said:

Voting by mail is legal. Donald admitted, on national tv, that he is exploiting his political position to suppress people who may choose to exercise their legal right to vote that way (during a pandemic!). That aint kosher. 

Again, how am I being paranoid or hysterical? 

Whose suppressing you from going to your polling place? 

6 hours ago, eastsider said:

Is that right?

Did you not forget about this? https://www.npr.org/2019/07/30/746800630/north-carolina-gop-operative-faces-new-felony-charges-that-allege-ballot-fraud

6 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I'm not sure your point urbanlover568?

It is quite dangerous for people who have compromised immune systems to "just go to the polling place".

Does it make sense to you that we totally revamp the post office during an epidemic when people are relying on the mail more than ever?

I think the president told the truth for once and has been running backwards ever since. It's unforgivable.

Additionally,  yes both parties stink, but only 1 party has made it their mission to suppress the vote however possible. ID requirement etc which they keep losing in court over. We have pitiful turnout as it is and with them creating more and more confusion it's bound to get those who're too lazy or ignorant to cast a vote an excuse not to.   Evidently the calculation is that is more likely to keep away the minority vote and thus favor the GOP. Ironically, in FL, which they desperately need to carry, appears to be having the opposite effect. Poetic justice.

Finally, the whole mail in vote narritive is bullcrap, In CO we loved the convenience and efficiency of every registered voter being mailed a ballot. Republican and Democratic secretaries of state in the areas with mail in all attest to no increase in fraudulent votes. 

Moving the goalposts from universal mail voting to those who are ill I see... I believe we already have a mail system in place for those individuals called the absentee ballot. 

"there's no reason' in-person voting shouldn't be safe with masks and proper social distancing"  - Dr. Fauci

2 hours ago, urbanlover568 said:

Whose suppressing you from going to your polling place? 

Quit moving the goalposts and answer my question: how is my concern about the post office hysteria?

States make election law, not the president. All 50 states have legalized some form of mail-in voting, but donald explicitly SAYS  that he is trying to suppress vote by mail. That ain't legal. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, kermit said:

You still haven”t answered my question.

States make election law, not the president. All 50 states have legalized some form of mail-in voting, but donald explicitly SAYS  that he is trying to suppress vote by mail. That ain't legal. 

I can get a absentee ballot.  I can also go to my polling place on election day if i choose to do that and not go the absentee route. Are you prohibited from going to your polling place? You first wanted universal mail voting, then you changed it to those with " compromised immune systems". Again, it's called the absentee ballot. 

1 hour ago, urbanlover568 said:

Early voting IS absentee voting LMAO. Calling trump a Dictator. The hysterics are laughable. 

Call it whatever you want. The point remains that in NC it is legal to vote by mail, in person early and in person on election day. Anything done to make any of those options more difficult without legislation at the state level  is an infringement of our constitutional right to vote, as such those actions could reasonably be described as dictator-like.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1