Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

8 minutes ago, LvninATLviaCLT said:

Y'all youngsters in here have no real life experiences of seeing a dictator. Like during the cold war. Anyways im neutral and independent minded and trust me potus is no dictator lol. Voter suppression is not happening, the cut backs at usps were enacted during the Obama administration. These closings and removing of sorting machines has been going on for 10 years and were already pre planed. The press and the hard left are just throwing smoke in mirrors and Trump is doing what he does and that's trolling it. Btw i know what i speak of i work at the postal service. Y'all open your eyes and minds and don't be so quick to yell fire in a crowded theater 

Yall do a fantastic job btw. Always a smile and fantastic customer service. 

31 minutes ago, kermit said:

Are you OK with donald disenfranchising overseas military voters? 

Couldn’t help but laugh at this little “concern troll.”

I can assure you as someone who spent about a third of my life in the military and knowing the general political preferences of military individuals, the last thing that Trump wants to do is disenfranchise military voters.  That would be an utter disregard of self interest on his part.  

The military has been doing absentee ballot voting for decades.  Believe me, military members know to get their vote in well in advance.  The military will be fine.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

I did. You apparently didn't see the link or didn't want to acknowledge it. #Hysteria 

i asked you several questions and you did not answer.  That's a fact. 

Others have made factual comments you also did not address.

Just childish hashtags and meme's. Whatever....

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I can assure you as someone who spent about a third of my life in the military and knowing the general political preferences of military individuals, the last thing that Trump wants to do is disenfranchise military voters.  That would be an utter disregard of self interest on his part.  

The military has been doing absentee ballot voting for decades.  Believe me, military members know to get their vote in well in advance.  The military will be fine.

He seems to be illogical at times though. Fl for example, the senior vote tilts republican. Yet he started by saying mail in should not happen anywhere. Evidently someone then explained this to him and he backtracked saying that in FL it was ok because they have a great system. Kinda funny. At least it made me laugh.

The military ballots don't come via USPS though do they? I assumed they had their own methods but don't know anything about it...

51 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

Call it whatever you want, it was en effort to get urbanlover to respond to his ridiculous statement that the loss of mail in voting was not voter suppression just because “no one is stopping you from voting in person”.

In hindsight it was wasted effort.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kermit said:

Call it whatever you want, it was en effort to get urbanlover to respond to his ridiculous statement that the loss of mail in voting was not voter suppression just because “no one is stopping you from voting in person”.

In hindsight it was wasted effort.

I'll let you know how my absentee ballot process goes. I don't think anyone will stop me at the post office door. They are hard workers and have fantastic customer service. Please read the response below from a actual employee. 

1 hour ago, LvninATLviaCLT said:

Y'all youngsters in here have no real life experiences of seeing a dictator. Like during the cold war. Anyways im neutral and independent minded and trust me potus is no dictator lol. Voter suppression is not happening, the cut backs at usps were enacted during the Obama administration. These closings and removing of sorting machines has been going on for 10 years and were already pre planed. The press and the hard left are just throwing smoke in mirrors and Trump is doing what he does and that's trolling it. Btw i know what i speak of i work at the postal service. Y'all open your eyes and minds and don't be so quick to yell fire in a crowded theater 

Donald Trump is such a hateful human being who has done great damage to the US (and the planet generally). 

I was a rock-solid Republican for my entire life until he appeared.  I'm certainly not voting for a Democrat, but I didn't vote for Trump and won't vote for Trump, or his enablers, ever.  Hope I'm not the only one.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cityplanner said:

Donald Trump is such a hateful human being who has done great damage to the US (and the planet generally). 

I was a rock-solid Republican for my entire life until he appeared.  I'm certainly not voting for a Democrat, but I didn't vote for Trump and won't vote for Trump, or his enablers, ever.  Hope I'm not the only one.

We will see. I'm independent, with no affiliation. both sides are playing into hysterics while millions suffering. I hope down the road a 3rd party will rise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, urbanlover568 said:

I'll let you know how my absentee ballot process goes. I don't think anyone will stop me at the post office door. They are hard workers and have fantastic customer service. Please read the response below from a actual employee. 

Nothing to see here folks, Move along.  

I lived in a country that had a true dictator (Pinochet), and I can tell you that both had/has his followers as well.  It's the followers who are worrisome to me.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

I lived in a country that had a true dictator (Pinochet), and I can tell you that both had/has his followers as well.  It's the followers who are worrisome to me.

Apropos: I saw my first Q anon bumper sticker in the wild. Of course it was draped with an American flag.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Windsurfer said:

While, for example, the people in Belarus risk their lives to  gain freedom here in the USA people are willing to give up more and more freedom for the republican elixir of a 2 point tax cut and good old southern dog whistle racist politics.  The naivete is appalling. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

While, for example, the people in Belarus risk their lives to  gain freedom here in the USA people are willing to give up more and more freedom for the republican elixir of a 2 point tax cut and good old southern dog whistle racist politics.  The naivete is appalling. 

2016 election:

• absentee ballot
  • polling station

2020 election:

• absentee ballot
  • polling station

Tax cut = BAD. We need higher taxes like California, the same state people are fleeing. 

11 hours ago, elrodvt said:

What freedoms exactly, are people willing to give up for the republican elixir of the two point tax cut and racist dog whistle politics?  Or perhaps a better question is what freedoms is the left trying to imbue us with that are really worth having?  The only freedoms that the left seems to espouse these days is the freedom for a bunch of angry and often privileged white kids to scream and shout at people, tear down statues, and riot and the right for a woman to eliminate her unborn child no questions asked.  Outside that there are not too many freedoms the left as a whole-political and/or cultural left-won’t try to diminish or in some cases even outright deny.  If you are concerned about losing freedoms, you should probably look into walking away from the left.

Remember it was Bernie Sanders who heaped adulation on the Soviet Union.  It is Karen Bass who provided aid to the Castro regime, who gave a eulogy for one of the leaders of Communist Party USA and who also happened to be on the shortlist for Biden’s VP.  It is the BLM founders who have loudly and proudly claimed their status as trained Marxists.  It was the left who came to within a step of a full-throated rebuke of Donald Trump and a quasi martyring of Iranian general Qasem Soleimani when Donald Trump ordered the strike against him.  If you don’t see the lurch of the left toward more totalitarian heroes/ideals and if you instead think the Republicans are the ones with a freedom problem, then you sir, are the one who is being naive.

With respect to this racist dog-whistle schtick, let me remind you what exists on the left side of the political spectrum.  Exhibit A is Democratic Congresswoman Ilhan Omar who won the 2019 AntiSemite of the Year award, beating white nationalist Richard Spencer.  Then there is her friend and fellow squad member Democratic Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib who helps to ensure Omar doesn’t have to bear the weight of the antisemitic torch alone.  There’s also the white antiracists who, in their effort to stamp out racism, shout and scream  derogatory slurs and racial epithets at black cops.  Of course if that wasn’t enough you have at the top of the Democratic ticket, a guy who suggests that there’s little diversity in the black community, and that, if you’re black and you don’t vote for him then perhaps “You Ain’t Black.”  So racism is not the exclusive domain of the right; however, you just keep on turning that gas light down and tell yourself it’s not getting any darker.

Links embedded in the text so you don’t have to take my word for it.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, urbanlover568 said:

Early voting IS absentee voting LMAO. Calling trump a Dictator. The hysterics are laughable. 

He only wishes he were. He's not even a leader.

Imagine you could only pay taxes on April 15th at your ZIP code's post office, that's like only voting on election day at your polling place. Now add paying taxes before April 15th, but still limited by post offices, and that's early voting. But why not just online or any mailbox?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, southslider said:

He only wishes he were. He's not even a leader.

Imagine you could only pay taxes on April 15th at your ZIP code's post office, that's like only voting on election day at your polling place. Now add paying taxes before April 15th, but still limited by post offices, and that's early voting. But why not just online or any mailbox?

Did the dates for the absentee ballot change from 2016 to 2020? No. More hysteria I guess. 

7 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

What freedoms exactly, are people willing to give up for the republican elixir of the two point tax cut and racist dog whistle politics? 

Please stop calling things "dog whistle politics".

Donald Trump is an overt racist.  Period.  He doesn't need to "dog whistle" to attract racist supporters to his racist views.

So are some people on the left; do their constant bashing of "white males" and anti-Semitic statements indicate anything other than disdain for members of a specific demographic group?  (Note: only some on the left are that way; I believe that an overwhelming majority of people on the left are well-meaning people who truly care about all.)

So there's overt racism out there.  Donald Trump is the most overt racist, but anti-Semitism (Ilhan Omar), bashing of "white males" and more are all bigotry.

"Dog whistle" is a term that is applied by people on the left to deem any Republican policy that they don't like to be racist, as ridiculous as that description is.  For example, when Donald Trump proposed requiring that Federal buildings be neo-Classical architecture ,that was considered a racist "dog whistle", to appeal to white people who were nostalgic for days of slavery (seriously).  

So if you see racism, call it out.  But "dog whistle" is just a slur that is thrown at policies that Democrats dislike, so I ignore that slur.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cityplanner said:

Please stop calling things "dog whistle politics".

Donald Trump is an overt racist.  Period.  He doesn't need to "dog whistle" to attract racist supporters to his racist views.

So are some people on the left; do their constant bashing of "white males" and anti-Semitic statements indicate anything other than disdain for members of a specific demographic group?  (Note: only some on the left are that way; I believe that an overwhelming majority of people on the left are well-meaning people who truly care about all.)

So there's overt racism out there.  Donald Trump is the most overt racist, but anti-Semitism (Ilhan Omar), bashing of "white males" and more are all bigotry.

"Dog whistle" is a term that is applied by people on the left to deem any Republican policy that they don't like to be racist, as ridiculous as that description is.  For example, when Donald Trump proposed requiring that Federal buildings be neo-Classical architecture ,that was considered a racist "dog whistle", to appeal to white people who were nostalgic for days of slavery (seriously).  

So if you see racism, call it out.  But "dog whistle" is just a slur that is thrown at policies that Democrats dislike, so I ignore that slur.

People call Trump a Homophobe, but I have yet to see that. I can hold my husbands hand in Israel and the US, but if I do that in Iran or any sharia controlled territory, I would be executed. Because I don't support the Democrats with everything, I have also been called a "self hating F**t". This is exactly why im independent. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

...Or perhaps a better question is what freedoms is the left trying to imbue us with that are really worth having?  The only freedoms that the left seems to espouse these days is the freedom for a bunch of angry and often privileged white kids to scream and shout at people...

this sure does look like you are saying freedom of speech is not worth having. Do you really believe that?

Edited by kermit

2 hours ago, urbanlover568 said:

People call Trump a Homophobe, but I have yet to see that. I can hold my husbands hand in Israel and the US, but if I do that in Iran or any sharia controlled territory, I would be executed. Because I don't support the Democrats with everything, I have also been called a "self hating F**t". This is exactly why im independent. 

Trump may or may not be homophobic, I assume that no one on this board has a direct answer to that and I'm not sure how relevant Trump's personal opinions on these issues are anyway.  The issue here isn't really whether or not Trump himself is homophobic - it's whether or not his administration promotes and/or enacts pro or anti-LGBTQ policies. 

To that point, from banning trans people in the military, to allowing federal funds to go to adoption agencies that reject LGBTQ applicants outright, to presenting an amicus brief in support of allowing workplace discrimination and the firing of LGBTQ people without cause, to the unprecedented number of federal judges with extensively documented anti-LGBTQ bias...I think the administration's position on these issues has been pretty firmly established. In fact, here's a more extensive list of the Trump administrations anti-LGBTQ actions if you're interested: https://www.hrc.org/news/the-list-of-trumps-unprecedented-steps-for-the-lgbtq-community

And when comparing treatments of LGBTQ people in the US and Iran, don't forget that homosexual conduct done in private (let alone in public) was illegal in many places in the US until 2003 when the Supreme Court decided that outlawing homosexual conduct was unconstitutional in Lawrence v. Texas.  Note that the majority of Republican-appointed justices dissented from that opinion. Further, when legalizing gay marriage in Obergfell v. Hodges, only one Republican-appointed justice joined the Democratic-appointed justices in providing the slimmest of margins to legalize gay marriage throughout the US. 

It should go without saying that no one should throw slurs at you for not supporting the Democrats on every issue, and your independent political affiliation is your prerogative, but it seems to me that you may be taking for granted that the US and Iran are very different places with respect to LGBTQ issues. There are plenty of people fighting very hard every day roll back the freedoms and rights that have been recognized for LGBTQ people in this country - the relevant question is who is empowering these regressive fighters and who is fighting against them. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, kermit said:

this sure does look like you are saying freedom of speech is not worth having. Do you really believe that?

Are you suggesting the left is on the side of free speech in this country???

:rofl:

seriously, if you believe that then I have some ocean front property in Arizona that’s for sale.  I’ll give you a great price.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

Are you suggesting the left is on the side of free speech in this country???

:rofl:

seriously, if you believe that then I have some ocean front property in Arizona that’s for sale.  I’ll give you a great price.

I directly asked if I interpreted what you wrote correctly.

Edited by kermit

28 minutes ago, kermit said:

I was asking if I interpreted what you typed correctly. 

With the implication being that the left is trying to imbue us all with free speech, and to which I replied do you actually believe the left is on the side of free speech. Unless you want to try to argue that’s not actually the implication in your post, in which case I’d love to see you push such a notion.

Your turn, sir.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

Yes with the implication being that the left is trying to imbue us all with free speech, and to which I replied do you actually believe the left is on the side of free speech. Unless you want to try to argue that’s not actually the implication in your post, in which case I’d love to see you push such a notion.

Your turn, sir.

I don't understand your argument here, I am trying to understand your opinion on free speech, not the perspective of left or right.

To paraphase, you said the left isn't trying to push for any freedom worth having. Then you gave the example of free speech (for a specific group of people) as one of those things that is not worth having. I was surprised by  that, and thought I may have misinterpreted your post -- thus my question.

Am I correct in thinking that you don't believe that free speech for all is a constitutional right worth having?

Edited by kermit