Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

5 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Yah I don’t know about blips. It’s not 70s level activity but major cities are seeing increasing crime across the board. Chicago is on pace to break almost all of their records. Murder rates are up an average of 24% in the top 10 major cities. If these trends continue, we will start seeing a major urban flight. In fact we already are in Chicago and New York 

Looks like folks are picking up and leaving NYC. Kinda what happens when taxes are sky high, rent is high, and shops/entertainment close down

• Like 1

15 hours ago, urbanlover568 said:

Follow-up:

Woman charged after video shows theft of boy's MAGA hat, sign ripped in Wilmington

cruelty is everywhere. Some communities have more than most: 

Republicans don’t care if you live or die.
Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, kermit said:

cruelty is everywhere. Some places have more than most: 

Kinda like wasting officer's time for a staged kidnaping for votes? Why bother though, calling cops comes from a place of "privilege" J Mai wants to get rid of all that and let the murders, rapists, and arsonists free. No more bond, jails, or officers. All brought to you by the DNC. 

2 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ did it ever occur to you that using stories of individuals to counter examples of the majority of republicans (hundreds of thousands of people on the right) being good with 170,000 deaths or kids in cages may not be an effective rhetorical strategy?

The majority of Republicans don't care if you live or die.

Is that what the question was? All you read of the question was "orange man bad"

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0899764018804088

5 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ did it ever occur to you that using stories of individuals to counter examples of the majority of republicans (hundreds of thousands of people on the right) being good with 170,000 deaths or kids in cages may not be an effective rhetorical strategy?

The majority of Republicans don't care if you live or die.

I would like your opinion on this gentlemen's statement(Video Below)

I think the protest speaker brought up a argument that should be talked about. The protest speaker told the white resident that they are occupying former black occupied land. South Africa is applying the same principal and seizing white-owned land, that was formerly black owned, without compensation and redistributing to the black population. They are in the process is changing their constitution to make this happen. 

"Take That, Colonizer: South Africa to Seize All White-Owned Land"

https://www.ebony.com/news/south-africa-reparations-white-land/

2 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Do you support land confiscation without compensation(South African model) for current white occupants who reside in historically black neighborhoods?

I don't support a political party which is responsible for most of 170,000 needless american deaths and the highest unemployment since the Great Depression.

• Like 2

Just now, kermit said:

I don't support a political party which is responsible for most of 170,000 needless american deaths and the highest unemployment since the Great Depression.

Here is the question again:

Do you support land confiscation without compensation(South African model) for current white occupants who reside in historically black neighborhoods?

1 minute ago, urbanlover568 said:

Here is my response again:

Just now, kermit said:

Here is my response again:

Answer: Yes or No

• Haha 1

Just now, nakers2 said:

Man, this red herring fish fry is sure getting underway.

Here it the question for you

Answer: Yes or No

Just now, elrodvt said:

@Kermit

DONT FEED THE TROLL. Cltmob at least presented a cognitive argument for the conservative position. This dude is just teenage mimes and insults. 0 substance.

Just now, cltheel.sdl said:

I think it's ok to say that Trump's response to the COVID pandemic has been extremely poor, ineffective, and damaging both from a public health and economic perspective, AND land confiscation/redistribution is a radical, insane position that should not be accepted in a civil democratic society.  But then again I'm a moderate who thinks there are radical morons on both sides of the political spectrum.  People need to learn how to compromise and realize this isn't a zero-sum game.  Very alarmed by the extremism in our society today.

South Africa is the economic engine of Africa and a 1st world country and they implemented this. This can be implemented in the United States with constitutional changes like South Africa is doing. 

1 hour ago, urbanlover568 said:

South Africa is the economic engine of Africa and a 1st world country and they implemented this. This can be implemented in the United States with constitutional changes like South Africa is doing. 

I agree that land confiscation without proper compensation has no place in civilized society.  It sounds like this is under consideration in South Africa, which would be a pretty radical move bordering on Bolshevism.  I think race-based reparations are a slippery slope and would only further societal unrest and discontent.  I'm in favor of "hand-up" initiatives and opposed to "hand-out" reparations.   I believe in incentivizing the right behavior rather than giving away free stuff.  With that being said, I think Trump's inflammatory rhetoric/actions will further escalate societal discontent that would make radical responses much more likely.  

• Thanks 1

^You do realize the people who own that land in part confiscated it from the native population right? Is it theirs?

I agree it's a very difficult topic but to say they cannot be compensated is not fair.

Regarding the US that is a different situation as the people deserving of compensation for their slavery did not ever own land (except american Indians which  is different). I have no idea of what a fair solution would be but I can say that eliminating the racist policies our government has fostered, such as for mortgages, needs to stop and in fact be reversed for some period of time. i.e. subsidized mortgages and no "red-lining" keeping minorities out of our lilly white suburbs (as the demonstrably racist Trump would like). 

2 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

^You do realize the people who own that land in part confiscated it from the native population right? Is it theirs?

I agree it's a very difficult topic but to say they cannot be compensated is not fair.

Regarding the US that is a different situation as the people deserving of compensation for their slavery did not ever own land (except american Indians which  is different). I have no idea of what a fair solution would be but I can say that eliminating the racist policies our government has fostered, such as for mortgages, needs to stop and in fact be reversed for some period of time. i.e. subsidized mortgages and no "red-lining" keeping minorities out of our lilly white suburbs (as the demonstrably racist Trump would like). 

The issue in South Africa is that the government is saying they can seize land without paying for it.  There is no place in a civilized democratic society for the government to seize land without proper compensation.  That is a communistic-style position to take and no wonder current landowners are feeling helpless.  Beyond that, none of the current landowners in SA were alive when their ancestors "seized" the land over 100 years ago (also, land has traded from those who "seized" to new owners since then), nor were those who would receive seized land.   The ship has sailed on that at this point.

I hear you on the 100 years and you cannot just take people's homes. Perhaps a nationwide tax to compensate the harmed with money & subsidies, not property, is possible?

That's basically what needs to be discussed here as well. Subsidized loans and education. I can't see it happening though given the South and the larger number of people who think nothing wrong happened.

On 8/24/2020 at 12:18 AM, elrodvt said:

Part of the problem with reparations is determining who is actually eligible.  There are descendants of Africans in the United States who were never slaves and some who owned slaves.  I like what Asheville is proposing but I wouldn't call it "reparations".   The time for "reparations" ended 155 years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

Guys come on... responding to him is just making him feel validity. This jerk isn't worth the time it takes to try to reason with him.

internet-troll-640x320.jpg

67226f8dc59391882c756e1d6f85d9ce975fa374_00.gif

giphy.gif

dontfeedtrollsTW.gif

What a intelligent reply. Instead of posting a rebuttal, you label those who don't agree with you as "trolls". "This jerk isn't worth the time it takes to try to reason with him." but posts about it. You're  a joke.