Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

6 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Is it Trump or Nancy who is sacrificing them? Seems like trump will sign a bill for Bailing out the airlines, and giving more $1,200 checks. Whole thing is ridiculous, and shows how far over the edge on both sides the politicians have gone. People need help. 

I think Trump was upset that Pelosi's bill had two things he didn't like. one was a marijuana banking amendment and the other was to close the tax loophole he used to pay 750 dollar in taxes from. 

• Like 1

@Blue_Devil, read the article below if you have time and see if you have a change of heart. FWIW, It's pretty obvious to me (to be fair I'm an admitted progressive) who the bad actors are here. Suggesting neither side is willing to negotiate is not true and it's obvious to me who is primarily culpable here.  Are the Democrats partly to blame? Sure. But they have tried to negotiate since May and actually have cards laid down on the table. The GOP is not unified and thus has no proposal of their own.

I just don't get the political calculus  though. It seems like a real loser for the GOP. Although,  I guess that assumes people are actually following the issue and not just sticking with their ” side”?

The Hill: Senate Republicans rip new White House coronavirus proposal | TheHill.
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/520489-senate-republicans-rip-new-white-house-coronavirus-proposal

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, kermit said:

I knew Donald trashed voter's views on morality forever, but this genuinely surprised me. I guess this political scandal was more comical (and harmless) than most.

https://twitter.com/JMilesColeman/status/1315750890939318272?s=20

I think the way to read this is that Trump is crashing big time and hurting down ballot candidates as he goes. The plumit in his polling after the debate and covid issue is pretty remarkable.

1 hour ago, kermit said:

I knew Donald trashed voter's views on morality forever, but this genuinely surprised me. I guess this political scandal was more comical (and harmless) than most.

https://twitter.com/JMilesColeman/status/1315750890939318272?s=20

I'm shocked. SurveyUSA is a well regarded pollster, too. The stats are bizarre if you read into the poll report - it appears Cunningham's big advantage is... well, men.  https://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/news/state/nccapitol/2020/10/12/19332468/PollPrint-DMID1-5ohw9o5y4.pdf

(don't blame me, I voted for Erica Smith)

1 hour ago, gman430 said:
On 10/16/2020 at 2:35 PM, urbanlover568 said:

Amy Coney Barrett refused to say whether same sex marriage ruling was right and whether to say anti-sodomy laws were legal. This is horrifying! 

I think it’s beautiful. :wub:

Well well well what have we here? In one post we see both sides of the coin of modern American Conservatism: the idiot and the asshole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TCLT said:

Well well well what have we here? In one post we see both sides of the coin of modern American Conservatism: the idiot and the asshole.

Yes, because obviously anyone who doesn't share the same views as you is either an idiot or a-hole. 

As a moderate conservative, it has always been my opinion that the federal government doesn't have any business regulating who can and can't get married.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, nicholas said:

Yes, because obviously anyone who doesn't share the same views as you is either an idiot or a-hole. 

As a moderate conservative, it has always been my opinion that the federal government doesn't have any business regulating who can and can't get married.

You don't think someone making fun of someone else's sexual preferences is being an a-hole? Do you really mean that? 

You don't think the other party has continued to be unable to follow this thread and post without dumb memes? His surprise is pretty ironic to say the least - if not dumb.

I think he was right on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TCLT said:

That's uncalled for. We need to have proper debate and not namecall like kindergarteners That moves the debate nowhere. 

The question is will the supreme court overturn Obergefell v. Hodges,  Bostock v. Clayton County, or Lawrence v. Texas. Marriage should be removed and have unions federally replace them. That way marriage will stay within the church if wished, but the privileges afforded through marriage will be for all union holders. If you think "federal government doesn't have any business regulating who can and can't get married.", then remove marriage from the federal government and replace it with union.

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

I think it’s beautiful. :wub:

If my Husband is on his deathbed and our marriage is annulled and I can't be by his side, think that's beautiful? I don't.  

29 minutes ago, TCLT said:

Now see, you're responding to an argument that I didn't make. Never once did I say or imply that they're idiots or assholes simply because I disagree with them.

urbanlover568 supports a political party that is fundamentally and openly opposed to equal rights and liberties for the LGBTQ+ community and then is shocked when that party works to undermine and dismantle the hard fought gains of that community. Idiot.

gman430 is perfectly happy to see the government step in and prescribe with whom, or how, a person has sex. He's perfectly happy to see the government intervene to dictate and limit where, when, and how people can peaceably assemble and demonstrate (if they're black). But he loses his pathetically small mind when the government mandates people wear masks or avoid large gatherings during a pandemic. Asshole.

And let's not forget that you, my dear nicholas, are gullible enough to believe (and post) bullcrap conspiracies and think that black people are to blame for their problems and aren't in well paying careers because they just aren't that interested in them. Idiot and asshole.

This is a pattern with the right wing of this country. American Conservativism has devolved into an intellectually and morally bankrupt amalgam of destructive white nationalism and shameless corruption. It requires a complete rejection of reality, a staggering amount of hypocrisy, and a depressing lack of empathy. Conservatives aren't idiots and assholes because I disagree with them. I disagree with them because they're idiots and assholes. And if you're gonna get upset at being called one, don't leave the receipts to prove the accusation correct.

I don't care who has said what, because there have been tons of comments by both users that have contributed nothing to UP and that I don't agree with.

I maintain that when you have weird circumstances, such as a worldwide pandemic, chronic mis/disinformation, a wet market, an extremely high-level bio research facility, a country that has historically not been friendly to the U.S, etc.....I think it is worthy to question the narrative coming out of that country, especially when that country's initial response was to silence the doctors that were attempting to warn everyone about Covid-19's impact.  If you'll note my comment from back then, I never said that I believed or supported that report, and furthermore I don't think Covid-19 was intentionally released to the public by anyone.

If you don't think individuals are responsible for their own problems, you are truly an idiot.  Blacks are killing fellow blacks at far higher rates than any other race.  That is a fact. Over 75% of non-immigrant black children are born to unwed mothers.  That is a fact.  In 2017, there were more than a dozen fields—largely subfields within science, technology, engineering, and math—in which not a single doctoral degree was awarded to a black person anywhere in the United States.  That is a fact.  The truth can be painful, but the facts don't care about your feelings.

You can't fix problems when you won't even acknowledge that the problems exist.  I'm not going to sink to your level and paint those who I disagree with - progressive liberals - with a broad brush of intolerance and hate.  However, I will say that if you're going to support a mindset that supposedly promotes "diversity of thought", "tolerance", "wokeness", and whatever else the progressive left says it believes in, you'd better practice what you preach...

• Like 1

I don't care who has said what, because there have been tons of comments by both users that have contributed nothing to UP and that I don't agree with.
I maintain that when you have weird circumstances, such as a worldwide pandemic, chronic mis/disinformation, a wet market, an extremely high-level bio research facility, a country that has historically not been friendly to the U.S, etc.....I think it is worthy to question the narrative coming out of that country, especially when that country's initial response was to silence the doctors that were attempting to warn everyone about Covid-19's impact.  If you'll note my comment from back then, I never said that I believed or supported that report, and furthermore I don't think Covid-19 was intentionally released to the public by anyone.
If you don't think individuals are responsible for their own problems, you are truly an idiot.  Blacks are killing fellow blacks at far higher rates than any other race.  That is a fact. Over 75% of non-immigrant black children are born to unwed mothers.  That is a fact.  In 2017, there were more than a dozen fields—largely subfields within science, technology, engineering, and math—in which not a single doctoral degree was awarded to a black person anywhere in the United States.  That is a fact.  The truth can be painful, but the facts don't care about your feelings.
You can't fix problems when you won't even acknowledge that the problems exist.  I'm not going to sink to your level and paint those who I disagree with - progressive liberals - with a broad brush of intolerance and hate.  However, I will say that if you're going to support a mindset that supposedly promotes "diversity of thought", "tolerance", "wokeness", and whatever else the progressive left says it believes in, you'd better practice what you preach...

Your naiveté would be cute if it wasn’t so harmful.