Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

There is a real chance that more than half of voters did not choose Trump in NC. In addition to Biden and the odd candidates for president you would be surprised how many people go into a voting booth or mark their ballot and choose no one for that office or other offices.

In NC the rule for runoffs is 50%+1 of total number of voters. NOT 50% of votes for the candidates for the office. Thus in tight races these ballots with missing choices for such an office must be added to the total number of voters to determine the runoff percentage. When precincts report results the final tabulation in their list is Total Number of Voters. This is ALWAYS more than the sum for any office.

(Board of Election deepness)

Source: for ~ 15 years I worked election night for Meck BOE on returns prior to the fully digitised reports. There are still paper records kept of votes for confirmation. Precinct reps called in results election night to phone bank which included me. Total # of Voters was last item on each precinct call in list and if it was missing from report (occasionally) I had to call them and say they could not go home yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

Ok I'm pretty pissed that georgia will go blue and not NC. Anyone else?

Suburban counties in Atlanta are starting to go more and more blue each year. Honestly, the Charlotte suburban counties like Union, Cabarrus, Gaston, Iredell, et. are very red AND growing in population. I'm not sure if this trend will flip soon. Many of the residents from New York, New Jersey, et. that move down to the Charlotte metro can be fairly conservative that settle in areas like Union County. A factor in "fleeing New York" can include moving somewhere more conservative.

The other metro area that has a decent amount of people but is pretty red is Wilmington. 

Edited by CLT2014

5 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Suburban counties in Atlanta are starting to go more and more blue each year. Honestly, the Charlotte suburban counties like Union, Cabarrus, Gaston, Iredell, et. are very red AND growing in population. I'm not sure if this trend will flip soon. Many of the residents from New York, New Jersey, et. that move down to the Charlotte metro can be fairly conservative that settle in areas like Union County. A factor in "fleeing New York" can include moving somewhere more conservative.

The other metro area that has a decent amount of people but is pretty red is Wilmington. 

Yup, and Wilmington is deep red for the same reason as Union County, lots and lots of Carpetbaggers who wanted to move South to someplace more conservative than NY/NJ. Its exacerbated in Wilmington because so many new arrivals are much more affluent than the locals, so that tends to drive political contributions.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

It's worth pointing out that Trump lost vote share in the immediate surrounding counties, it just wasn't enough to offset the remarkable increase in turnout across the state.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

^agree. She's very impressive as is the Atlanta mayor.

You're thinking of Keisha Lance Bottoms.  Abrams was the one who ran against Kemp for governor in 2018 and lost by hair (potentially because of some shady voter stuff from Kemp being the sitting Secretary of State at the time and overseeing his own election).

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

It's worth pointing out that Trump lost vote share in the immediate surrounding counties, it just wasn't enough to offset the remarkable increase in turnout across the state.

The NYT demonstrates with pretty charts:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/04/us/elections/north-carolina-election-results-county.html

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

and we make quite a contrast with rural Georgia. The rightward shift in the NC Black Belt (NE counties) is really shocking. I believe those counties have roughly the same % black population and SW Georgia.

Leftward moves in the far west are also a surprise. Also noteworthy is the leftward move of Onslow County (Camp Lejune -- not visible in image below), will be interesting to see what Cumberland finally reports.

Edited by kermit

5 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

It's worth noting that Georgia has 159 counties (second most in the country) and that Fulton County, at 526 square miles, is huge by Georgia standards.  So, first, Atlanta's metro is spread across more counties.  The other thing, the Charlotte metro is smaller, but it's population is more compact.  The land mass of the Atlanta metro is infamously massive...all that sprawl covers a massive geography.  I prefer that Charlotte's growth pattern is more compact at this stage of our growth but it means rural areas are going to be closer to the core than they are in a metro like Atlanta. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Ok I'm pretty pissed that georgia will go blue and not NC. Anyone else?

I'm pissed that the Deomcratic Party establishment and the media treated North Carolina (again, as always) like we are nothing instead of the 9th biggest state in the country with the greatest univesities in the South and comma arguably the most liberal region in the South (the Research Triangle).  Boosterism aside, the Dems ignored NC -- Biden and Harris visited the state 4 times after the Convention vs being in Georgia 2 - 3 x a week.  Trump or Pence or a surrogate, meanwhile, were in NC's Trump counties multiple times every week.    Yet, in spite of this --- NC managed to produce MORE votes than Georgia and only a 70,000 vote margin for the Trumpenfuehrer.   

Edited by Phillydog
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, TGIBridays said:

You're thinking of Keisha Lance Bottoms.  Abrams was the one who ran against Kemp for governor in 2018 and lost by hair (potentially because of some shady voter stuff from Kemp being the sitting Secretary of State at the time and overseeing his own election).

Right, I saw an interview Bottoms gave with, I believe, 60 minutes that was super impressive to me.

13 hours ago, kermit said:

and we make quite a contrast with rural Georgia. The rightward shift in the NC Black Belt (NE counties) is really shocking. I believe those counties have roughly the same % black population and SW Georgia.

Leftward moves in the far west are also a surprise. Also noteworthy is the leftward move of Onslow County (Camp Lejune -- not visible in image below), will be interesting to see what Cumberland finally reports.

I think the most under-reported story is the shift in Black voters to the Republicans.  Part of it are the evangelical Black voters who were instrumental in the passage of Amendment One.  

1 hour ago, Phillydog said:

I think the most under-reported story is the shift in Black voters to the Republicans.  Part of it are the evangelical Black voters who were instrumental in the passage of Amendment One.  

When everything is done, I will be really interested in seeing how the demographics play out across the country. In NE North Carolina, did black voters swing toward Trump, or not turn out at all?  In Robeson, the parties need to stop dangling promises of Federal recognition for the Lumbees and just fracking do it already. 

The NC Dems also need to seize the moment in the mountains. There was obviously dissatisfaction with Trump (Buncombe doesn't show up as an arrow yet, but will be a huge blue one - looks like a 7 point swing). I think the election of Madison Cawthorn will be an opportunity in 2022 to turn out more down-ballot D votes because that guy is gross.

• Like 1

Only partly about Trump here, because he has no gracious cell in his body, but other Senators and Reps who are still carrying his water.  Is there anything worse than being a bad loser in public?

"The most damning epitaph you can compose is one that all comfortable people should cower from deserving:  he was at his best only when the going was good"

Allistair Cooke (describing Edward VIII)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^no Clinton fan here but talk about false equivalencies!

12 hours ago, Phillydog said:

There was a slight shift but I don't expect it to last. Believe it was more the ”businessman knowing how to grow the economy” schtick than anything.  And let's be real we're talking about 10% being a shift? I didn't look it up so might be off on that 10% just heard Larry Wilmore and Trevor Noah say that.

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 8:51 PM, Phillydog said:

I'm pissed that the Deomcratic Party establishment and the media treated North Carolina (again, as always) like we are nothing instead of the 9th biggest state in the country with the greatest univesities in the South and comma arguably the most liberal region in the South (the Research Triangle).  Boosterism aside, the Dems ignored NC -- Biden and Harris visited the state 4 times after the Convention vs being in Georgia 2 - 3 x a week.  Trump or Pence or a surrogate, meanwhile, were in NC's Trump counties multiple times every week.    Yet, in spite of this --- NC managed to produce MORE votes than Georgia and only a 70,000 vote margin for the Trumpenfuehrer.   

I think this is because the Dems assumed (correctly) that NC would stay red this election due to the RNC being here and how many times Trump has visited the state. 

NC's rural pop is more white, while GA's suburban pop is more diverse. Cabarrus County is a diverse suburban county and shifted dramatically Dem.

However, both states show the urban-rural divide is now strong even with minorities. Such realignment in the NC Black Belt and US 74 Corridor kept Biden from winning NC despite improved margins in all the large metros, OBX, and mountains.

• Like 4

S.gif
d2e8787a-eca4-4dec-a303-c772f8446ec2.png
S.gif S.gif
Dilworth Express
November 10, 2020

Dilworth 
Charlotte, NC

Created for Residents & maintained by volunteers of the Dilworth Community Association (DCA)
S.gif

Voting Streak
454f725c-caa8-423b-b4dc-c37f897dc369.png
S.gif
S.gif S.gif
While the rest of Dilworth was either celebrating or brooding over the election results, one brave soul kept his word.

Not naming names here, but this individual promised he would run buck naked around the block if Biden won. And as this Saturday night photo attests, he is a true stand up guy. It’s worth noting that back in 2008, following Obama’s election, both he and his wife ran around the block similarly attired.

Enjoy this bit of levity - you gotta love Dilworth!
S.gif
Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 4

^please elaborate.

It went really well in Denver imho. Despite the feds doing everything possible to make it fail. The most egregious example is not allowing banking so they have to do everything in cash. Massive amounts of it. It's only a matter of time before a huge robbery goes wrong and people are killed.

Edited by elrodvt