Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

NC will probably stay politically divided government for this decade to come (Democratic governor and GOP controlled House and possibly Senate).  Though I don't think the GOP is going to be able to control both houses of the NCGA the entire decade.

However, when the demographics continues to shift, which is happening, where it's going to be closer to becoming more racial pluralistic in population in 2030s. It's going to get very interesting politically. Charlotte is trending towards racial pluralism already a municipality and Meck Co is as well. Cabarrus County is headed that way along with Gaston County in the upcoming  decade. This is going to make political gerrymandering even harder to defend even in state courts. 

Metro Charlotte is going to look like fellow major metros like Atlanta, DFW, Houston with swing, formerly-suburban-turned-adjacent-urban-core counties (Gaston and Cabarrus) next to the urban core county of Mecklenburg in the 2030s. The Triangle is going to assist but we're much more diverse here in Charlotte on racial & ethnic makeup of the region.

We're headed more towards mirroring our competitive neighbor to the South, Georgia, than like we had mirrored like our competitive neighbor to the north, Virginia.  In the future,  due to our racial plurality in populous is going to become very politically unpredictable. 

• Like 2

All the commentary this time of year about ending Daylight Savings Time when what people actually want is to keep it year round should remind us that the American people are to blame for our dysfunctional democracy.  Virginia voters buying into the Critical Race Thoery nonsense are just the latest brand of cursed politics we deserve. Just look at the Google trending searches any given day for ridiculous conspiracies.  It should come as no surprise how so many can be easily convinced to vote against their own interests.

• Like 3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_in_the_United_States

I recall when there was an experiment in year round DST in 1973-75. Nearly everyone hated it. Even in Charlotte, a well placed location for such an experiment, sunrise in December was 8:30. The northern tier of the country it was near 9 A. M.  I predict no national experiment will return for this benighted idea. 

southslider, your other comments have some truth.

Edited by tarhoosier

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_in_the_United_States

I recall when there was an experiment in year round DST in 1973-75. Nearly everyone hated it. Even in Charlotte, a well placed location for such an experiment, sunrise in December was 8:30. The northern tier of the country it was near 9 A. M.  I predict no national experiment will return for this benighted idea. 

southslider, your other comments have some truth.

I feel like people generally go to work later than they used to, but that's just anecdotal. I know I could care less about seeing the sun on the way to work, but I'd love as much sun after work as possible. (Sunset is 5:22 today, y'all. Uhhhg.)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I was teaching 6th grade at that time. My classroom windows faced southeast. Thirty five or forty minutes into the class day the sunrise would come over the near horizon and bathe the room in glow and EVERYTHING would stop while the students turned to look at the sunrise. After 2-3 days trying to fight sunrise (what an idiot) I stopped for 90 seconds each day while the phenomenon occurred and then we returned to the tasks with occasional comments about relative beauty of each day.  They had been on bus stops and bus rides and sidewalk school paths in deep night darkness. A month later the sunrise was at an earlier point and the drama occurred outside the class day.

• Like 3

These GOP dopes really underestimating the non-white population trending in these districts across the Greater Charlotte area. These demographics are shifting faster than they think. NC is like how just wind up like GA with more unexpectedly competitive congressional districts for the GOP. They are playing themselves with these absurdly shaped districts, 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Atlanta is basically controlled by the large developers who seem to only want traditional suburban with drive-up urbanism developments with few exceptions. When I lived and worked there the types of parking accommodating developments are the go- to their intown neighborhoods within the city limits like Edgewood Town Center, Uptown Atlanta formerly Lindberg Town Center, Lindberg Plaza, Atlantic Station, Glenwood, and Madison Yards.  These are in the very areas where true smart growth and new urbanism style developments could be done but those are relegated to random areas usually outside of the Atlanta city proper.  If it isn't Midtown or Downtown Atlanta then expect more of the same occurring under previous mayoral administrations,.

• Confused 1

Tariq decided to do some work last night to promote the diversity of perspectives we have in Charlotte and support local entrepreneurs. Good job fighting for the people and supporting local business Tariq!

7AC715CE-7094-4501-BD99-5AE5665F197F.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

On 12/4/2021 at 9:31 AM, kermit said:

Tariq decided to do some work last night to promote the diversity of perspectives we have in Charlotte and support local entrepreneurs. Good job fighting for the people and supporting local business Tariq!

7AC715CE-7094-4501-BD99-5AE5665F197F.jpeg

He's still overplaying his hand per usual.  Little does he really know...

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 8:21 PM, kayman said:

These GOP dopes really underestimating the non-white population trending in these districts across the Greater Charlotte area. These demographics are shifting faster than they think. NC is like how just wind up like GA with more unexpectedly competitive congressional districts for the GOP. They are playing themselves with these absurdly shaped districts, 

I think this comment is a bit ignorant, and treats minorities as one monolithic voting block. Right now, we have a rapidly growing Hispanic population. VA and FL thought their rapidly growing Hispanic populations would monolithic, but now they are starting to dramatically shift R. If the same thing happens in other purple states it will not be pretty on the local level. 

• Like 1

Wow, the Regional Business Alliance (aka the Chamber 2.0) along with a handful of SC Chambers is calling out anti-business republicans in South Carolina. This is from an email today.

CLT Alliance Opposes Government Overreach in South Carolina

The CLT Alliance is informing our investors about a piece of legislation that will be detrimental to the business community. The language would prohibit businesses from requiring employees to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, severely limiting a business in managing its operations. The CLT Alliance joined with several other business groups, including the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce, NFIB – South Carolina, the South Carolina Retail Association, Greenville Chamber, and the Upstate Chamber Coalition, among others in the following statement:

“South Carolina has a long-held tradition of being a pro-business state that allows businesses to operate with minimal government intervention. Employment decisions have been left to individual businesses in our state, subject to what each business believes is right for their operations. The ability for businesses to operate without government overreach has, and will continue to be, a key building block of our state’s booming economy.

“We ask the General Assembly to support free enterprise and reject this unprecedented step against the internal operations of our state’s job creators.”

The amended language at issue is in H.3126.

You can read more about this legislation in our email newsletter, The Advocate. To subscribe to The Advocate, please click here

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, kermit said:

Wow, the Regional Business Alliance (aka the Chamber 2.0) along with a handful of SC Chambers is calling out anti-business republicans in South Carolina. This is from an email today.

Wait, the Chambers are making a statement AGAINST anti-mask mandates and in favor of allowing business to require masked employees? If I'm reading that right, I'm really shocked.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Wait, the Chambers are making a statement AGAINST anti-mask mandates and in favor of allowing business to require masked employees? If I'm reading that right, I'm really shocked.

Why are you shocked? Businesses have a right to decide how to run their business how they see fit. If they want to mandate masks, that's their business. If they don't, that's also their business. I still wear mine as a personal choice. 

38 minutes ago, urbanlover568 said:

Why are you shocked? Businesses have a right to decide how to run their business how they see fit. If they want to mandate masks, that's their business. If they don't, that's also their business. I still wear mine as a personal choice. 

If only the businesses in the People's Republic of South Carolina had the freedom to make that choice...

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4