Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

13 hours ago, kermit said:

I don't wander very far these days but I would estimate that mask wearing is about 30% in the East blvd Teeter, maybe 10% in the Sedgefield Teeter. Most employees seem to be still wearing them. Masks appear to have been dropped completely in some crowded restaurants like Snooze Southend (zero masks this morning including employees) or Resident Culture Southend (no masks on anyone on Friday). 

I am just back from Denver, I was surprised at how few masks I saw pretty much everywhere other than the commuter rail (LRT riders generally were not wearing masks). No masks on restaurant employees at all (which is fine, I was just surprised it was so common). 

My rule of thumb recently has been to do what the employees do. While my mask wearing will certainly become more spotty, I'll continue to avoid a) crowded places; b) places with low ceilings (tough for this dive bar connoisseur. Not an epidemiologist but it makes sense to me as a proxy for air circulation). I may continue to wear an N95 on transit for while after the requirement is dropped. If cases spike up again I'll quickly put an N95 back on in all public settings. I do feel like cloth masks are pretty useless in one way masking environments, and I expect that community-wide masking is now gone forever in the US.

That's interesting about Denver, for some reason I would have expected the opposite. Thanks for the data point regarding Charlotte! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JeanClt said:

It’s not useless. I feel like this entire two years people have been arguing about it and I still don’t understand why people can’t thing of it rationally. There’s a literal barrier on your face that stops your breath composed of drops and air from spreading farther than without a mask. The fact that it limits the spread around you, it clearly then limits the spread to others. Also puts a barrier between you and the outside air which also helps reduce chances of inhaling viral particles from others. It’s not that hard to understand. I don’t know why this was ever a point of contingency for many during these past two years.

Now is it relevant to require them as harshly? Who knows. As of now I have mixed thoughts about it’s effectiveness. As COVID assimilates into the population it will become less of a threat. I have lost the main person that I wanted protect, my grandmother who had asthma. Clearly people forget the fact that we’re all in this world together. There’s really no “I” there’s only “we” on this earth. It is selfish sometimes that people think their small inconveniences overpower the value of life. Especially those conservative republicans that can’t stop yapping about abortion bans but can’t even wear a mask to protect the lives already here (but I digress).

Masks at this point are worn at the discretion of the person and business. Respect a businesses wishes it doesn’t do any good to anybody to get frustrated or annoyed about something as trivial as a mask.

I hope you're not inferring I am somehow selfish - because I'm not. I have followed every single covid law with zero complaint for 3-ish years probably more harshly than people in North Carolina had to. 

I am pro vaccine mandate & vaccine passport. But with masking, I feel like at this point, and per CDC guidelines, DC & Virginia state law, it makes sense for masking to be optional for those vaccinated and boosted. If you're not, wear a mask or do what you need to do to protect yourself. 

And I do respect businesses wishes. I'm going to be annoyed if I forgot my mask and CVS would rather me buy a box of mask than a Snicker's bar just like I would be annoyed if I had forgot my wallet when I'm in a rush. That doesn't mean I get nasty at people.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

I hope you're not inferring I am somehow selfish - because I'm not. I have followed every single covid law with zero complaint for 3-ish years probably more harshly than people in North Carolina had to. 
I am pro vaccine mandate & vaccine passport. But with masking, I feel like at this point, and per CDC guidelines, DC & Virginia state law, it makes sense for masking to be optional for those vaccinated and boosted. If you're not, wear a mask or do what you need to do to protect yourself. 
And I do respect businesses wishes. I'm going to be annoyed if I forgot my mask and CVS would rather me buy a box of mask than a Snicker's bar just like I would be annoyed if I had forgot my wallet when I'm in a rush. That doesn't mean I get nasty at people.

That post wasn’t directly pointed at you or a reply to your statement. I will let you figure that out. Some things may have referred to your statement or applied to your statement. When I refer to selfishness I refer to the “independence” and “freedom” that is referred to in this country to the point where it does not matter if you trample over everyone as long as you get what you want you are happy. (In fact even when it is harmful or risky for that person themselves). An analogy for the situation I’m describing: A person who will throw vegetables in another persons face because they want to eat junk food and sometimes even shoves junk food down the other persons throat even though they would benefit from eating the vegetables. No need to be offended by what I say.

I know people aren’t that simple and I’d rather not judge someone’s entire being based on one reaction or choice, but when I refer to that aspect or situation a person can be selfish in that aspect or situation. We are all selfish in some sort of aspect or in a specific situation. My comment was simply my frustrations for the mask complaints. Once again not directly aimed at you. Otherwise, I would have addressed you directly and replied to your comment. So no worries on that I’m sure you are selfless in other matters and selfish in others. As others are and as I am as well. I get that.
  • Like 1

Patrick Cannon is out of jail? 

I think he’s a nice, great guy, seemingly. But I feel like unfortunately, you knowingly committed fraud in the shadiest way (closing the blinds and accepting/opening a suitcase full of money). To be fair, this is all based on memory so maybe I’m over exaggerating the details which isn’t right so disclaimer - this is based on memory. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

City Council at Large (4 seats)
D

LaWana Slack-Mayfield
Dimple Ajmera [Incumbent]
Larken Egleston [Current District 1 rep]
Braxton David Winston [Incumbent]
Patrick D. Cannon
James (Smuggie) Mitchell
R
David Merrill
Kyle J. Luebke 
Carrie Olinski
Charlie Mulligan
David Michael Rice

City District 1
D
Billy Maddalon 
Dante Anderson
Charlene Henderson El

City District 4
D

Renee Perkins Johnson [Incumbent]
Darlene Heater
Cedric Dean

City District 6
D

Nancy Wiggins
Stephanie Hand 
Rob Hillman
R
Tariq Scott Bokhari [Incumbent]

City District 7
R

Ed Driggs [Incumbent, unopposed]

These are some interesting choices. Mayor is easy, The At Large race I think will go 3/1 ultimately. Is that an open primary? I don't know anything about any of the Republicans running and I know too much about some of the Democrats. I know one of the candidates in District 1 and will be voting for them without reservation and I think they would do an exceptional job in the role; Smart, level-headed, passionate. District 4 is going to be a good race, I know who I'd be voting for if I were in that District. I wonder if any of the Democrats can beat TSB in District 6? District 7 is going to be a nail biter.

Edited by davidclt

6 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Patrick Cannon is out of jail? 

I think he’s a nice, great guy, seemingly. But I feel like unfortunately, you knowingly committed fraud in the shadiest way (closing the blinds and accepting/opening a suitcase full of money). To be fair, this is all based on memory so maybe I’m over exaggerating the details which isn’t right so disclaimer - this is based on memory. 

No you are not exaggerating.  He literally fanned himself with the illegal cash bribe.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, kermit said:

I bought my couch from that store when it was Bon Marché before Federated folded it into Macy's who shuttered the store. It was fun going downtown to shop and they had a crazy parking deck for the store. It was one of the things I missed when I moved back to Charlotte from Seattle.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/politics/south-carolina-politics/jonathan-moreno-rock-hill-york-county-council-politics-local-south-carolina-elections/275-53db0ef0-a360-474d-94b5-caa00a09f234

Clown show. You were fired, charged, and acquitted based on a technicality for a wrongful arrest and excessive force of a black male on film.  Then you have the audacity to think you're a better fit for a York County Council seat than the incumbent black Democratic commissioner because you're a Republican. Yeah this is idiocy. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kayman said:

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/politics/south-carolina-politics/jonathan-moreno-rock-hill-york-county-council-politics-local-south-carolina-elections/275-53db0ef0-a360-474d-94b5-caa00a09f234

Clown show. You were fired, charged, and acquitted based on a technicality for a wrongful arrest and excessive force of a black male on film.  Then you have the audacity to think your a better fit for a York County Council seat than the incumbent black Democratic commissioner because you're a Republican. Yeah this is idiocy. 

"Moreno said he didn't want the focus to be on what happened, but rather on what he still brings to the table". 

What a douchebag. 

• Like 2

Can we just agree that every American president is automatically a scourge on human dignity the moment they take office because the system our nation operates under relies on the exploitation and death of millions around the globe and at home, which is facilitated by two parties that act as two factions of one Duopoloy party that *long ago* squashed any real movement of popular citizen sentiment?

I feel like once we can all have that as our baseline we can all focus our energies properly together.

But maybe I'm an idealist :rolleyes::ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, kermit said:

Interesting to live in a world where a sitting president sees declining approval simultaneous with record job growth, record deficit reduction and the S&P 500 at record highs.

Particularly when the previous guy in the office presided over record job loss and deficit growth while being lauded as 'good for the economy.' I guess everyone gets to make their own reality these days.

I think the mainstream American is seeing rising home prices, rising car prices, rising gas prices, rising cost of living, et... that is making them feel poorer and unhappy with the state of things. A significant amount of Americans are just "passive" stock market investors that have the money tied up in retirement accounts they don't access yet, so record high stock prices isn't impacting their day to day. They don't really care about the deficit / even know what it is. People just want to be able to buy their kids diapers, be able to pay for gas to get to their job, afford rent, be able to buy a car, et.

For people that got wage increases, I think many are feeling like the extra $2 an hour Amazon or Walmart now pays them basically got neutralized by rising cost of living and they are frustrated. The extra $2,000 a year got wiped out by their $150 a month rent increase, diaper inflation, and $25 extra per fill up. People might have voted for Biden thinking he'd help with this type of stuff, but instead they just feel poorer and still living pay check to pay check. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3