Jump to content

Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here


Recommended Posts


5 hours ago, davidclt said:

decry "socialism" (for everyone but them and their cohort we paid in and earned our Social Security and Medicare) 

This is a common fallacy, and one I frequently hear...especially from those who I normally consider to be logical. If you are truly against social welfare programs, then you should be against Social Security and Medicare. Saying you are against universal healthcare and the expansion of social welfare programs but still want Medicare is no different in my eyes than saying 2+2=5.

I hear a similar argument from the endless conservative Canadian snowbirds my boomer relatives surround themselves with in South Florida. They endlessly complain about the high taxes in Canada, but are paranoid about meticulously planning their return date to Canada come April to ensure they don't lose coverage in their provincial healthcare plan, which typically is void after being out of the country for 6 months at a time. 

I confronted a close friend of the family once (I don't care what people think) about their hypocrisy and they blamed it on the US government somehow, saying "the US government would take their healthcare away, not Canada". I called BS, and told them the US government has no jurisdiction over another country's health system, to which they said they had to go back after 6 months because that's the maximum time Canadians are allowed in the US in a 365 day period. While true, that's also BS, as I reminded them they themselves have petitioned the USCIS to grant them extra time over the 6 month period and it was approved (I can't remember the specific reason but they are a homeowner in Florida and it's my impression USCIS is quite lenient to Canadian snowbirds, especially those that have a SSN and own property) before they attempted to change the subject so I just walked away. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

US citizens are limited to a six month stay in Canada as well. And jumping across the border for a return to the US for a short time just to restart the six month clock is not allowed. There are exceptions but must be justified at entry.

People saying "I am unhappy with things here in the US and will move to Canada" have given no thought to that proclamation.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1016&top=16

Edited by tarhoosier
Link to comment
Share on other sites

However if you're a grandparent and convince a child to move there then you can come under the grandparent rule (or some such). If the child has a priority skill that is.

Regarding the socialism discussion the folks who really crack me up are the libertarians who want to stick to the word of Rynd. "I'll put out my own house fire " an acquaintance told me. :-)

 

Edited by elrodvt
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

US citizens are limited to a six month stay in Canada as well. And jumping across the border for a return to the US for a short time just to restart the six month clock is not allowed. There are exceptions but must be justified at entry.

People saying "I am unhappy with things here in the US and will move to Canada" have given no thought to that proclamation.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1016&top=16

Yes, I get that, but I don't understand what that has to do with what I said about my original argument. 

I said:

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

I confronted a close friend of the family once (I don't care what people think) about their hypocrisy and they blamed it on the US government somehow, saying "the US government would take their healthcare away, not Canada". I called BS, and told them the US government has no jurisdiction over another country's health system, to which they said they had to go back after 6 months because that's the maximum time Canadians are allowed in the US in a 365 day period. While true, that's also BS, as I reminded them they themselves have petitioned the USCIS to grant them extra time over the 6 month period and it was approved (I can't remember the specific reason but they are a homeowner in Florida and it's my impression USCIS is quite lenient to Canadian snowbirds, especially those that have a SSN and own property)

But yes, the 6 month rule isn't typically flexible. 

If you are savvy enough, willing to put in the work, and have the skillset in a certain area, it is relatively easy for Americans to move to Canada...it just takes a lot of work. I had a friend I went to undergrad with who ended up getting her PhD in Physics, and she became disillusioned with how things were going in the US. She started applying to jobs in Canada in 2017, got hired, and just flew to Canada without having a work permit. Under NAFTA/USMCA, Americans in roughly 60 or so fields can work/live in Canada and don't even need to apply for a work permit before hand...they can apply at the port of entry in Canada. 

She now has a Canadian PR card. I'm not sure how she transitioned from the NAFTA/USMCA status to PR card. She has a Canadian boyfriend whom she lives with, so I am not sure if he had something to do with it. I don't think NAFTA/USMCA professionals are considered immigrants and you can't change the status once you are granted it, so he more than likely sponsored her. 

In any case, if you have a background in an in-demand field (very loosely defined IMO, from registered nurse to urban planner), you could make it work and try out Canada for a bit. You just might have to be willing to fall in love and pick up a partner in the process. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, kermit said:

https://www.wral.com/in-memoir-nc-lt-gov-mark-robinson-mulls-2024-run-calls-for-taking-science-history-out-of-elementary-schools/20427624/

No better way to encourage smart, skilled people (and the companies that rely on them) to move to NC than taking science instruction out of their kid's classrooms.

All the more reason to double down on funding public education.  Hard to believe there is an appetite out there for someone like Mark  :sick:.   Makes me think of an "I'd rather" comeback I once heard a relative say.  In this case it would go, "I'd rather sh!t in my hands and clap than cast a vote for Mark Robinson".  May that man (and all like him) just fade away...

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I looked at the state standards for education, and looked up the released Living Environment State Regents Exam I had to take in 9th grade to pass, and I came across the question in the exam that I had forgotten about until now:

As a former public school educator in both Nevada and California (Social Studies), I find it fascinating that a state testing program would test you on such specific, explicit details that most adults probably wouldn't be able to identify. 

At a curiosity, were you required to take state-level exams for every course of study?

Feel free to PM me because I am genuinely interested to learn more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good points, LKN. If you go to your bank branch and see 5-6 police outside, do you consider that location "safe"? The semiotics of safety theater send messages unintended yet lasting.

NC for some (too many) years had EOC (End Of Course) testing in the required curriculum classes which totaled as many as 11 or 12 over a four year period. Exam scores were a required 20% of the final course grade. This created a nearly monthlong series of testing at the end of the year, or semester, depending on the school year design, and the current EOC schedule is down to four exams including grade ten English, Biology, Algebra and Geometry (approximately, for the last two). 

https://www.dpi.nc.gov/districts-schools/testing-and-school-accountability/state-tests/end-course-eoc

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

Back to what I talked about a couple of weeks ago in regard to banning books, this video makes my head spin and gives me so many questions. Imagine being so angry and radicalized at the very thought of a library having a children's book about Frederick Douglass that you have to march around town armed...

1) How do these people have the time to march around town and show up at the library with guns? Aren't they the same people who screamed that folks marching for racial justice should get a job?

2) How are these people accusing the "left/liberal media" of silencing them, if they refuse to be interviewed or refuse to show up to public meetings when they know there will be police +media presence...are they not silencing themselves?

3) NAL or a legal scholar, but doesn't showing up to a library and/or public meeting openly carrying weapons while at the same time demanding XYZ be done constitute a threat with a deadly weapon? Threats can be both verbal and nonverbal, and bringing weapons to a public meaning regarding book bans implies to me that you are threatening to cause harm unless your demands are met. 

Link to an additional article covering the video, published a couple days after the original. 
 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/05/us/idaho-bonners-ferry-library-books/index.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I wouldn't ordinarily be posting here about an out of state race, but this Portland area politician is ‘talking’ about transit so…

I was highly amused that GOP candidates have extended their ‘transit brings crime’ fear mongering to Light Rail being the preferred mode of transportation for anti-faschists. “We can’t let light rail threaten my fascism!”


https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/antifa-on-the-train-how-the-gop-is-making-new-rules-for-political-speech/

84A53C85-4048-4EC6-8BD9-4AB43AB067D2.jpeg
 

Edit: they lost

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kermit said:

I wouldn't ordinarily be posting here about an out of state race, but this Portland area politician is ‘talking’ about transit so…

I was highly amused that GOP candidates have extended their ‘transit brings crime’ fear mongering to Light Rail being the preferred mode of transportation for anti-faschists. “We can’t let light rail threaten my fascism!”


https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/antifa-on-the-train-how-the-gop-is-making-new-rules-for-political-speech/

84A53C85-4048-4EC6-8BD9-4AB43AB067D2.jpeg

So ridiculous. I live up here now. The real controversy is that so many Portlanders are moving to Vancouver and light rail is seen as an enabler for more movement to Washington.  Probably why one to Rock Hill will never get built.  Back in the 70s, I-77 was finished all the way to SC. There it stopped for several years, and I think lawsuits, because SC didn't want North Carolinians to suck commerce from SC to NC.  Of course we know the opposite is happening.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.