Graduate Hotel, 12 stories, 2000 West End Ave., 203 rooms, 5,500 sq. ft. retail/restaurant, 7,500 sq. ft. conf. center

markhollin

31 minutes ago, memphian said:

It looks to be designed for the female traveler. I don’t think many guys are going to like the decor and finishes. It’s cool for what it is though.

Yeah, it kind of has a doll house sort of vibe to it.  I applaud them for blazing their own trails and doing something different, and I actually like the bright colors as opposed to the monotonous look found in most hotels, but this may be... a bit much.  :ermm:

Were they designing around a "Dolly in the Steel Magnolia Days" theme? I cannot imagine that this style will age well.

(In some ways the guest rooms remind me of a feminized version of the original look of Opryland Hotel guest rooms...from 1979) :tw_weary:

Edited by donNdonelson2
correction of date

7 minutes ago, memphian said:

Totally agree with it adding to our hotel game here in Nashville. Its the fun ones that people remember. The boring corporate hotels, unless they have exceptional service, are completely forgettable.

Well, it's definitely not corporate. What is their demographic? Senior citizens? (Kidding) I'm not a hospitality designer, they must know something.

• Like 1

It reminds me of a firmdale hotel. they are all very kitchy and not really my style but i've stayed once at the Hamyard hotel in london and it was FANTASTIC. in person the crazy patterns and colorful scheme work a lot better than seeing in pictures. if you're ever in NYC i suggest checking out the crosby street hotel. great property! 

15 hours ago, memphian said:

It looks to be designed for the female traveler. I don’t think many guys are going to like the decor and finishes. It’s cool for what it is though.

What guys really care about the decor and finishes of the hotel where they're staying in the first place? 

If we're painting with broad stereotypes here, then 'most' guys will probably be satisfied as long as there's a comfortable bed, a decent shower, and good bar food/room service, right?  Is this a Catch-22?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ruraljuror said:

What guys really care about the decor and finishes of the hotel where they're staying in the first place? 

If we're painting with broad stereotypes here, then 'most' guys will probably be satisfied as long as there's a comfortable bed, a decent shower, and good bar food/room service, right?  Is this a Catch-22?

Well, I want a big TV with lots of pay for view sports channels....yes... sports channels.......

Edited by Nash_12South

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

Well, it's definitely not corporate. What is their demographic? Senior citizens? (Kidding) I'm not a hospitality designer, they must know something.

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Maybe it's geared towards Bachelorette groups?  To me...as a woman...it looks fun and different...but I can see where a man would be like "WTH?!"  Definitely seems geared towards females.

The Graduate chain is for friends/family of college students. They have many other locations in college towns near the universities, including Knoxville. In other words they are going for the luxury experience without the accompanying services (e.g., concierge) and their clientele consists of twenty-somethings with money to burn so I'd say they hit the nail on the head. It's all very Millennial I can assure you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

Maybe it's geared towards Bachelorette groups?  To me...as a woman...it looks fun and different...but I can see where a man would be like "WTH?!"  Definitely seems geared towards females.

That's what I was thinking too... that carpet pattern would make it easy to hide puke stains too!  Bonus!!  lol

From their website:

“Memory making stops, extraordinary rites of passage, and all of the courageous leaps of faith that get you where you’re going. Welcome to Graduate – where the school of life meets your favorite place to stay.

To be a Graduate is to be part of a well-curated, well-crafted collection of hotels that reside in the most dynamic university towns across the country. Every site and property celebrates and commemorates the youthful optimism of school days and cultivates the spirit of each community in a bright new way.”

https://www.graduatehotels.com/about/

Perhaps they were looking to capture the Southern Sorority Spirit in their Nashville property.  It does ring Legally Blonde Reese Witherspoon more than Steel Magnolia Dolly now that I think more on the matter.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...