Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Imagine a 39 story tower towering over the Harvey B Gantt and filling in the last surface parking lot on South Tryon inside the loop.  Just as recently as 3 years ago there were 3 surface parking lots on South Tryon:  1 where the 300 South Tryon Barings tower is now  2. the huge one at the Ally Tryon Place tower  3 and now this one will be gone.  

And of course there was one building on an entire block where Legacy is rising.  Truly amazing now lets get up to North Tryon and starting filling them in up there.  

If only North Tryon could catch some of this...

13 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Well that fence is bent...soo...

Yep, it just looks odd all together.

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Imagine a 39 story tower towering over the Harvey B Gantt and filling in the last surface parking lot on South Tryon inside the loop.  Just as recently as 3 years ago there were 3 surface parking lots on South Tryon:  1 where the 300 South Tryon Barings tower is now  2. the huge one at the Ally Tryon Place tower  3 and now this one will be gone.  

And of course there was one building on an entire block where Legacy is rising.  Truly amazing now lets get up to North Tryon and starting filling them in up there.  

IMG_6774.JPG

Don't you guys feel like the skyline will be somewhat lopsided?  Sort of like a set of uneven testicles?  Too many towers on one side?  This is why I'm glad this won't be a new Tallest - I think something like that (new Tallest) should be located closer to the Spectrum Center / CTC to maintain good balance in the skyline 

Don't you guys feel like the skyline will be somewhat lopsided?  Sort of like a set of uneven testicles?  Too many towers on one side?  This is why I'm glad this won't be a new Tallest - I think something like that (new Tallest) should be located closer to the Spectrum Center / CTC to maintain good balance in the skyline 

There’s a lot Clustered around BOCC too... if anything it’s balancing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

No idea, Just thought it’d sound cool if we had two centralized areas of Skyscrapers we recognized by “Downtown” and ”Uptown”.

As a Charlotte native, I always thought the push for Uptown in the late 90's was cheezy and I've always considered it Downtown. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

As a Charlotte native, I always thought the push for Uptown in the late 90's was cheezy and I've always considered it Downtown. 

Charlotte native Born in ‘92, grew up when uptown was already a thing. All I’ve known It as growing up. 

• Like 3

On 12/8/2018 at 10:51 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

We’re gonna look so sexy for 2020 RNC

It could have included this as well but the developer pulled out and decided to run for President instead. He’ll probably just buy the naming rights to 400 S. Tryon and put TRUMP on the top in large gold letters to satisfy his ego. Of course his kids are taking down some of those signs and replacing them with their new “Scion” brand, which they have teased Charlotte with. I would not be surprised if they opened one of those hotels just to make some money off of the convention, but at this point I do not know if they would have enough time to complete it.  I definitely don’t think it was  a coincidence though that the new Trump International Hotel in Washington opened just in time for the guy to take office. That said, I am not fully convinced that he will be the nominee when the RNC comes to CLT.

F888D666-9369-4A0B-A0C2-27E179DF4C58.jpeg

• Haha 1

Belaboring this:

12 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Charlotte native Born in ‘92, grew up when uptown was already a thing. All I’ve known It as growing up. 

I was a Dilworth resident from the Dark Ages. When South End was created as a place name I resisted in my brain as I knew, KNEW that Park Avenue Camden, Atherton Mill and so on were Dilworth, and had been from the beginning of their time. As years passed I adapted and then conceded that the commercial phase required a separation from the residential phase. So be it.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Belaboring this:

I was a Dilworth resident from the Dark Ages. When South End was created as a place name I resisted in my brain as I knew, KNEW that Park Avenue Camden, Atherton Mill and so on were Dilworth, and had been from the beginning of their time. As years passed I adapted and then conceded that the commercial phase required a separation from the residential phase. So be it.

Sorry to continue this slightly off topic sidebar (feel free to move it to the South End threat). Counter point, Camden was originally part of Wilmore. Few of the  1920-1930's single family homes in the Camden / Tryon / West wedge remain and the last few will be torn down with the Common Square project.  Also, that project name is awful. I'd take it being renamed "Wilmore Square" instead.

image.thumb.png.85f95a4e43876cc339a1430d57b83d3d.png

• Like 2