Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

45 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

FOR SALE  great redevelopment opportunity or short term mini warehouse tower  Available 2021  Prime location next to 2 block Legacy project and view of BofA stadium.  Call I-800-Power-On   Photo from 1980s but not really upgraded since.  Great fixer upper.  Neat light art work on side not included but negotiable.  

FullSizeRender (9).jpg

Kinda' looks like it belongs at Trade and McDowell. That is and always was and always will be one ugly structure with or without the el.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

The sign to the right that is missing its innards formerly advertised a Firestone store at that site. Likely used for parking at the time of the photo above. (in my memory)

That Firestone sign is now the home of the Bechtler art museum as that was First St now Levine Avenue of the Arts or something like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JorgiPorgi said:

I always loved that diamond design for the WTC, and was highly disappointed when they shelved it. That design would look amazing in Charlotte. Even if it was shortened to a 700 foot, 39 story tower. Would fit very well with the aesthetics of Charlotte. 

Foster’s design is still an option according to a recent interview with the developer.  I suspect that his design is the one that will rise since it has already been built to street level, and, therefore, it would be cheaper to construct than BIG’s.

That being said, “cheap” is a relative term in NY since most new office towers cost $4 to $5 billion to construct.

• Like 1

Just spent a month in Barcelona. Sagrada Familia is one strange looking building yet awe inspiring. I read recently they finally have an official building permit:-)  it would be pretty cool to be ready for the 2020 Olympics. How hard is it? Take down the scaffolding and call it done.

13 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Just spent a month in Barcelona. Sagrada Familia is one strange looking building yet awe inspiring. I read recently they finally have an official building permit:-)  it would be pretty cool to be ready for the 2020 Olympics. How hard is it? Take down the scaffolding and call it done.

2020 Olympics are in Tokyo.

On 12/11/2018 at 7:44 AM, SydneyCarton said:

I think that a 600 or 700' tower would look great here.  A new tallest will rise eventually,  and when it does, I hope that it exceeds 1,000'.

Shhhh!!! Charlotte isn't allowed to have a building taller than Atlanta. :tw_rage:

Anyways, I really love the new consturction in Charlotte, I wish we could get some taller buildings, but oh well. I'm looking forward to see the deisgn for this new tower.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I always was a bit bummed they let their historic HQ get torn down for the now Ally building, but the 526 S Church is surely destined for the dump like all brutalist buildings except a few reminders of that awful architectural period.  

Can't wait to see the design, but it will be interesting to see how they handle the infill nature of the building now that this location is not as visible from many directions from surrounding towers.  

• Like 2