AP3

509 South Tryon | Possible Duke Energy Tower

1 minute ago, Crucial_Infra said:

This feels like the last big chance for an iconic tower unless BofA or Wells try to go big again. Duke needs to make this 700+. In today's CLT and especially in that location, 500' is barely noticeable. 

If Duke disappoints, at least we’ll be able to characterize our skyline as “bland but busy.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

This feels like the last big chance for an iconic tower unless BofA or Wells try to go big again. Duke needs to make this 700+. In today's CLT and especially in that location, 500' is barely noticeable. 

This is a cost cutting move to reduce their square footage in Charlotte, not an ego mission to make the skyline taller like we saw with the banks in the 90's. They aren't going to go 700+ if they don't need that much space since this is a pure dollar and cents move.  Building a new 500' tower is simply cheaper in the long term than renovating their existing aging space and they can sell the land for the older properties they own, reducing their total square footage and real estate costs in Charlotte. 

I'd say be prepared for something very practical. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

This is a cost cutting move to reduce their square footage in Charlotte, not an ego mission to make the skyline taller like we saw with the banks in the 90's. They aren't going to go 700+ if they don't need that much space since this is a pure dollar and cents move.  Building a new 500' tower is simply cheaper in the long term than renovating their existing aging space and they can sell the land for the older properties they own, reducing their total square footage and real estate costs in Charlotte. 

I'd say be prepared for something very practical. 

Welllllll, they're doing stuff in Raleigh that suggests they're consolidating to Charlotte in the very near future, and they still won't have enough space in a 39 story tower to house all their peeps even without moving down the CP&L crew and the other folks who were relocated to the 919.

The Devon Tower is elegant in its simplicity, so just because it's not gonna look like a PPG knockoff doesn't give me pause; I just hope they don't go cheap on materials and build a Toronto/London/downtown Boston eyesore.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Welllllll, they're doing stuff in Raleigh that suggests they're consolidating to Charlotte in the very near future, and they still won't have enough space in a 39 story tower to house all their peeps even without moving down the CP&L crew and the other folks who were relocated to the 919

Here is a thought, what if they build DEC2 at 39 stories, and sell the parking deck/526 S Church to a developer that then builds DEC3 as the anchor on the new development?? Just something I have wondered about... Could be interesting.  I suppose it is also feasible they fit a second smaller tower on the same site as DEC2 (like LU2 to LU1).  There seems to be enough land to me.

I would love a 600 footer, but increased density would work if they properly manage the ground floor/pedestrian experience. 

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Mgelbach said:

I don't know if this is relevant but Duke does have a 400 person meeting coming up, February 19th.

Unleash the buyouts?

52 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Welllllll, they're doing stuff in Raleigh that suggests they're consolidating to Charlotte in the very near future, and they still won't have enough space in a 39 story tower to house all their peeps even without moving down the CP&L crew and the other folks who were relocated to the 919.

The Devon Tower is elegant in its simplicity, so just because it's not gonna look like a PPG knockoff doesn't give me pause; I just hope they don't go cheap on materials and build a Toronto/London/downtown Boston eyesore.

I'm certain it'll be glass curtain.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I was hoping for pre-cast concrete, columns and a grassy lawn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Just what CLT needs!  Seems like there's some chatter that it's gonna get shorter but IIRC you called it to get taller.  WHO IS RIGHT? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Just what CLT needs!  Seems like there's some chatter that it's gonna get shorter but IIRC you called it to get taller.  WHO IS RIGHT? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

I think it started around 670', was shortened to around 550' and now we might be somewhere around 600'. 

17 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think it started around 670', was shortened to around 550' and now we might be somewhere around 600'. 

Well, if the rumor holds (slight increase over 39 stories), 600’ would point to an elimination of a prominent roof element.

43 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Which reminds me of this article. 

https://www.dezeen.com/2018/05/04/blue-glass-pleated-khaki-facades-new-york-stone-concrete-brick-skyscrapers/amp/

"Blue glass is the pleated khaki of facades," Pasquarelli told Dezeen. "While some are spectacular, many glass facades have become a default design solution, usually when the client or the architect is out of ideas."

Edited by Matthew.Brendan

I’ve always wanted to see a gray glassed building. Something a bit like the Comcast Center (in certain lights) and the Leadenhall Building. 

But knowing CLT, we’ll get blue

16 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

I’ve always wanted to see a gray glassed building. Something a bit like the Comcast Center (in certain lights) and the Leadenhall Building. 

But knowing CLT, we’ll get blue

Why not Orange and Blue ?

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Dale said:

Well, if the rumor holds (slight increase over 39 stories), 600’ would point to an elimination of a prominent roof element.

well I 100% have to defer to @cmett003 and @DMann, I haven't heard or seen anything from this project in probably 12 months. I'm on the outside with everyone else. Though I'm trying to work my way inside somehow.

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

well I 100% have to defer to @cmett003 and @DMann, I haven't heard or seen anything from this project in probably 12 months. I'm on the outside with everyone else. Though I'm trying to work my way inside somehow.

A yellow vest might help.

59 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Which reminds me of this article. 

https://www.dezeen.com/2018/05/04/blue-glass-pleated-khaki-facades-new-york-stone-concrete-brick-skyscrapers/amp/

"Blue glass is the pleated khaki of facades," Pasquarelli told Dezeen. "While some are spectacular, many glass facades have become a default design solution, usually when the client or the architect is out of ideas."

Greg Pasquarelli's firm is one of the best architecture groups in the world.  I'm only familiar with their work on supertall structures in NY like 111 W 57th, 45 Broad, and 9 DeKalb, and the non-supertall but spectacular, twisting twin American Copper Buildings.  Personally, I'd like to see them design a tower in Charlotte.  

Edited by SydneyCarton

Floor Heights of Commercial office buildings vary greatly.  Anyone know a floor height minimum?  I'd typically guess 15.5' per floor but could go as high as 20'.  Just look at LU1...

I predict that anything like the first version will be the one that got away. 

Will be delighted to be shocked.

• Like 4

Thanks for the mock-up.  Quite a difference between a Salesforce/Gherkin hybrid and a PPG Place copy/paste.   I hope they choose to use darker materials and don't go full class curtain.  I would love a copper patina facade.

1 minute ago, EllAyyDub said:

Thanks for the mock-up.  Quite a difference between a Salesforce/Gherkin hybrid and a PPG Place copy/paste.   I hope they choose to use darker materials and don't go full class curtain.  I would love a copper patina facade.

The fudge you think this is 57th St?  Naw bruh, it's cornflower blue all the way

• Like 1
  • Haha 1