Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

9 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

I grew up in the San Diego area and moved away at 24. I'm back home every 6 months or so though (please take me home right now until Spring, it is too cold haha!) There definitely are lots of tall towers in San Diego and lots of new buildings going up, just meant the stubby skyline and lack of standout architecture due to the height restrictions doesn't make it feel like a superior skyline that Charlotte needs to "overtake" to join a big league. I would say the two skylines are already in the same league. With 800,000 more people in the metro area (32% bigger), San Diego's skyline just doesn't look much bigger than Charlotte's in my opinion given the population difference.

Now ground level density and walkability... San Diego blows CLT out of the water. Also, the San Diego skyline has a way more beautiful natural setting. 

Following on to my earlier reply to this comment, the winter in Charlotte is pretty short so I think you'll make it.  :) But I understand.  The San Diego weather just can't be beat.  If I achieve my retirement dream of a second home in Charlotte, I would probably be there in the spring and fall, then San Diego for the summer and winter.

It hadn't occurred to me that there are 800K more people in this metro compared to Charlotte.  I figured Charlotte could catch up because its population growth rate is more than double San Diego's, but that's a big number to surpass.  And that doesn't even count the 1.8 million more in Tijuana.  One thing for sure, though, Charlotte has endless opportunity for infill development and growth.  There is such an abundance of available land starting just blocks from Trade and Tryon.  Even if the city limits never expand again, the population can continue to explode within those limits.  That seems to be happening now with the (thank goodness) greater emphasis on urban development.

You're right that San Diego's skyline doesn't look bigger than Charlotte's from certain angles, but driving south along I-5 and see how far it stretches.  And just being on the ground, it's one walkable neighborhood after another, so you feel the difference.  And sitting in a restaurant in Coronado or Shelter Island, especially at night, and seeing the skyline across the water it suddenly becomes amazing in spite of all those "stubby" and boxy buildings.

Edited by JacksonH

8 hours ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

So, two things, both serious questions:

1)  San Diego is - without a doubt in my mind - the most beautiful city in North America.  I would move there tomorrow if I could find a job that didn't involve a minuscule pay increase for a massive COLA.  So, not to be a wag (but I guess I'll be a wag anyway...) who cares how tall the buildings are?  San Diego is peerless as an NA city, and flying into the airport is always a fun experience.  Dear Charlotte: worry less about the height and size of your skyline and more about building a city;

2)  Have ya been to Phoenix?  The skyline looks like Winston-Salem.   Baltimore is a joke and dangerous AF.  Detroit has a really beautiful skyline but it's not as many buildings as ya think and also, dangerous AF.  St Louis: also a joke, also dangerous AF.  My favorite corollary is driving north through Richmond and being like, wow, it's a hell of a lot bigger than I thought when you've got the straightaway a couple miles out, only to get on top of it and realize it's a bunch of 15 and 20 story buildings.  

Charlotte will surpass most of the cities directly ahead of it in terms of 150m and taller buildings in pretty short order.  Like most of you, I care more about what's at the bottom of the buildings and what the buildings look like than how many or how tall they are.

/rant

I gotta stick up for Baltimore, too.  :tw_smiley:  Having lived many years in DC, I can tell you it's a frequent destination for people there.  The Inner Harbor area is great, and I loved taking the water taxi over to Fell's Point for lunch (although I only did it once :).  And a game at Camden Yards is hard to beat.  Sure, Baltimore has its issues, but it also has its pluses.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, skymiler said:

That sounds great.  Is there a thread and rendering for it?  I looked back several pages and couldn't find anything. 

There is. it somewhere in here. The renderings there are not up to date though, theres a new version with dark blue glass out there somewhere, haven't been able to get a full shot.

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

There is. it somewhere in here. The renderings there are not up to date though, theres a new version with dark blue glass out there somewhere, haven't been able to get a full shot.

Thanks,  and sorry for the mini hijacking of the 509 Duke Energy thread.

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I was just (re)reading up on this project today.  This is going to be absolutely spectacular and will be something Charlotteans can be really, really proud of. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, DCMetroRaleigh said:

Baltimore has a spectacular skyline 

It's very dense (which is something that Charlotte somewhat comparatively lacks because of the age difference of the cities). And it is gorgeous from the inner harbor.

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.png.fe09b79875cc9987be81440bd923d05e.png

Yea just imagine all the pink completed. Nashville & Austin cannot compete with that, and guess what, we aren't done with announcements boys and girls.

It’s unfortunate The Vue gets blocked at this angle. There really isn’t a good angle to capture the entire skyline without leaving one of the higher buildings out. 

• Like 1

Charlotte's skyline will really bloom when the day comes that the demand for condos grows.  Many of the signature buildings that have been added recently to the NY and Chicago skylines are condo towers.    Even outside of Manhattan, the tallest towers u/c/ in Brooklyn, Long Island City, and Jersey City are condos, including 900 footers in JC and LIC and a 1,200' tower in Brooklyn.

The same will happen in Charlotte some day, and it will really transform the skyline.

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Charlotte's skyline will really bloom when the day comes that the demand for condos grows.  Many of the signature buildings that have been added recently to the NY and Chicago skylines are condo towers.    Even outside of Manhattan, the tallest towers u/c/ in Brooklyn, Long Island City, and Jersey City are condos, including 900 footers in JC and LIC and a 1,200' tower in Brooklyn.

The same will happen in Charlotte some day, and it will really transform the skyline.

Demand for condos in Charlotte is already there. Land/Construction prices are just way too high, and you have to self finance, no loans. NYC has a GDP larger than Russia and South Korea, almost as much as all of Canada, so theres a LOT of money to throw around.

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

I just can't see Charlotte as sparse. It's Core is actually super dense- I don't  know why people doubt Charlotte's density(uptown, not the city as a whole). 

To me density means places people live, eat and shop not office buildings. Charlotte is very sparse using that definition. 

FWIW: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_density

21 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

you betcha

I avoided commenting on this yesterday, but it has been 24 hours and I am still thinking about it.  Damn you, @ricky_davis_fan_21 , lol.  (In all seriousness that is really exciting)

I can't help myself, even if this is the wrong thread.  I have 2 questions:

1. Can you tell us what ward?

2. Does it involve relocation or expansion?

30 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I avoided commenting on this yesterday, but it has been 24 hours and I am still thinking about it.  Damn you, @ricky_davis_fan_21 , lol.  (In all seriousness that is really exciting)

I can't help myself, even if this is the wrong thread.  I have 2 questions:

1. Can you tell us what ward?

2. Does it involve relocation or expansion?

Anyone ever thought about renaming Southend, downtown? or maybe fifth ward?

Edited by Guest