Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sorry to have offended anyone.  I don't know anyone for whom $30 per month would make a difference.  I guess there are a lot more destitute people in NC than I thought.

7 hours ago, elrodvt said:

You obviously have no empathy for the poor. Think about what you're saying. Maybe read a book about the life of a person living in poverty.

Read a book instead of watching TV. There's an energy saving tip that Sid didn't think of (I know that's not your point).

Edited by jednc
It's possible I misunderstood what you meant with your comment. For the sake of civility I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt.
  • Like 1

Sorry to have offended anyone.  I don't know anyone for whom $30 per month would make a difference.  I guess there are a lot more destitute people in NC than I thought.

You don’t know anyone? Who gives a hoot who you know. No one. Congratulations you are one of the most ignorant, selfish, out of touch people in all of North Carolina.

I’m glad you live in North Carolina and you’ve only been to Myers Park and Chapel Hill in your time here too. If you are so fortunate to never have to rub elbow with someone in the other 95+% then I would suggest you look into some service opportunities to broaden your horizons.

Oh and you don’t need to know anyone. Just do some basic math. Look up what minimum wage is, and figure what expenses might be for say a single mom with 3 kids and take it from there. Could $30 make a difference? What percentage of their net income is that?

apologies for getting off topic more but dang...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Lets get this thread back on track. Here is a photo of the parking lot that Duke Energy bought across from the Mint Museum.  I took this photo in August.  

IMG_0060.JPG

As far as speculation goes, I know people on the forum have tossed around the idea of the taller tower (Duke’s HQ, speculated at ~500ft, or so) being on the Tryon side, and a shorter tower (possibly a hotel) being on the College St. side on this parcel.

I’m wondering if it would look better reverse with Duke’s tower on the College side, assuming there actually ends up being 2 highrises on this land. I think it would add more balance to the skyline and obscure the original DEC less.

Just food for thought...

• Like 2

RE grid modernization: Really? I don't doubt you, but I had not heard that modernization was part of the plan, my understanding of the rate request was it was about managing increasing costs plus the coal ash issue.  Where do they discuss their grid modernization plans?

https://news.duke-energy.com/releases/duke-energy-embarks-on-a-10-year-initiative-to-strengthen-north-carolina-s-energy-grid

While this article on Duke’s website does not specify the source of the funding, you’ve gotta think $13 billion isn’t just out of thin air, it’s coming from somewhere. That somewhere is probably the reasoning they can’t as easily foot the bill for coal ash remediation.

I think most of us can reasonably agree that Duke NEEDS the office space and that it will lead to long-term cost savings. The problem will be press coverage leading their less-informed viewers to believe the rate hike that will be hitting their wallets soon is directly related to a shiny new building. Sometimes freedom of the press can backfire.

• Like 2

The US is behind on all aspects of infrastructure investment. I totally agree that customers footing the bill for coal ash clean up is ridiculous but raising rates to create an up to date grid that for one thing could allow individual and businesses that invest in solar to feed their excess energy back on the grid consistently is going to be the way of the future.  

Duke needs more office space just like they need to update the grid. they are growing and our society is growing. Duke is building an addition onto their call center in Charlotte as we speak. That is not for fun, or because they are loosing customers it is because they are growing. 

I hope a fair rate hike gets approved and Duke can continue doing what they need to do to provide us with good service. 

• Like 3

There isn't any reason for a tower on this lot to be taller than the current DEC with all the new space recently delivered, under construction, or about to be under construction.

But I'd bet this lot will be as transformative as legacy Union or Tryon place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

You must be new here :)

No, I’ve been reading here for years. Just recently started commenting. Anyway- I would love something to go up here- but we really haven’t heard any news of it as of late. My guess is like what has been speculated. Something that matches DEC as far as materials are concerned. 500 ft range, and not a box on top.  I’m pretty sure that’s all we “kind of “ know. 

If this isn’t likely right now- why are we still speculating?  Every day, this thread is bumped up, with absolutely no news. 

I think it will happen. It’s needed, they will figure out how to make it work. It just not be in the same financial configuration. Or it will. Who knows. They need the space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk