Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

I think a new tallest in that location wouldn't kill the skyline at all. In fact it'd be so close to DEC which is such a monster, it would still compete for attention. 

My hope is it wouldn't be much taller than BOACC or it risks looking silly. 900-915' should be tops. A spire could go higher than that but don't want a roof level above 900' for sure or it will hurt the skyline balance imo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

I honestly cannot think of a worse place to put the new tallest in Charlotte, I can’t imagine it, It’s just in an awkward plot in my opinion.

At the very least, it will serve as a good excuse to start building up in South End.  It would be great to see some height in South End.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Keep in mind, North Tryon area has plenty of opportunities for tall buildings. We could end up with a balanced skyline in the end.

Side note, the view from a tall coaster at carowinds is pretty impressive with the color variations. Never been brave enough to snap a pic while on one, but the skyline looks great from the SC line.

• Like 4

While I agree that a 900 footer would be good for balance, I don’t think a building 1000 feet, or just a hair over would really hurt, and Charlotte could finally claim we have 1000 foot building (I know it’s been discussed on this form before that having tall buildings does not necessarily make a city world class, but let’s be honest here, it would be cool)

I know it’s a pipe dream, but a super tall 2000 footer would look wayyy out of place, but can you imagine??  

Back to reality though, I could definitely see charlottes new tallest going on this property, I know Charlotte is a fast-growing office market, but if Duke is trying to use this building primarily for their own offices, they probably don’t need as much square footage as would be in a traditional thousand foot building, but this is a relatively small lot, not to mention the likelihood of a hotel on the property as has been discussed here before, meaning that this could be a very tall and skinny tower, something that uptown doesn’t really have. 

• Like 2

Prob just speculation but I'll bite bc it's fun lol.  Although RDF mentioned something mainly about it being a box with a "crown" feature with 4 points...I would really hope they go back to the drawing board on this...I would love if Trump Tower (just the design of the tower guys lol) came back to fruition.  Here is a screenshot from this really cool youtube video of it too that I have never seen.  Looks like something of this scale could definitely fit on Duke's #2 site.   The smaller tower could be our 1000-roomer too.  Here is the youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxCta-h6ydE You're the biggest utility company in the country, do it big!

123.png.19ffc6bcd4f83748fc9b646bf099bd47.png

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

It would rather a 1000 footer be on the north side, but I’m definitely down for this. Charlotte loves to build its building real close together, so this wouldn’t be an exception. It will definetely -Stub-ify the skyline with views from the west, especially the airport. However a y’all building like that would look great with DEC so close. 

2 hours ago, nicholas said:

If they end up appearing and disappearing like that after they're built, Charlotte will put itself on the worldwide map for sure.

Maybe it's time Copperfield visit our fair city again. "Pretty wild" #neverforget. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

So I know this is a “rumor“ but how much fact is it based off of? Obviously somebody heard something, but was it through the grapevine, or was this from a legitimate source that cannot be named? The only reason I ask is because I don’t want to start spreading false information that Charlotte might be getting a new tower, when in reality it’s not even likely  based on any solid information. 

• Like 1