Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

On 6/8/2017 at 0:33 PM, orulz said:

I would have a hard time believing that imploding the building at 526 S Church would be economical. Interior updates and a ground level refresh could go a long way towards making it look like less of a hospital. Better to sell it off.

I don't know if this is true or not - but I've always heard that Duke has control/monitoring systems tied into that building that cover large portions of both Carolinas. It doesn't mean it can't be moved - but it would be very costly to do it. So, it makes sense to me that they'd rather build a new office tower that they own outright so they can then move these permanent systems over there. That would then free them up to do whatever with the Church St building.  

My only question, then is whether or not it should be town down. While it wouldn't bother me too much, it's probably Charlotte's only example of brutalist architecture and as much as I hate it I also try to be as objective as possible when it comes to historic preservation.

• Like 3

^^^  Only interested in saving it if it becomes a museum of some sort.  Brutalism isn't very competitive for office/residential uses.

I think they do have mission critical stuff in there as well as their energy trading desk, but you are right, moving it to a facility they will own gives them a sense of permanency that probably would justify the cost of doing so.

They would have ~3.85 acres on Church street, and possibly could also sell their parking deck for redevelopment across Mint St. (though something would have to be worked out with the hotel).....All together, land less demo costs are still probably worth $50-$60mm.

20 hours ago, cltcane said:

I just want the groovy 1980s geometric light panel on the Stonewall side of the building saved and relocated.  I'm not sure why, but it's always been one of my favorite public art installations in Uptown. 

It was a great game-day landmark meet-up spot back in the day 

20 hours ago, cltcane said:

I just want the groovy 1980s geometric light panel on the Stonewall side of the building saved and relocated.  I'm not sure why, but it's always been one of my favorite public art installations in Uptown. 

Some info on that piece, "Quadrille." It's actually a 1996 installation.

https://www.ilight-tech.com/quadrille-case-study/

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:49 AM, Spartan said:

I don't know if this is true or not - but I've always heard that Duke has control/monitoring systems tied into that building that cover large portions of both Carolinas. It doesn't mean it can't be moved - but it would be very costly to do it. So, it makes sense to me that they'd rather build a new office tower that they own outright so they can then move these permanent systems over there. That would then free them up to do whatever with the Church St building.  

My only question, then is whether or not it should be town down. While it wouldn't bother me too much, it's probably Charlotte's only example of brutalist architecture and as much as I hate it I also try to be as objective as possible when it comes to historic preservation.

To U City area for a variety of reasons.  I'm no longer in the loop but pretty certain those assets are leaving the uptown/downtown area.

• Like 1

Parking lot Duke bought for their proposed 30+ story tower.  I dont see this building 526 S Church  being sold or going anywhere. It is owned by Duke and the replacement cost would be so high unlikely to sell it. As for some control center functions moving to Univ. Research Park campus I would say highly likely.  It is secure and out of the center city and Duke is a lot bigger utility now than in the past. 

DSCN2686.JPG

DSCN2668.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
added photo of 526 S Church
  • Like 2

Part of the reason I'm incredibly optimistic about this project is I remember a few past Charlotte threads on assorted other things where they mentioned this parcel, and it was commented that the seller was looking for "the right type of project" or something stunning to sell for. Yes it's still possible that the culprit was just a price high enough for it, but in this type of scenario it's hard not to believe that any preliminary info the sellers received might have wowed them enough to get their seal of approval.

Also, it's certainly in one of the most premiere blocks of uptown, so it'd take a real piece of work not to address that with quality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eightane said:

Part of the reason I'm incredibly optimistic about this project is I remember a few past Charlotte threads on assorted other things where they mentioned this parcel, and it was commented that the seller was looking for "the right type of project" or something stunning to sell for. Yes it's still possible that the culprit was just a price high enough for it, but in this type of scenario it's hard not to believe that any preliminary info the sellers received might have wowed them enough to get their seal of approval.

Also, it's certainly in one of the most premiere blocks of uptown, so it'd take a real piece of work not to address that with quality.

I'm not optimistic about this project. DEC is already the crown jewel for Duke, so if it is going to be part of a "campus" its not going to take away from their star building so I'm expecting a box. 

27 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

I'm not optimistic about this project. DEC is already the crown jewel for Duke, so if it is going to be part of a "campus" its not going to take away from their star building so I'm expecting a box. 

As mentioned on page 1, DEC is leased and not owned by Duke with their lease ending December 31, 2019. It's Wells Fargo's star building.

Reason enough to stay optimistic for now!

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

As mentioned on page 1, DEC is leased and not owned by Duke with their lease ending December 31, 2019. It's Wells Fargo's star building. Reason enough to stay optimistic for now!

I'd expect 550-600 feet, and a box with some ornamentation, it's not going to be ground breaking, but it'll be nice. I think everyone should expect a hotel fronting college, though the two people I've talked to have not mentioned one. Seems to obvious a place to build a huge hotel, that I'm not ruling it out. My biggest worry is that there isn't enough time to dig parking to complete this by late 2019. I'd expect 35-40 floors of office fronting Tryon, with a well masked above ground deck facing college, with a hotel tower on top. Ground floor retail on all sides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'd expect 550-600 feet, and a box with some ornamentation, it's not going to be ground breaking, but it'll be nice. I think everyone should expect a hotel fronting college, though the two people I've talked to have not mentioned one. Seems to obvious a place to build a huge hotel, that I'm not ruling it out. My biggest worry is that there isn't enough time to dig parking to complete this by late 2019

How quickly should we begin to see site work?

How quickly should we begin to see site work?

I'd say November or December, maybe sooner, depending on how fast this can get through planning. LH had ground moving within a few months of closing, I'd expect this to do the same.

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'd say November or December, maybe sooner, depending on how fast this can get through planning. LH had ground moving within a few months of closing, I'd expect this to do the same.

Once this and Tryon Place get built, the Stonewall side of DT is going to be fairly built out. The surface parking lots are becoming endandured! The area around the arena should be next.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2017 at 4:01 PM, RiverwoodCLT said:

As one of the largest utility company in USA, it need an iconic tower, and not a mid rise in the suburbs.

It's the largest by most standards and just barely second by market value. And considered one of the healthiest major utility companies in the country.

They have enough need for room to grow to easily have operations in U City and still build a large office tower of their own in Uptown.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

As mentioned on page 1, DEC is leased and not owned by Duke with their lease ending December 31, 2019. It's Wells Fargo's star building.

Reason enough to stay optimistic for now!

Seems like WFC, Duke, and BAC all have significant leases ending around 2019.  Going to be a lot of movement around Uptown if each are planning to build a new tower (or WFC move more over to Duke Energy).  Will be interesting to see how the market absorbs it all.