Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

4 minutes ago, cmett003 said:

Can confirm with another inside source that there have been 2 designs and is now being redesigned a 3rd time. I have seen models of both of the first designs. The initial design is bad ass! 2nd one is pretty basic. Nothing like what has been proposed on here. Also the 2nd design is around 35 stories and 500'

Can you give us a little taste of why the first one is bad ass?:tw_grimace:

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, cmett003 said:

It was all glass and had a oval/curved shape to it like some of the stuff you see in New York or China. The model looked well over 600', maybe close to 700'.  The second design looked shorter and was rectangular and boxy. Was told that they are working on the third design and no one has seen it yet. 

That's all I have. 

thats all i needed. Thanks 

I feel like if it was between the two options, we would get the latter (less expensive, less risky option).  But as the largest utility company in the country, I would hope they would want to flex their architectural boundaries a little.  Cmett, any indication that this project will contain a hotel on site?  With the size of that lot and the proximity to the convention center, would make sense to have one facing college.

1 minute ago, CLT704 said:

Well I'm going to be disappointed if that's not built now! Why did they redesign it? 

Costs

6 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I feel like if it was between the two options, we would get the latter (less expensive, less risky option).  But as the largest utility company in the country, I would hope they would want to flex their architectural boundaries a little.  Cmett, any indication that this project will contain a hotel on site?  With the size of that lot and the proximity to the convention center, would make sense to have one facing college.

I dont think so but I didnt see the backside. Only saw the views from Tryon St.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Even if it’s just a forty story box, the facade details could make it amazing.  Look at Tryon Place.  If one just saw a massing model sketch,  Tryon Place/Ally Center would appear to be a very boring, simple box.  In reality, however, the facade details make it spectacular.

Also, dare I say it is hard to screw up a box, but it can be easy to screw up a building with unique architectural elements.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crucial_Infra said:

This feels like the last big chance for an iconic tower unless BofA or Wells try to go big again. Duke needs to make this 700+. In today's CLT and especially in that location, 500' is barely noticeable. 

If Duke disappoints, at least we’ll be able to characterize our skyline as “bland but busy.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

This feels like the last big chance for an iconic tower unless BofA or Wells try to go big again. Duke needs to make this 700+. In today's CLT and especially in that location, 500' is barely noticeable. 

This is a cost cutting move to reduce their square footage in Charlotte, not an ego mission to make the skyline taller like we saw with the banks in the 90's. They aren't going to go 700+ if they don't need that much space since this is a pure dollar and cents move.  Building a new 500' tower is simply cheaper in the long term than renovating their existing aging space and they can sell the land for the older properties they own, reducing their total square footage and real estate costs in Charlotte. 

I'd say be prepared for something very practical. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

This is a cost cutting move to reduce their square footage in Charlotte, not an ego mission to make the skyline taller like we saw with the banks in the 90's. They aren't going to go 700+ if they don't need that much space since this is a pure dollar and cents move.  Building a new 500' tower is simply cheaper in the long term than renovating their existing aging space and they can sell the land for the older properties they own, reducing their total square footage and real estate costs in Charlotte. 

I'd say be prepared for something very practical. 

Welllllll, they're doing stuff in Raleigh that suggests they're consolidating to Charlotte in the very near future, and they still won't have enough space in a 39 story tower to house all their peeps even without moving down the CP&L crew and the other folks who were relocated to the 919.

The Devon Tower is elegant in its simplicity, so just because it's not gonna look like a PPG knockoff doesn't give me pause; I just hope they don't go cheap on materials and build a Toronto/London/downtown Boston eyesore.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Welllllll, they're doing stuff in Raleigh that suggests they're consolidating to Charlotte in the very near future, and they still won't have enough space in a 39 story tower to house all their peeps even without moving down the CP&L crew and the other folks who were relocated to the 919

Here is a thought, what if they build DEC2 at 39 stories, and sell the parking deck/526 S Church to a developer that then builds DEC3 as the anchor on the new development?? Just something I have wondered about... Could be interesting.  I suppose it is also feasible they fit a second smaller tower on the same site as DEC2 (like LU2 to LU1).  There seems to be enough land to me.

I would love a 600 footer, but increased density would work if they properly manage the ground floor/pedestrian experience. 

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 1