Duke Energy Plaza Headquarters | 40 Story formerly Charlotte Metro Tower

AP3

To make this EVEN WORSE, I reverse google image searched the author, after its clear hes not a real person, as he has no social media presence. They are using an image of the pakastani actor Hamza Ali Abbasi for the "author byline"

Looks familiar right?

5785515a421d3-bpfull.jpg.b56df499367f5e8c389810a41a172b54.jpg

Author Byline

maxresdefault-1.thumb.jpg.2844ae2e5f7cd8fc798c600ca3596477.jpgPress Pic from Good Morning Pakistan

Edited by Guest

Speaking of Duke here are some photos of their data center in the University Research Park  on David Taylor Drive and a photo their entrance into 95 acre Research Drive property.  I checked into property records that data center on South College St next to convention center is owned by Duke Energy so they may be prepping to sell that and go into space they own uptown or in the University Research Park. Since they lease lots of space in 400 South Tryon and in the Wells Fargo owned Duke Energy Center. they might like another big corporations favor an owner model of real estate to control their own destiny. They have lots of security and fencing around their new buildings in both University Research Park locations.

Past Business Journal article on the University locations https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2014/09/12/duke-energybuys-university-area-land-for-office.html

DSCN3076.JPG

DSCN3077.JPG

DSCN3078.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

few photos of where the new Duke Energy power tower will be. The design, height is classified but the location is not. Imagine a tower in this spot. And some one with good graphic skills could put a tower in these photos. A tower here will really fill in the skyline.  

On a serious note I believe they are very tight lipped about it due to their asking the NC Utility commission for a rate hike in half of their NC service area. 

1. to right of the St Peters Church 2 behind the brick manse 3. to right on the existing Duke Energy Center

DSCN3091.JPG

DSCN3093.JPG

DSCN3103.JPG

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

few photos of where the new Duke Energy power tower will be. The design, height is classified but the location is not. Imagine a tower in this spot. And some one with good graphic skills could put a tower in these photos. A tower here will really fill in the skyline.  

On a serious note I believe they are very tight lipped about it due to their asking the NC Utility commission for a rate hike in half of their NC service area. 

1. to right of the St Peters Church 2 behind the brick manse 3. to right on the existing Duke Energy Center

DSCN3091.JPG

DSCN3093.JPG

DSCN3103.JPG

I think it also has to do with a crap ton of people currently living in Raleigh that are now wondering if they have to move to Charlotte in a couple years

2 minutes ago, Merthecat said:

Why do you think there are so many? (I'm one of them)

Good Point I don't actually know how many Duke/Progress Energy employees there are in Raleigh. I have been unable to find out. 

From 2016 Triangle Biz Journal article about 1000 jobs promised to keep for 4 years in Raleigh. No word if this new proposed building changes that. I believe some may transfer but Raleigh is so big and center for their eastern operations I see many staying there. I view this building as Wells saying we need more space in own building Duke Energy Center and leases at 400 South Tryon building expiring and coming up. I think they want to go an owner occupied model of controlling their own destiny instead of leasing so much space. https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/print-edition/2016/03/04/good-opens-up-about-local-jobs-clean-energy-dan.html  Not to mention the Piedmont Natural Gas office workers in SouthPark 

More articles from 2015 says pledge of 1000 employees is up in 2017 from the article linked below:

Duke is obligated to keep at least 1,000 employees in Raleigh until at least the 2017 anniversary of the Progress deal – a pledge Duke spokesman Thomas Williams says the company has more than kept. Without being specific, he says the company currently exceeds that 1,000 headcount in Raleigh. A year ago, the number was 1,500.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/techflash/2015/12/duke-energy-job-cuts.html

Edited by KJHburg
More links
  • Like 2

In another bit of (older) news. Duke put a 348 acre tract of land up for sale in June. The land is along Lake Wylie in York County. I wonder if they are planning on using the sale of that land to help finance this building without pissing off investors. Timing seems a little too coincidental.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2017 at 9:13 AM, CarolinaCrown said:

Random fun fact, I talked with a contractor who worked on/built the current data center, and said that they encountered a mineshaft while digging out it's basement. It took about 750 yards just to see the concrete and 900 yards of to get filled. 

Wow, that's about a $200,000 change order.  On a related note, a mineshaft was encountered while test drilling for 300 South Tryon.  There was a void from about 60 to 90 feet below the street grade.  

• 5 weeks later...